Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2022, 01:59 PM
    "Revenge" Religion and Hell
    Hell is an example of “revenge religion” supported by those fundamentalist Christians who resent their lower socio-economic position in life.

Originally it was a means to frighten people into embracing a nascent Christianity as it sought power in ancient Rome and elsewhere.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2022, 06:21 PM
    How is this reconciled with references in the Bible, especially the NT, to hell?
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2022, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How is this reconciled with references in the Bible, especially the NT, to hell?
    There actually are no Biblical references to hell as the word is understood today. The four words in the Bible that are translated as hell are Tartarus, Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna.

Tartarus was both a Greek deity and a place where the gods were punished.
    Sheol from Hebrew meaning abode of the dead.
    Hades – Greek translation of Sheol, and a Greek word for a mythological god.
    Gehenna was a city dump outside Jerusalem.

None of these words referred to a place of eternal torment for sinners or unbelievers after death. By the 5th century, hell as eternal torture was defined by Augustine. It was a belief considered so immoral, it led to the gentler idea of purgatory taken from Persian and Egyptian mythology where the sinners would be purged from their sins before eventually entering heaven.

Earlier, church fathers were a mixed bag about hell. Athenagoras taught an eternal torture chamber for sinners. Origen taught the opposite – that sinners would eventually be restored to God including Satan. Iraneus taught the sinners would be destroyed, no eternal punishment.

Tertullian believed in a fiery torment for eternity for those who persecuted Christians. This is a good example of “revenge religion” - a psychological solution to the problem of Christian persecution that evolved into an article of faith.

Eastern Christianity has no notion of an eternal punishment in hell. Rather, it sees hell as separation from God – a purely spiritual state.

Convert Gary Amirault writes:

“A loving Father knows how to bring correction to His children without consigning them to an endless torture chamber. Tyrants and a few demented earthly parents may do such things to their children. But for Christians to ascribe such activity to the Creator of all mankind is simply terribly misguided thinking.”
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2022, 02:13 PM
    Hell explained….. Pay attention this is a teachable moment.

The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry midterm, and an actual answer turned in by a student:

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
    2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct........leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2022, 04:23 PM
    Very funny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

"Evolution" or "Origin of the Universe" and religion [ 205 Answers ]

N0help4u asked me elsewhere to explain as to how I believe this earth came into being. Well : as belief has religious connotations, I do not BELIEVE that the earth came into being by any deity doing a once-only job in only 6 days. Mainly because I do not see any need for deities to exist, nor...

"the innocent's revenge" MY NEW POEM! [ 5 Answers ]

Around me, so innocent. But the unexpected, Can loom on anyone, It just happened to be mine, My misfourtune, That almost killed us all. I could do nothing, But they wanted me, And they fought for me,

What's the "dirtiest" thing you've done out of revenge? [ 8 Answers ]

I bring this up as I'm currently going through a breakup... well, not really. It's been about 2 months now... but still. Last night, one of my ex's friends came onto me and I had the opportunity to go for it... but I just didn't... mainly because I just felt dirty in doing so. SO... what'd...

View more questions Search