Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2021, 03:13 AM
    Does PETA know the urban dictionary definition ?
    PETA ;vying for the most ridiculous cancelling of the year is taking on the game of baseball . In baseball parlance the term "bullpen" is a place on the side of the ball field where pitchers warm up before entering a game . In court rooms rooms where prisoners are held prior to their court hearing is sometimes referred to as a bullpen too.It is also used in businesses sometimes to describe a place office space for a number of employees . But we are talking about baseball.
    PETA objects to the phrase because it signifies in their warped mind "the holding area where terrified bulls are kept before slaughter". That may be true .However in farming the bullpen is just an enclosed area to hold bulls .

PETA thinks that the use of the term is inappropriate for baseball because according to Tracy Reiman, the organization's executive vice president, "Words matter, and baseball 'bullpens' devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals."

If she saw the salaries of modern Major League baseball relief pitchers she may want to reconsider her belief that they are devalued .
    There are a few theories about how baseball came to use the phrase .... fans used to get standing room discounted tickets in a roped off area ....there used to be ads in the corner of a stadium for Bull Durham tobacco ,there was an actual pen with bulls near where pitchers warmed up near the Polo Grounds in NYC. My favorite was Casey Stengel who explained it was an area where relievers sat in a pen shooting the bull sh#t .

Assuming that PETA's woke definition has some meaning in the 21st century then with what would they replace the term ? PETA suggests that "bullpen" should be replaced with "Arm Barn" .

Being a fan of both baseball and the meaning of words I looked up arm barn and found an interesting definition of the phrase in the urban dictionary. Suffice it to say that it is a fitting phrase for the cancel culture .
    Urban Dictionary: arm barn

As a side note . MLB cancelled Atlanta during the All Star Game because of Georgia's voter ID laws and sent the game to Denver Colorado where there are arguably more restrictive voting laws. So this year the World Series underway pits the Atlanta Braves against the Houston Astros . The entire series is being played in states with voter ID Laws !
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2021, 05:52 AM
    PETA thinks that the use of the term is inappropriate for baseball because according to Tracy Reiman, the organization's executive vice president, "Words matter, and baseball 'bullpens' devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals."
    In any other age this line of reasoning would be laughed at and then discarded. In this present age I would not at all be surprised to see it take place. Perhaps "sheepfold" would be a better descriptor?
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2021, 06:35 AM
    I laugh because that is all I can do about it . I recommend Dave Chappelle's Netflix special 'The Closer ' before the woke crowd gets it cancelled . I did not think I would like it .But mixed in with his vulgar brand of comedy was some serious sober social commentary about issues that often get discussed on this site .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2021, 06:56 AM
    Predictably, Netflix is trying to find some way to get out of the Chapelle contract while not appearing to be "woke".

https://candlescent.us/blogs/benefit...zD_4K9-J7bFDZk

(TIME) - After catching heat for his controversial remarks on the LGBTQ+ community, Netflix has found grounds to terminate Dave Chappell's contract over a technicality.

Facing mounting pressure from staff, shareholders, and protestors, Netflix has made the decision to sever ties with Dave Chappelle. However, the reason is not for his controversial remarks, but rather his new business venture, Green Canyon CBD Oil, which Netflix argues has violated the terms of their agreement with Mr. Chappelle.

Seeming to walk the thin line between protestors and fans of the increasingly popular comedian, Netflix cites a clause in Chappelle's contract that loans his name and image. An odd move from the home entertainment giant and one that is sure to spark a new wave of controversy as glowing reviews of his CBD product have begone to hit the web.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2021, 09:07 AM
    I wonder how many artists have a similar clause in their contract with Netflix ;and how often Netflix invokes it . CBD oil ? Really ? Of all the things they are using against him is the one product the woke crowd endorses .

I also fully endorse it's therapeutic value and recommend THC free oil . Based on testimonial and anecdotal evidence from people I know ,it relieves stress and pain. I have also been giving a small dose of oil drops in with my dog's food . There have been fewer seizures since .

Chappelle is not backing down . On Instagram he said; “not a film company, not a movie studio, not a film festival, nobody will touch” an upcoming documentary about his summer 2020 comedy tour. He announced that he would instead be self-releasing the untitled film in 10 cities. “You can see what they’re trying to obstruct you from seeing And you can judge for yourself. But you cannot have this conversation, and exclude my voice from it. That is only fair.”As for PETA ; Herr Doctor Fauci tortures beagles and what baseball calls the place where relief pitchers warm is their concern ? Actually I read that PETA did call him out on it . It's a funny thing . Quid wanted to be the great uniter . But it took herr doctor to unite radical lefty animal lovers and conservative big game hunters in their hatred of him .
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2021, 03:13 AM
    Salena Zito ,the best gum shoe investigative reporter in America ,calls what MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred did in moving the All Star game from Atlantaan example of C-Suit Cowardice

C-suite cowardice — the way corporate America cries uncle, usually silently. Our cultural curators in corporations, academia, entertainment, and the media will willingly make that happen over and over again until the day comes when people wise up and decide that the emperors have no clothes — that the curators' opinions mean nothing.
    Major League Baseball’s C-suite cowardice (washingtonexaminer.com)
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2021, 04:16 AM
    Herr Doctor Fauci is falling out of favor with Americans according to recent polls . Apparently it is ok to put experimental drugs into humans ;but don't mess with our dogs !
    Poll: Majority of voters say Fauci should resign | TheHill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for urban fantasy book [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for an book I believe to be in Urban fantasy. It has a female private detective/ investigator that was called in on a murder. I remember the first part of the book, where the victim was suspended in a gazebo . There were also reports of dog attacks in the news. But the supernatural...

I support PETA. [ 14 Answers ]

I agree that we should treat animals "ethically". ... but I also support People Eating Tasty Animals :) ... I saw that on a bumper sticker this morning and loved it... so just thought I'd pass it along.

Out of 2000 people surveyed, 1200 belong to urban areas and rest to semi urban areas. [ 7 Answers ]

Out of 2000 people surveyed, 1200 belong to urban areas and rest to semi urban areas. Among 1000 who visited other regions, 800 belonged to urban areas. Test at 5% level of significance whether area and visiting other states are dependent.

Urban Legend: PSPhone? [ 6 Answers ]

I've heard with some version of PSP, you can simultaneously use it as a PSP and a phone... free of charge. How do you go along doing this?

Urban clothing wholesalers [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to to purchase wholesale name brand clothing?

View more questions Search