Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2023, 04:46 AM
    What good are regulations that are not enforced ?
    This banking crisis has and will bring a clarion call for more regulations of the banking industry. We've already had Clueless Joe pathetically blame Trump for a slight deregulation that had no impact .

The Federal Reserve system failed in more ways than can be written in a short post. So I focus on one .

What Clueless did not mention in his blame shifting is that the regulators knew in the summer what was going to happen to SVB . If you listen to the Slimes ;the Feds knew since 2021 that the bank was in danger .

Before Collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, the Fed Spotted Big Problems - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Supervisors from the San Fran Fed gave SVB six citation under warnings titled "matters requiring attention" and "matters requiring immediate attention," flagging liquidity concerns. the issues went unaddressed at the bank.

They did a more thorough review in the summer of 2022. They found that SVB had inadequate oversight and control measures. In other words NONE .But instead of demanding they fix the problems ,they placed the bank under restrictions about expansion.

They met again with SVB in the fall to examine the bank's liquidity again.
    Everyone on the planet who has basic economics understanding knew that raising interest rates would impact the bond market ....everyone except maybe SVB execs . Or maybe they just assumed that with inflation rates hovering near 10% that the Fed would leave rates near zero. SVB thought that higher rates would be to their benefit. Their bond holdings cost them $620 billion in unrealized losses.

The regulators again conducted a review of SVB early this year. The bank still had inadequacies . SVB's top execs started the process of personally bailing out of the sinking ship . But did nothing to fix the problems the regulators were warning them about for over a year.

Yeah the execs were irresponsible . But what did the regulators actually do to prevent what happened ? Not only did they not insist that the bank make corrections . They covered it up !!

Fed Blocked Mention of Regulatory Flaws in Silicon Valley Bank Rescue - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Government officials had intended to include a statement on the flaws in banking regulation that led to the implosion of SVB .But they were excluded it from a joint statement by the Fed,Treasury ,and FDIC

Federal Reserve Board - Joint Statement by Treasury, Federal Reserve, and FDIC

Instead they had the cajónes to praise the regulations !!!

The U.S. banking system remains resilient and on a solid foundation, in large part due to reforms that were made after the financial crisis that ensured better safeguards for the banking industry..

If it wasn't so pathetically sad it would be comical. , There were plenty of regulations and processes in place to prevent the catastrophe that occurred at SVB. But what good were they when the San Fran Fed (where SVB CEO Greg Becker was on the overseer board) sat by and did nothing ?

Check out some similar questions!

Help me get support order enforced [ 0 Answers ]

He drives a furniture truck for a co. Not on their payroll a independent contractor but he has a time to work and they tell him where to go the warehouse he works for says he works there order comes they send paperwork stated he hasn't worked there I nine months. Called hq no record but he still...

In WA, RCW 28A.600.480, exactly how is it supposed to be enforced? [ 0 Answers ]

Would like to know if anyone can tell me legally? Or from personal experience? Who enforces this state code and what are the penalties or consequences in violating it? This would not be a student violating it but an adult and so suspension can't be the result. Proof is in vicious writings. And if...

Regulations - good or bad [ 55 Answers ]

Hello: I'm for removing ALL the regulations about food safety. I'm a winger too. The protection a consumer should have is to sue.. But, wait... The people who don't want regulations, ALSO want to limit how much you can sue for... They want it BOTH ways. I don't know about you, but it...

Can this Will be enforced ? [ 22 Answers ]

Hello- I'd appreciate some responses from any experts regarding Will and Testament. My mother is elderly and has some real estate interests in properties in Maryland. Exactly what her shares are is yet to be determined in court. She does not want to discuss these issues now for fear of retaliation...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.