Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2022, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    But you have no idea of what he knew, so you really can't say that. It was just anti-Trump rhetoric, pure and simple.
    He has shown us who he is and, by his words, what he knows.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 31, 2022, 01:51 PM
    I would agree with that. We had the best economy we had in many a year with record low unemployment. On top of that, he appointed 3 SCOTUS justices, and now they are set to reverse, hopefully, the most unjust, unconstitutional decision every rendered. So yeah, he has shown how smart he is. You are exactly right.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2022, 03:13 AM
    So the shooter walks unobstructed into an unlocked door of the school .

When asked about the possibiliy of hardening schools so they would not be such a soft target ,Clueless; press Sec Karine Jean-Pierre said ;

“I know there’s been conversation about hardening schools,” “That is not something that he believes in. He believes that we should be able to give teachers the resources to be able to do the job that they’re meant to do at schools.”

You see ;the single objective they take from this tragedy is the chance to keep guns from law abiding citizens . No other remedy is on the table.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 04:40 AM
    "That is not something that he believes in."

I'm still waiting to see any proposal for gun control that will stop these terrible shootings. Stopping the sales of "assault weapons" will not stop them. Stopping the sales of 9mm handguns will not stop them. The only hope I see is to make schools more secure and for all of us to do a better job of keeping our eyes and ears open. This latest shooter broadcast his intentions on social media but no one reported it. The police response was very poor. Considering that he had been shooting before he entered, the school response seems curiously inadequate. We are just going to have to accept that we are living in a world with a substantial number of mentally ill people who are not being treated and consider life to be cheap.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 06:16 AM
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    So the shooter walks unobstructed into an unlocked door of the school .
    ...that was propped open (to catch a breeze?).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 09:17 AM
    1. This latest shooter broadcast his intentions on social media but no one reported it.
    2. The police response was very poor.
    3. Considering that he had been shooting before he entered, the school response seems curiously inadequate.

And you're wondering what to do about mentally ill people? as you said, "We are just going to have to accept that we are living in a world with a substantial number of mentally ill people who are not being treated and consider life to be cheap."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 09:28 AM
    Nope, those weren't the secrets to no school shootings. We had two-parent families, parents who were concerned with morals and taught their kids right from wrong, no internet or even tv (OR shoot-'em-up video games), and a much smaller population.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 02:51 PM
    We had two-parent families, parents who were concerned with morals and taught their kids right from wrong, no internet or even tv (OR shoot-'em-up video games), and a much smaller population.
    With the exception of the last comment about population which carries little meaning, I agree with all of the above. Unlike you, I don't see it as an either/or. I think the two compliment each other. Also unlike you, I am all in favor of a great national campaign to honor and encourage the two-parent family.

And you're wondering what to do about mentally ill people? as you said, "We are just going to have to accept that we are living in a world with a substantial number of mentally ill people who are not being treated and consider life to be cheap."
    I'm open to suggestions. Just bear in mind that increased fed funding is not the answer. The feds can't pay for the budget now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 03:24 PM
    With the exception of the last comment about population which carries little meaning, I agree with all of the above.
    A smaller population is more controllable, more in sync with each other. The US population was more than half as much in 1950 as it is now.
    Unlike you, I don't see it as an either/or. I think the two compliment each other.
    What either/or? What two?
    Also unlike you, I am all in favor of a great national campaign to honor and encourage the two-parent family.
    Unlike me? (Why the preoccupation with bashing me in addition to posting a disagreement and your own pov?)

Another part of the problem is identifying especially teens and young adults (plus anyone older) who has an emotional or mental problem, then lead then to professional treatment.

Another part of the problem is that, once a patient has been on meds for awhile and feels better (no matter what is wrong physically or mentally), that patient may say, "Hey, I feel so much better! I don't need this med any longer" and doesn't take it as prescribed, or worse, stops taking it, not realizing that med has made the difference. Within a short time, the problems begin again and the patient is back to square one.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 05:53 PM
    What either/or? What two?
    Your observation about family and mine about prayer/Bible.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 06:07 PM
    Unlike me? (Why the preoccupation with bashing me in addition to posting a disagreement and your own pov?)
    I was not bashing you. I've asked you before if you were in agreement with a call for a return to two parent families. You've always passed on it. Perhaps you have now changed your mind.

As to mental illness, your observations are no doubt accurate, but they do not present a solution.

A smaller population is more controllable, more in sync with each other.
    More in sync? I don't think so. Were we more in sync in 1860?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 06:14 PM
    I was not bashing you. I've asked you before if you were in agreement with a call for a return to two parent families. You've always passed on it. Perhaps you have now changed your mind.
    I've always been in favor of two-parent families. One-parent CAN work out, but it will take a lot more work and community involvement.
    As to mental illness, your observations are no doubt accurate, but they do not present a solution.
    I didn't offer a solution, just another aspect that is rarely mentioned.
    More in sync? I don't think so. Were we more in sync in 1860?
    In the 1950s, yes, we were. I lived in a southern city, in the Applachian hills, and in a rural community in the northeast. Plus made lengthy visits to a western state and to the Midwest to see relatives. People were pretty much in sync and cooperative, no mass murders like now.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 06:20 PM
    I've always been in favor of two-parent families. One-parent CAN work out, but it will take a lot more work and community involvement.
    Then we agree.

In the 1950s, yes, we were.
    We were as out of sync in race relations as we ever were. We had a pres assassinated and a very unpopular war in the sixties. Just don't agree with you on that one. Besides, the pop was much smaller in 1860 and very much out of sync. Your theory doesn't hold true.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 06:29 PM
    We were as out of sync in race relations as we ever were. We had a pres assassinated and a very unpopular war in the sixties. Just don't agree with you on that one. Besides, the pop was much smaller in 1860 and very much out of sync. Your theory doesn't hold true.
    I'm talking about mass murders, not race relations. No president was assassinated during the 1950s. That unpopular war was in the sixties, as you said. Check the stats. No mass murders during the 1950s.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 06:31 PM
    You said smaller pops tend to be more in sync. I pointed out that is not true. 1860 demonstrates that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 06:49 PM
    The Native Americans would counter you by stating the year of being out of sync as 1620.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 07:16 PM
    You're the one who's been countered.

At least we do agree that we need to return to the two parent family. That's progress, I think.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2022, 07:18 PM
    You're the one who's been countered.
    You countered me and basically said I'm wrong.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2022, 07:24 PM
    Yep. That's about it. If smaller pops are more in sync, then we should have been wildly in sync in 1860. That was not the case.

Still, we have agreed on something. That's historical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elementary statistics [ 1 Answers ]

1. Construct a confidence interval to be used for testing the claim college students have a mean greater than 100 and you want the test conducted with a 0.01 significance level. What is the level for the confidence interval?

Elementary math [ 1 Answers ]

2+2=

Elementary homework [ 1 Answers ]

How may ways could you order exactly 40 light bulbs

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

View more questions Search