Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2023, 02:57 PM
    On Fundamentalism and The Closed Religious Mind
    For Christian fundamentalists, being taught to suppress critical thinking begins at a very early age. It is the combination of the brain’s vulnerability to believing unsupported facts and aggressive indoctrination that create the perfect storm for gullibility. Due to the brain’s plasticity, or ability to be sculpted by lived experiences, evangelicals literally often become hardwired to believe far-fetched statements.

This wiring begins when they are first taught to accept Biblical stories not as metaphors for living life practically and purposefully, but as objective truth. Mystical explanations for natural events train young minds to not demand evidence for beliefs. As a result, the neural pathways that promote healthy skepticism and rational thought are not properly developed. This inevitably leads to a greater susceptibility to lying and gaslighting by manipulative politicians, and greater suggestibility in general.

To combat the brain’s habit of taking the path of least resistance, which has destructive consequences for critical thinking, more emphasis and value must be placed on empirical evidence. For the human mind, believing is more of a reflex than a careful and methodical action.

Interesting that this also applies to the political mindset, especially to the right-wing of the spectrum. It is not surprising that the largest demographic of the right-wing is composed primarily of fundamentalist/evangelical Christians.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2023, 08:34 PM
    Just an assortment of ideas and accusations with no support whatsoever. He might want to take his own advice. "...more emphasis and value must be placed on empirical evidence."
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 07:45 AM
    Are these people those gullible, careless evangelicals at work?

The North Carolina-based Samaritan's Purse deployed a 52-bed emergency field hospital near Antakya in southern Turkey to help fill the void after a major hospital in the region was damaged by the Feb. 6 earthquake. Over 40,000 people were killed, and tens of thousands need medical care.
    Samaritan's Purse opens field hospital in Turkey after earthquake | Church & Ministries News (christianpost.com)

Does this sound like what close-minded fundies would do next, to try to help Puerto Rico? (Oops. That's already been done.)

The Samaritan’s Purse DC-8 flew to Puerto Rico from Greensboro, North Carolina, on Monday delivering more than 26 tons of emergency supplies to the island devastated by Hurricane Fiona.
    DC-8 Brings More Relief to Puerto Rico (samaritanspurse.org)

I provide links because, as you said (and I agree), we must be careful lest we, "train young minds to not demand evidence for beliefs."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Are these people those sadistic, hateful evangelicals at work?
    Being unable to think critically and accept metaphors as objective truth doesn't mean those people are sadistic and hateful.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 03:43 PM
    Being unable to think critically and accept metaphors as objective truth doesn't mean those people are sadistic and hateful.
    I was going off of former comments. But even at that, the underlined part of your comment cannot be verified. Remember that, "more emphasis and value must be placed on empirical evidence."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 03:53 PM
    There's still no correlation with "sadistic and hateful" behavior.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 04:02 PM
    As I said, there were correlations with former posts, but I edited my post to make it more palatable for you. Now perhaps you would address this?

But even at that, the underlined part of your comment cannot be verified. Remember that, "more emphasis and value must be placed on empirical evidence."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 04:32 PM
    As I said, there were correlations with former posts, but I edited my post to make it more palatable for you. Now perhaps you would address this?
    As Athos said in the first post:

"To combat the brain’s habit of taking the path of least resistance, which has destructive consequences for critical thinking, more emphasis and value must be placed on empirical evidence. For the human mind, believing is more of a reflex than a careful and methodical action."
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 04:36 PM
    "As Athos said," is far removed from serious documentation. But even then, just posting a general statement of that sort certainly does not demonstrate that evangelicals do not think critically or are peculiarly prone to accept metaphors as objective truth. Perhaps that was not your intention to begin with?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 04:45 PM
    Fundamentalist/evangelical taking the path of least resistance: "You ask, how did Noah feed all those animals on the ark for over a month? My answer: Doesn't matter. God took care of it."

Nothing sadistic and hateful, just no critical thinking.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 05:18 PM
    Fundamentalist/evangelical taking the path of least resistance: "You ask, how did Noah feed all those animals on the ark for over a month? My answer: Doesn't matter. God took care of it."
    How was Jesus raised from the dead? Can you explain that naturally?

Liberal believer taking the path of least resistance: What do you think of Jesus' statement about judgment in Mt. 25? Answer: I don't think he said those words. Reply: Why do you say that? Answer: Well...because.

Of course both of our anecdotal instances are basically useless so far as documentation is concerned. It's just inventive fiction.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 05:54 PM
    You've never discussed Bible stories with another Christian? You've definitely missed out on strengthening your faith!
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 06:56 PM
    What on earth are you talking about?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2023, 07:21 PM
    How was Jesus raised from the dead? Can you explain that naturally?
    Have you discussed that with other Christians, as in a Bible class?
    Liberal believer taking the path of least resistance: What do you think of Jesus' statement about judgment in Mt. 25? Answer: I don't think he said those words. Reply: Why do you say that? Answer: Well...because.
    Discuss it!
    Of course both of our anecdotal instances are basically useless so far as documentation is concerned. It's just inventive fiction.
    I don't understand. We aren't allowed to discuss the people in, the reasoning for, the finer details of, and the meaning of Bible stories?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2023, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You've never discussed Bible stories with another Christian? You've definitely missed out on strengthening your faith!
    That's an excellent point which will go right over the head of a fundie.

Also excellent was your catch of the disinformation by Jl when he wrote "sadistic and hateful". He quickly changed that line after you caught him.

For the rest, he is unable to reply directly to your comments without doing a dance of "whataboutism". I'm enjoying the show.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 08:15 PM
    I don't understand. We aren't allowed to discuss the people in, the reasoning for, the finer details of, and the meaning of Bible stories?
    The topic was the need for documentation and the fact that anecdotal stories, such as the one you used, did not even begin to reach that level. Please pay attention.

As to the "sadistic and hateful" descriptors, would that happen to agree with the past sentiment shown below? I changed it only to keep WG from making a big issue about it and thus distract from the main subject, but there certainly is a specific "correlation".

Many prominent evangelicals have called for the execution of women who have abortions and the doctors who perform them. Others have called for adulteresses to be executed (but not adulterers, funny how that works). We've seen what happens when the church gets political power. It was called the Inquisition, among other atrocities.
    A little honesty would have compelled a person to admit that there is a LOT of material out there to back up my statement.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2023, 09:43 PM
    Why did you avoid this question? "How was Jesus raised from the dead? Can you explain that naturally?"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2023, 10:08 AM
    Why did you avoid this question? "How was Jesus raised from the dead? Can you explain that naturally?"
    It certainly would be an interesting and challenging question to discuss!
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2023, 10:20 AM
    It certainly would be an interesting and challenging question to discuss!
    More like an interesting and challenging question to avoid for you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2023, 10:43 AM
    More like an interesting and challenging question to avoid for you.
    Wow! I could keep you up all night discussing this one!!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Nature of Religious Fundamentalism [ 11 Answers ]

Fundamentalism apparently is a part of all religious traditions. In what ways (if any) are these fundamentalist traditions similar? In Christianity, for example, there is a tendency to view its sacred writings as literal. Is that true of other religions?

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Fundamentalism [ 3 Answers ]

What are the differnces and similarities between fundamentalism in in Abrahamic religions?

Fundamentalism and religion [ 6 Answers ]

To be fundamentalist about religion is considered fanaticism, which leads to extreme stands and actions to protect one's beliefs and to uphold them above all else. This sounds like something to be avoided at all costs... is there any other way to read this?

View more questions Search