Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wetbasement Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Basement flooding
    Water seeps into my basement during and after heavy rains. And actually the water in the basement sort of seeps out of the basement after 12 to 24 hours of the end of the rain.

Is this due to a rising water table, or to water build up in the dirt filled area around the foundation walls?

Will a french drain type (inside the periphery of the basement floor) with a perforated and pitched pipe embedded in gravel be sufficient to drain the water into sump pump(s), and prevent basement flooding?

Thanks,

Ben
    lauren2685 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Ben,
    You've got the right idea. It's hard to say exactly what is causing your problem - the soil around your foundation could be broken down, your footing drain pipes could be clogged, you may have a high water table or a good amount of hydrostatic pressure build up (water sits around the foundation and pushes through the concrete). The best way to take care of the problem is from the inside with an interior perimeter drainage system. Take a look at what Basement Systems says about the types of pipes and methods to use when waterproofing: Drainage System - Basement Systems offers two drainage systems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Civic flooding problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Gents , I have been working on a honda civic with a 1.5 engine . I bought the car non running . Car turns over but no start .No codes being thrown by the ecu , good blue/white spark at the wires and good compression on all cylinders 120 psi + . I have fixed many of these cars with a no...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

We have a home which was built 6 years ago and we have a basement with a sump pump and backup sump pump. 9 months ago we had flooding due to the main sump going out. The backup could not keep up with the water flow. We had our original plumber come in (and builder) and he replaced the sump. ...

Minor basement flooding [ 2 Answers ]

Tonight we had a very bad rainstorm, and my basement window which is one of those below ground ones, allowed for some water to seep into my home. It basically hugged the walls and then puddled onto my carpeted basement room. I noticed it pretty quickly so was able to move furniture and electrical...

Help My Home is Flooding [ 5 Answers ]

Every time it rains a lot we have water that seaps in to our sunken den under our hearth and under our back door. At times this can be a lot of water. We have put french drains in but have NOT been able to stop this water. I don't even know who to speak with. Can anybody give me a idea of at...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into a 100 year old home in New England, I had an alarm installed with a "flood" option... The alarm went off one early morning and I went downstairs to check the problem and found the basement was covered in two inches of water thanks to Spring thaw and a good deal of rain. It all...

View more questions Search