Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 11:18 AM
    How do you know that? Were you there? How do you explain the fact that the police had to block his car before he would stop? Why were there so many police there? How on earth does that not qualify as a "situation" that needed to be assessed?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2023, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    "Get out of the car!"
    "What have I done???"
    Cops open the driver's door and pull him to the pavement, begin beating him.
    He thrashes, trying to avoid their blows. He eventually is able to get to his feet and heads toward his mother's house nearby.
    Your description of the actual happening is perfectly accurate. No matter how often you tell it, if someone doesn't want to believe it, they won't believe it.

You can't fix stupid.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 01:51 PM
    You can't fix stupid.
    Mr. Fake Morality strikes again. You know, the guy that says, "You were warned about replying directly without the snarky comments," and then proceeds to show that his supposed aversion to snarky comments is intended for others, but is a standard he has no ability to meet? Well, it will be another opportunity for WG to ignore the crass behavior of a fellow liberal dem. Perhaps CB can do another whitewash of this quote from Athos while leaving the original post unchanged.

At any rate, I can do no better than suggest a person actually watch the video which differs significantly from WG's biased description.

First section of Memphis bodycam release shows Tyre Nichols pulled out of car, tasered - YouTube
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2023, 02:15 PM
    Just like I described earlier in this thread. The video's caption says: "First section of Memphis bodycam release shows Tyre Nichols pulled out of car, tasered"

Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 02:20 PM
    Come on, WG. You know better than that. Athos specified what he was referring to which was not accurate. Even worse, the video's caption does not agree with your description. It says nothing about a "beating" and "blows". A little honesty would be nice.

"Get out of the car!"
    "What have I done???"
    Cops open the driver's door and pull him to the pavement, begin beating him.
    He thrashes, trying to avoid their blows. He eventually is able to get to his feet and heads toward his mother's house nearby.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2023, 02:23 PM
    The video shows, during and after pulling Nichols out of his car, the tasing and then, mixed in, the beatings.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2023, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Come on, WG. You know better than that. Athos specified what he was referring to which was not accurate. Even worse, the video's caption does not agree with your description. It says nothing about a "beating" and "blows". A little honesty would be nice.
    Jilsenbe, are you really trying to justify the polices' action in this case ?
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 02:34 PM
    I've only stated several times that I am not at all defending the actions of the police. How many times does it need to be said?

The video shows, during and after pulling Nichols out of his car, the tasing and then, mixed in, the beatings.
    I watched the video pretty carefully. I don't see any hitting until after the man runs and is chased down. The issue at first is his refusal to allow them to cuff him.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2023, 02:44 PM
    The issue at first is his refusal to allow them to cuff him.
    Because they wouldn't tell him why.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 02:49 PM
    Maybe so, but you cooperate with the cops. Afterwards you can file your lawsuit. I still wonder why so many cop cars had converged on that scene, including being blocked in front and back. Makes it look like something above the ordinary was going on.
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2023, 02:54 PM
    Maybe so, but you cooperate with the cops.
    Even if their actions are unlawful and corrupt ?!

Seem to remember some other countries that expected unwavering obedience to authority.....
    Didn't end well for them either.
    So much for The Constitution and the freedoms that it secures.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 03:39 PM
    Even if their actions are unlawful and corrupt ?!
    1. You predictably did not bother to post my entire comment, perhaps because it did not suit your political agenda. You cooperate, and then if needed, "Afterwards you can file your lawsuit." If Nichols had done so, we would never have heard of him. His case would have been handled like thousands of others in the courts.

2. If the police are corrupt, then it is handled legally through court cases and elections. If you understood, "The Constitution and the freedom it secures," then you would know that.
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2023, 03:44 PM
    1. You predictably did not bother to post my entire comment
    Rather annoying when parts of comments are highlighted and commented on.
    What was that saying about pots and kettles....
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2023, 03:51 PM
    Show me where I have misrepresented a person's views in the manner you attempted to do and I'll agree with you. I don't think you can. And perhaps that was not your intent, but the answer to your question was already contained in the post you were quoting from. I had said, "you cooperate with the cops. Afterwards you can file your lawsuit." You seized upon, "you cooperate with the cops," and asked, "Even if their actions are unlawful and corrupt ?!" But it seems to me that the answer to your question was right in front of you. "Afterwards you can file your lawsuit." So I don't see the purpose of the question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 4, 2023, 02:55 PM
    In my news feed this afternoon --

"For 14 months, officers from the high-profile Scorpion unit of the Memphis Police Department in Tennessee patrolled city streets with an air of menace, zooming up on targets, jumping out of their Dodge Chargers at a dead run, shouting at people to get out of their vehicles, lie down on the ground.

They did it to Damecio Wilbourn, 28, and his brother as they pulled up to an apartment building last February. They surrounded Davitus Collier, 32, as he went to buy beer for his father in May. And last month, they beat Monterrious Harris, 22, outside an apartment complex, where he said he was waiting to spend time with his cousin.

These and other Scorpion encounters typically began over something minor — a tinted-window violation, a seat-belt infraction, a broken taillight or a cracked windshield — and often resulted in officers finding illegal drugs, unregistered weapons, stolen cars and outstanding warrants. Their tactics could be aggressive, according to interviews and records, with arrestees being subdued by baton, pepper spray, Taser and the brute force of the officers’ fists.

Wilbourn said the Scorpion officers threw him against the car. They chased and eventually pepper sprayed a frightened Collier in the face. And when officers, in balaclavas and hoodies, pulled Harris out of his car, he said, they beat him so severely that he was left with cuts and a black eye."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/muscle-ca...175810374.html

And toward the end of the article --

Mike Scholl, a defense lawyer who has had several clients arrested by the unit, said the problem was the officers’ often heavy-handed tactics — some of his clients said they were beaten — and the perception that the Scorpions often seemed to be looking for trouble.

“If they pull you over and nothing is happening, they’ll create something,” Scholl said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you ban kitchen knives only criminals will have kitchen knives [ 31 Answers ]

BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors' kitchen knives ban call I thought I was reading an Onion article. Maybe they will permit all the sheeple to own sporks .

A bit long, so be ready to read... [ 2 Answers ]

Just to say, I'm about 17 and in high school, obviously. There's a guy in my class in whom I'm VERY interested. He intrigues me and I can't figure out what makes him tick. I don't usually have trouble pleasing someone because after a few meetings, I instinctively know how to be a person they'd...

Is spyderfly butterfly knives really good knives I'm looking to buy one myself [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking to buy a new butterfly knife and found a nice spyderfly knife and wanted to know if anyone has any tips. It looks like a good knife an I fond it for pretty cheap

How long can you keep turkey in the refrigerator before you need to throw it away [ 1 Answers ]

How many days can I keep my leftover turkey in the refrig, before I throw it away

Confused and ready to throw the towel [ 1 Answers ]

I agreed to let my wife have a sex toy party at our house. Yesterday she asked me could she have a stripper at the party What should I tell her

View more questions Search