Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feelinglost Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Need advise
    I was arrested and the claimed I was a girl who was wanted by another state for evading the law even though there were like 5 red flags to say I was not that girl they looked me up for two days and harassed me f several times and threatened me to try and get me to say I was her then finely them desided well you may not be her so we will let you out but still charged me with her charges and added givig false statement cause I said I was not her. I have been told I should sue but need advice please.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
    If you were falsley accused, arrested, (I assume by police, you didn't say, or was it a bail bondsman harassing you ?), and then charged with criminal offences, you need an attorney.

Apr 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
    It was by the sheriff department

Apr 21, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Alabamia was where they claimed wanted me and they are who helped my mom prove it wasn't me but the night that let me out the detective looked at me and said I still think it is you but for tonight you can go.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
    If they charged you, depending on the seriousness of the charges, I would defend myself by hiring an atty. I don't have much money, etc, I really only have my reputation.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
    What why would you do that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Many people are charged every day for crimes they did not do, that is why there is a court date date and is why each side has a attorney.

So if you are not guilty, get an attorney

Apr 22, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Yes I will be found not guilty but it stays on my background check the rest of my life as being arrested for fugitive from justic felony and giving false statement felony and they held me in jail 2 days.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 05:43 AM
    What false statements did you make to law enforcement? If you are not the person they were looking for, were do the statements come into play?

As everyone has said, you need an attorney. If you cannot afford one, ask the court for a court appointed one. Call the ACLU. Legal Assistance.
    Confuzzledmonkey Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Ok I know nothing about legality and things like that but it is a major flaw if you are found not guilty but given her charges.What was the false stament?

Apr 22, 2007, 06:03 AM
    The detective told my mom he was adding that charge to prove a point because I would not say I was her and that he still thinks it was me even after alabamia sent her mug shot

So the flase statement was me saying I was not her
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 06:07 AM
    That is just ludicrous - for that detective to say that and make that charge against you. You really do need an attorney and fight this.

Apr 22, 2007, 06:09 AM
    They are going to drop the charges Tuesday but it will stay on my record and me and my mom where told by so many people to sue the county and this has been the scaryest thing I have ever gone through.
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 06:12 AM
    That is why you need a good attorney - one that can get this cleared up and your name expunged from any records.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 06:38 AM
    I am not an attorney and don't pretend to even know a whole lot about the law. But if the charges are dropped, I don't see how they will remain on your record.

Get an attorney!! Or at least a free consultation.

Apr 22, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Anything you are ever arrested for and booked for in Georgia is always on your record as bing charged with it even when not guilty.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 09:11 AM
    feelinglost, I know you are scared. But, continuing to discuss your situation here will not help you. As others have advised, you need to get yourself an attorney. Please start here: American Civil Liberties Union

What the police did to you is typical of the methods they use to get guilty people to confess. They thought you were this girl. If you had been, you probably would have confessed. They know by now, that you aren't this girl. They will not admit to any wrongdoing because it will leave them completely open and vulnerable to losing a lawsuit.

If you have told us the entire truth here, you have the basis for a lawsuit against the officers. Whether you can win it, is up to your lawyer. In any event, the least that will happen is that this should be completely deleted from your record. Your lawyer will see to that.

Good luck.
    Confuzzledmonkey Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
    If the charges are dropped than why does your false statement count? Doesn't it mean that if they drop the chargesthat they believe you innocent?

Apr 22, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Thank all of you I will leave this here maybe a lawyer will come along and see it.
    I don't know anything you are ever arrested for is always on your record weather guilty or not.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 05:55 AM
    feelinglost, please don't wait for a lawyer to "trip" over this post. You need to be proactive. You are the only one who will actively be able to help yourself. Please look at the link I gave to you and give them a call. They are lawyers. If you don't have any money, they will still work with you. It is an organization that helps people who's civil liberties have been violated and who cannot afford to hire lawyers. That describes you. If they cannot help you themselves, they will give you direction on what you should do and who you should contact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need advise, please help [ 223 Answers ]

:( Hi, Can you help with some advice. I began seeing a girl (18) who is bisexual and who I really liked. When I started seeing her she told me she was going to university in a month. Because of this I thought it would be nothing serious. We had a month of great times and became really...

Need some advise [ 6 Answers ]

I have been very serious with my boyfriend for close to two years now. We have lived with one another for a year and half. The past 3 months he has seemed less interested romanticaly and phsyically with me. He has been working long hours and is under stress. I understand that can lower sex...

Could use some advise [ 16 Answers ]

Ok I need advise on 2 different relationship propublems. 1> My x is asking me to sign a paper for him . I told him I would have to speak to my lawyer before signing any papers for him . He got mad and left me a text message saying He was crushing the car (the paper he wanted me to sign was...

Serious Advise Please! [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I know this is sure to get some negative comments, need only serious advise please! I've been married AND FAITHFULL for the last five years. Prior to our marriage, we were together for 10 years. Lately, for a long time actually, I feel like my husband doesn't "give" to the relationship...

Advise [ 17 Answers ]

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Well my situations goes like this, my ex girlfriend broke off the relationship of two years. Its been three months since the breakup. Well the first month I kind of had some sort of contact with her through calls, e-mails. Then I decieded to go the NC way because it...

View more questions Search