Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 10:05 AM
    Progressive Dems want to take away your stove.
    This is happening in Washington .This is happening in Albany. This is coming to your home .

Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)member Richard Trumka wants gas stoves banned . He called the gas stove a 'hidden hazard' .and that "any option is on the table" to regulate them.

In October he proposed this at a meeting of the CPSC He told reporters that given enough public pressure,there “could get a regulation on the books before this time next year.

Consumer safety board to weigh regulations on gas stoves | The Hill

News of this filtered down this week and it created a bit of a backlash . Clueless mouthpiece KJP deflected the issue back to the CPSC and said he does not support a ban . Trumka also backed down .

The concern is not accidental burns . There is allegedly a danger of indoor pollution.That runs against the EPA's recommendations.
    What about gas or propane stoves? Are they EPA-certified?
    Gas stoves (and gas fireplace inserts) do not require EPA certification. Whether designed to burn natural gas or propane, they burn very cleanly, emitting very little pollution.
    Burn Wise - Frequently Asked Questions | Burn Wise | US EPA

Any concern could be dealt with by installing exhaust fans .

WH denials and Trumka back tracking doesn't change the fact that banning is on their mind.

All you need to do is look at NY to see that the move to ban gas appliances is on the way.

N.Y. Gov. Hochul proposes ban on new gas hookups, to fight climate change (yahoo.com)

Kathy Hochul’s Latest Brainstorm - WSJ

Come 2030, New Yorkers won’t be allowed to replace their gas stoves with new ones if they break down. “As you begin making a transition, everyone will have to switch out appliances,” a state official explained.

Come 2035, New Yorkers and Californians won’t be able to buy new gasoline-powered cars either.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 11:16 AM
    You don't like government banning anything. Should we reverse the government ban on child labor?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2023, 12:48 PM
    Come 2030, New Yorkers won’t be allowed to replace their gas stoves with new ones if they break down. “As you begin making a transition, everyone will have to switch out appliances,” a state official explained.
    Aside from the utter stupidity of the decision, it will, as often happens with new government regs, hurt the poor the most. To replace a gas stove will require running 240 volt wiring to the wall behind the stove. Depending on the situation, that could easily run several hundred dollars if not more.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 01:35 PM
    You don't like government banning anything. Should we reverse the government ban on child labor?
    Do you have a serious question ?
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 01:55 PM
    Aside from the utter stupidity of the decision, it will, as often happens with new government regs, hurt the poor the most. To replace a gas stove will require running 240 volt wiring to the wall behind the stove. Depending on the situation, that could easily run several hundred dollars if not more.
    good thing I don't live in NY anymore . My home was 1930s Sears mail order delivered home that had oil burner steam heat . I spent a fortune converting it to natural gas that included putting in a new efficient boiler ;replacing most of the cast iron pipes throughout the home with copper pipes ;and replacing all the old radiators (not including replacing sections of the hard wood floor that had rotted under the radiators . And yes also upgraded the electric panel .

Hochul's plan calls for NO new gas heating systems in new construction and the conversion of old homes and the eventual conversion of all homes and buildings in the state .

Clueless is all on board with supporting local initiatives to ban gas . His administration filed an amicus brief of a 9th Circus Court case supporting a Berkley Ca. ban

They want us all to cook on electric induction ranges . They may very well prove the superior technology . But whatever health harm that gas ranges do can be addressed with a warning about the dangers . Then they should treat us like adults who are free people capable of making decisions by ourselves .

Hochul backs eventual ban on gas furnaces and stoves in new buildings - POLITICO
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2023, 01:58 PM
    As I understand it, the issue is not so much the supposed danger of indoor pollution as it is CO2 contributing to the supposed climate change. But natural gas/propane are among the cleanest burning of all fossil fuels and should be favored as opposed to banned. It makes no sense.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Do you have a serious question ?
    Let me put it this way: you consistently criticize any government actions because they are government actions.That is the right-wing position on government. Whether the action is good doesn't matter. You want the "market" to correct bad situations.

That is naive in the extreme, not to mention that it supports unbridled Capitalism which only reacts far later, if ever, than government would.

Child labor was an example to get your attention. So, yes, it was a serious question.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 02:33 PM
    As I understand it, the issue is not so much the supposed danger of indoor pollution as it is CO2 contributing to the supposed climate change
    Yes that is the REAL reason . But the CPSC 's Richard Trumka used indoor pollution as his justification .
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 03:04 PM
    asking me if I support child labor is an absurd question not worthy of a reply.

