Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    talhasaleem1990's Avatar
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Apr 24, 2022, 05:42 PM
    Tax forms for moving IRA with pre-tax and post-tax contribution
    I have an IRA account that has pre-tax as well as post-tax contributions. I was thinking of moving my pre-tax balance into my current 401k and the post-tax into the Roth IRA. Does the IRS allow such a thing?

    I only see an year-end Form 8606, which doesn't look at each transaction but just net annual movements so thought this would be possible.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 24, 2022, 05:47 PM
    I think it is possible, but I am curious how the IRA has BOTH pre-tax and post-tax contributions.

    You might be confusing pre-tax / post-tax with deductible and non-deductible contributions.

    In any event, you should get professional tax help to help you do it.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excess contribution 401k, 1099R 2007 coded for 2006 contribution [ 1 Answers ]

Excess contribution 401k, taxpayer received 1099R 2007 Year coded for 2006 contribution Does this go on 2007 or 2006 return?

Apartment Contribution Forms [ 1 Answers ]

I am in need of someone who can tell me if signing a contribution form to help someone get into an apartment the same thing as co-signing with them?

View more questions Search