Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2023, 05:32 AM
    East Palestine forgotten
    The toxic cloud that polluted the waters at East Palestine made it's way to PA ;a state with no Senate representation.

Trump went to East Palestine . Mayor Pete then decided he better go there .

Will Clueless Joe go ? NO ......he made that clear as he headed off for a weekend vacation .

The man who was once dubbed 'Amtrack Joe' because he took the train and by implication related to the common folks has now forgotten them (then again ;he forgets many things these days ).

Q Will you go to East Palestine, Ohio? Are you planning to travel to East Palestine, Ohio?
    THE PRESIDENT: This time, I’m not. I was — I did a whole video — I mean — you know, the — what the hell — on —
    Q Zoom?
    THE PRESIDENT: Zoom! Zoom. All I can hear every time I think of Zoom is that song of my generation, “Who’s Zoomin’ Who?”
    Q Sir —
    Q Have you —
    THE PRESIDENT: Guys, wait, wait, wait. Let me answer the question.
    The answer is that I — I had a long meeting with my team as to what they’re doing. You know, we were there two hours after the train went down. Two hours. I’ve spoken with every single major figure in both the Uni- — in both Pennsylvania and in O- — and in Ohio.
    And so, the idea that we’re not engaged is just simply not — not there. And, initially, there was not a request for me to go out, even before I was heading over to Kyiv.
    So, I’m keeping very close tabs on it. We’re doing all we can.
    Remarks by President Biden Before Marine One Departure - The White House

Mayor Trent Conaway says he has not had a 'zoom ' with the WH or any other call from the President .So either Clueless or the mayor is lying . Conway was furious when the President went to Ukraine on President's Day with $ millions pledges pf support.

When there was floods in blue state California Joe could not wait to take the transcontinental plane ride to be on site so he could ACT Presidential .

Biden assesses storm damage in California from floods, landslides (usatoday.com)

But the bitter clinger basket of deplorables who Clueless said were "a clear and present danger" to democracy during the campaign ......folks in a blue city; don't merit his concern. Can the people of East Palestine be blamed for wondering how their situation is different from California? Wait ...that's it. California's floods can be linked to the Dem climate change agenda . Don't let a crisis go to waste .

There is no more Amtrack Joe or Scranton Joe the defender of the common folks . There is only Elite Swamp critter Joe .
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2023, 06:29 PM
    Clueless today said he would visit Est Palestine .......eventually . He gave no definitive date .

Flashback September 19 ,1977 . Black Monday to the people of Appalachia. Youngstown Sheet and Tube (the area's largest employer).suddenly without notice furloughed 5,000 employees. Youngstown was the heart of the working class steel industry . Its closure was the end of an era . Within 5 years 50,000 people lost their jobs in the industry Support businesses went belly up The region lost 100,000 population within a decade.. The mill shutdown began the era of rust belt .

East Palestine is 29 miles from Youngstown. .

On the night of Black Monday a petition began to circulate asking Jimmy Carter to intervene on behalf of the American steel industry and defend it from Chinese imported cheap steel. Over 100,000 signatures were gathered and sent to DC . Senator John Glenn carried the petition to the Capitol Steps . Jimmy Carter never sent as much as an aide to receive the petition.

Carter like Clueless Joe had a reputation as a champion of the working class .But he never so much as acknowledged receipt . Carter never went to Youngstown to meet them.

Briefly as the 1978 midterms approached Carter officials raised false hopes as a plan was concocted to use federal assistance to help the workers open the plant under worker ownership. When the elections were over federal guarantees were dropped. The deal collapsed.

Carter showed up in 1980 for a mandatory campaign stop . But the people knew better .Reagan won by connecting with traditional Dem voters who the party had forgotten .
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2023, 04:44 AM
    Perhaps Clueless changed his mind about visiting the city after Dem Guv Mike DeWine called for the President to visit .
    Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine calls for Biden to visit train site (nypost.com)
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2023, 05:46 AM
    The EPA ;knowing that if they looked they would find it ;has refused to date to test for dioxins in the soil in East Palestine.

Once released, dioxins can stick around in soil for decades. They can contaminate plants, including crops. They accumulate up the food chain in oils and other fats.
    In East Palestine, it’s possible that soot particles from the plume carried dioxins onto nearby farms, where they could stick to the soil, McBride said.
    “If you have grazing animals out there in the field, they will pick up some of the dioxins from soil particles,” he said. “And so some of that gets into their bodies, and then that accumulates in fat tissue.”
    Eventually, those dioxins could make their way up the food chain to human consumers. Bioaccumulation means that more dioxin can get into humans than what’s found in the environment after the crash.
    Did dioxins spread after the Ohio train derailment? | AP News

Knowing this the EPA waited until yesterday to order the testing .

