Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Anyone have any experience installing Ubuntu on a Windows machine?
    Before I take the plunge I have a few questions. I've done some prep work already: files backed up, burned iso to CD, defragged my C:.

- if I install to C: will the boot manager automatically install and offer my dual boot options?
    - I imagine a new partition will be created, I guess that'll move down the letter assignments of my other drives?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 21, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Yes grub [the boot manager] will let you pick what OS to use.my dvd drive letters stayed the same though. -- Savage
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Thanks Savage. I've been reading some posts on other sites. I understand that I have the choice of letting the installation make a partition using all available space on C: or I can resize the partition manually. The screens that come after the manual partition left me a little bewildered. I would like to leave some free space on C: for Windows (I do have another physical D:).

Apr 21, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I currently have linux installed on 2nd drive -- c drive is for windows -- with a little gone for grub -- Savage
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Ok, here goes. If I'm not on tomorrow its 'cause I'm rebuilding the machine. :D
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Update: I'm posting this from Ubuntu - Yay me!
    Thanks Savage for your encouragement. I get the boot manager at startup. The partitioning part was scary but all is well. I have so much to learn.

Apr 21, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Just remember -- apt-get install lol Am using fedora right now but downloaded feisty fawn last night to try. -- Savage
    sonicblue13 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I was using suse so many years.. I installed ubuntu on my laptop last week.. except one small problem in boot loader that was easily fixed all is working perfectly... ubuntu is one of the best distros.. just add all the repos from system>administration menu and enjoy it.. welcome to linux
    prozak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Hi to all! I want to join Linux world and I'm actually downloading Ubuntu atm. Do you need 64bit cpu to run it? What are the hardware requirements? It looks really great can't wait to install it! Any sugestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem installing win XP home on new machine [ 2 Answers ]

I put this in the OS section, hoping I will get more responses here: I have just built a new machine MSI MOBO, AMD sempron 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, the MOBO has onboard GFX and it has a SATA HDD. The initial boot is fine, I get the blue screen when win xp starts to install. When I get to the...

Problem installing win XP home on new machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have just built a new machine MSI MOBO, AMD sempron 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM, the MOBO has onboard GFX and it has a SATA HDD. The initial boot is fine, I get the blue screen when win xp starts to install. When I get to the press f6 if you want to install 3rd party drivers (which I want to do)...

Installing Windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates? Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled? Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work? Thanks.

View more questions Search