Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Paying back tax instead of lean/mortage on house
    I am looking to but a house near to city I live in and want to pay the back taxes instead of the mortgage on the house and own it from that. I don't know where to go or where to start looking to be able to do so. I am new to trying this or buying a house
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Of, first don't expect to find anything nice for taxes, you will find abandoned homes, homes that belonged to someone who died and have not paid taxes on the property for a few years.

Nice homes that have mortages on them, the mortgage company will come in a few days before the tax sell and pay the taxes to keep them from selling.

In the US, your county tax collector will have a sell one time a year, this will be a auction at the court house steps. And of course the nicer ones that actually get to the sell will go at auction, so they will sell for much more than just the taxes due. Next in some states you will not get a deed the day of the sale but merely a certificate, and after a redemption period of up to three years, you turn the certificate in for a deed.
    The rules vary by STATE in the US.

So if you don't mind buying a real "fix it up" you can find some that way, the best I found so far had to have all plumbing replaced, painted inside and out, had no working heating or air system and had sat empty for about 2 years so a lot of broken out windows and some crack person was sleeping on the property. The rest of the properties I have bought for taxes have went down from there, including one with a 4 foot hole in the roof with part of a tree sticking in the roof where it broke off in a storm.

So you ask the property tax clerk in your area when they have their auction. Also remember no use looking at any prior to a week before, since about 80 perect on the sale list before that are all paid prior to the sale, even a week before many will still have been paid for prior to the sale. Some will be paid the moring of the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

Buyer stopped paying - don't want property back [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, this gets complicated. I will try to keep it as simple as possible. I have inherited this problem from my Dad, who is in his 80s and is in failing health. About 30 years ago, my father and his five siblings (living in Texas and Oklahoma) inherited property (a gas station) in Oregon from a...

Paying back a loan [ 2 Answers ]

I loaned my sister $500 last October and made a verbal agreement with her that the money would be paid back when she received her income tax check. That time has come and gone , she spent all of her check and now says that she cannot pay me back. I think that her first priority was to pay me back....

Paying the Back Taxes on a house instead of buying it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tina from Missouri, My husband and I are looking to buy a house and I know there is a way that we can pay the back taxes on a house instead of the price they are selling it at. Where do I start, and what do I do. I have no clue where to look or who to talk to and if there are any...

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

View more questions Search