Here is the lame excuse they gave even as workers doing clean up were reporting that they were getting sick.

Dioxins are ubiquitous in the environment. They were here before the accident, they will be here after, and we don’t have baseline information in this area to do a proper test. But, we are talking to our toxicologist and looking into it,

https://voz.us/workers-cleaning-up-t...-sick/?lang=en
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2023, 06:05 AM
    Spread the wealth. The EPA is removing some of the toxic waste in East Palestine to an incinerator in East Liverpool Ohio ,on the Ohio river .
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2024, 06:44 AM
    Selena Zito points to the day that Trump braved weather and toxic air to go to East Palestine as the day his 'track to victory began.

Despite the weather and concerns about what was in the air or what kind of chemical was lurking in the pools of mud they were walking in, folks by the hundreds lined up along Main Street as Trump’s motorcade filled with state and local law enforcement sirened its way into town.
    Men and women, young and old, children, teenagers, and a couple of dozen Amish families all waited in the icy rain along the designated route in anticipation of Trump showing up to their town, just under a month after a 38-car Norfolk Southern train dumped poisonous residue into the air. First, there had been the fiery derailment, whose immediate effects went on for two days, followed by a controlled burn that released hydrogen chloride and phosgene into the air and water.

Trump's track to victory began when train derailed - Washington Examiner

Trump showed up Clueless Joe still hasn't
    He did not declare a disaster designation .

What he did do ; months after the derailment ,was to make an EO for FEMA to “oversee long-term recovery efforts in the affected communities and conduct a comprehensive assessment of unmet needs of the affected communities in recovering from the derailment beyond the cleanup work directed by EPA.”
    Executive Order on Ensuring the People of East Palestine Are Protected Now and in the Future | The White HouseZito says that his polling was low due to the midterm election results . But his visit began his comeback .Then all the indictments ;most of them political persecution solidified his hold .
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2024, 06:38 AM
    Zito's latest on the 1 year anniversary of the tragedy .
    President Biden plans to make his first visit here Friday, but Sen. J.D. Vance came on Feb. 3. That was exactly a year after a train derailed and spilled vinyl chloride, causing a massive fire and a billowing cloud of toxic smoke that rolled over this city of some 4,700. Days after the derailment, residents were evacuated again as emergency crews conducted a “controlled burn” to prevent an even larger explosion.
    Mr. Vance came to the Senate in January 2023 as a MAGA bomb-thrower, and he often lives up to that reputation. On Feb. 4 he told ABC News that if he had been vice president in 2021, “I would have told the states . . . that we needed to have multiple slates of electors, and I think the U.S. Congress should have fought over it from there.” On Feb. 6 he rejected the Senate immigration compromise and called the expectation that Republicans should support it “pure, unadulterated bulls—.”
    But a more conciliatory side of Mr. Vance is on display in East Palestine. In a meeting at a local church, he sits with constituents for more than an hour, takes questions, listens, presses for details, and talks about how sick he felt after his first visits here. He takes no swipes at Mr. Biden as he encourages residents to press the White House for a comprehensive “baseline” testing program that would aim at early detection of health problems caused by the disaster. But he does criticize the president in an interview after the meeting with constituents.
    He tells me he doesn’t want people who live here to have to fight the government for years to prove their injuries. He cites the litigation over the Camp Lejeune Marine base, where the Department of Health and Human Services found in 2007 that the water was contaminated with toxic chemicals from 1953 through 1987. The Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022 established a process for adjudicating claims, and the first ones were settled in November 2023.
    Mr. Vance wants the government to be proactive about the health risks. He envisions a program in which epidemiologists, toxicologists, cancer researchers and other experts would regularly test residents for abnormal health conditions. “If you talk to people—this is people who want to move on from this disaster . . . they want to know with confidence that 10 years down the road, if something happens to their kids, God forbid, or themselves, they can trace it to this accident or not.” He has asked the administration to allocate $5 million to develop such a program, which hasn’t been tried before.
    Mr. Vance says his pitches have left the administration “completely unmoved”: “I cannot get the White House to give a crap about these people,” he says. “They gave my deputy chief of staff a lecture about what the National Institutes of Health does” when he asked for an NIH grant.
    Mr. Vance adds, with his characteristic populist bluntness: “I’m going to hope that they get off their asses to do something.”
    Ms. Zito is a reporter for the Washington Examiner and a co-author of “The Great Revolt: Inside the Populist Coalition Reshaping American Politics.”
    Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

A Year Later, East Palestine, Ohio, Still Suffers - WSJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does an East Asian woman have a better chance than other women in the Middle East? [ 5 Answers ]

Since East Asians seem to get along really well and/or have no beef with Middle Easterners, do you think they stand a better chance than South Asians, Southeast Asians and the African population?

View more questions Search