I criticize needless and unconstitutional government action.

I would not know about "unbridled "capitalism as it has never been practiced Government regulation has always been a part of doing business .

Capitalists thrive because they identify and cater to other people's needs and desires along with their own self interest . Customer interest must be prioritized for a company to succeed in the long run .Companies that fail to understand and respect what consumers want will lose market share and eventually disappear
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 04:24 PM
    asking me if I support child labor is an absurd question not worthy of a reply.
    Yet, you replied.

I criticize needless and unconstitutional government action.
    Nobody wants needless and unconstitutional government.

I would not know about "unbridled "capitalism as it has never been practiced Government regulation has always been a part of doing business
    Unbridled capitalism is practiced whenever it is not properly regulated. As an historian, I'm sure you're familiar with the oil industry, the tobacco industry, the automotive industry, and so many of those late night TV ads promising shoddy products because it can get away with it for a year or so until the regulators catch up and then it changes names and goes off again.

How about Bernie Madoff and the financial schemes that pop up regularly? All these are unbridled capitalism. There are plenty more where these came from.

Capitalists thrive because they identify and cater to other people's needs and desires along with their own self interest . Customer interest must be prioritized for a company to succeed in the long run .Companies that fail to understand and respect what consumers want will lose market share and eventually disappear
    No argument there.
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2023, 05:34 PM
    I would not know about "unbridled "capitalism as it has never been practiced Government regulation has always been a part of doing business .
    l think the term for which you are advocating is "free enterprise". It's the golden key of prosperity. Some government regulation is necessary, but what is being done in NY and Cali is just the pursuit of wrong-headed ideology.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2023, 05:35 AM
    The false and ridiculous charge is the absolutist contention that

You don't like government banning anything.

I am not a nihilist and there is a big line between that and believing in the limited government the framers envisioned.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2023, 12:47 PM
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2023, 05:34 PM
    I am not a nihilist and there is a big line between that and believing in the limited government the framers envisioned.
    The framers in 1789 are a far cry from today's ideas in 2023. A lot changes in 234 years.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2023, 05:53 PM
    so you do want to abolish our form of government then
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2023, 06:01 PM
    The 2nd amendment refers to muskets.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2023, 06:02 PM
    the rights in the bill of rights are ageless
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2023, 06:04 PM
    We have an ageless right to keep and bear muskets.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2023, 06:18 PM
    so you do want to abolish our form of government then
    No, the only Americans I know that want to abolish our form of government are Donald Trump and his followers.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2023, 07:41 PM
    The 2nd amendment refers to muskets.
    No, it doesn't. But even at that, you have to remember that muskets were the pinnacle of firearms technology in the eighteenth century, so you really should say that the second amendment refers to the peak of firearms technology, whatever that is for this day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Progressive low hot water [ 5 Answers ]

I have plastic plumbing throughout my house... in the bathroom right above the hot water tank the hot water pressure is fine... in the bathroom halfway across the house it drops a bit... maybe 25%... in the kitchen all the way across the house from the water heater it drops drastically... probably...

England Stove Works pellet stove blower speed [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I have an England Stove Works 25-PDVC/55-SHP10 pellet stove. We've had it for almost four years with no problems. I clean it out and grease the augers every fall before running it for the winter season. It has recently started having a problem with the blower speed. We start it...

My stove gas stove,electric piolit trips the breaker .repairman said it was 'energizi [ 1 Answers ]

GAS STOVE WITH ELECTRIC PILOT TRIPS BREAKER .THE REPAIRMAN SAID IT WAS 'ENERGIZED'? Landlord is replacing stove with gas pilot .will it still be energized/IS THAT DANGEROUS?

DVD Progressive Scan [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I have a DVD player that says it is progressive scan. My older CRT TV however, is an interlaced scan device. It works just fine good picture, etc. using the DVD player. My question is how is it possible to view progressive scan video on an interlaced TV? Thanks,

Never, Ever Use Progressive! [ 10 Answers ]

NEVER, EVER USE PROGRESSIVE! I believe, Progressive inc. does a bait and switch to their loyal customers when they change addresses! YOU BE THE JUDGE! Timeline: Jan 10, 2006- I move from the Santa Monica area to Pasadena Jan 13th- My old Progressive policy EXPIRES for $620 every 6 months...

View more questions Search