Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweeetanj Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Obie Awards-How do you know.
    How do people find out if they've been given an Obie? All it ever says on the site is who has won, but since there are no nominations, just awards, how and when do people find out if they've won?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 07:07 AM
    There is a yearly awards ceremony. If you have won, you are invited to the ceremony. If you are a member of the association, you get an invite to the annual ceremony.

Here is their website:

OAAA - About Us

Apr 22, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Oh Ruby, I meant the Obie's for theatre... this website, OOAA, is for advertising. Do you know when the THEATRE winners are notified?
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 03:55 PM
    LOL sweet. I should have noticed you posted in the Theater forum. I pulled your question from the unanswered bin. I didn't want you to go unnoticed and ignored, which can happen if no one sees a post immediately.

The Obie awards are presented by The Village Voice. They came up with the idea because the Tonys are only given to Broadway productions. The editors at The Village Voice wanted to give recognition to off-Broadway and off-off Broadway productions which would otherwise go unnoticed.

Please see this link. It tells you when the awards ceremony is and other stuff. If you scroll down, there is a little box with links. One link is About The Obies. I guess the answer you are looking for is, if you buy a subscription to The Village Voice, you will be advised as to who is nominated and who won. I imagine that the newspaper does notify the winners and are invited to the big bash for the presentation.
    village voice > obies

Apr 22, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Thanks, Ruby! I looked on the VV site before I came here and it just seems like the answer to my question is "keep the night of the Obies open and hope you get an envelope in the mail"... lol.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Yeah. It actually works somewhat like that ad agency one. They pick them and you don't know until you go. Kind of weird if you ask me. You would think they would want all the people nominated to show up. I guess they assume if you are at all interested, you will just buy a ticket and wait it out. Maybe they think if they came out with a list only those nominated and their loved ones will show up. This way, everyone in a show will be duped into going? I don't know.

Are you in an off broadway show?

Apr 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I was in a show this season that got really good reviews, and I was singled out as one of the strongest performers, so I'm hoping that maybe they thought so at the Village Voice, too. Last time I was in an award winning show, was 2002, so I could use a little boost to the ego! Lol.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Well, I know that I am only another ant in a major anthill, but I will boost your ego! That is wonderful! I will keep my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for you. I used to go to a lot of off Broadway shows. Preferred them over the Broadway ones. I liked the intimacy of small theaters. And usually the shows were much more interesting and fun. Just remember, the producers always remember the notices good and bad. If you were listed as a strong performer, there will be work out there for you. In the meantime, I am rooting for you and sending you hugs and sloppy Pitbull kisses across the vast outer reaches of cyberspace. :)

Apr 22, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Goshm thanks so much Ruby! I'll definitely post if I do get an Obie... and I'll thank YOU! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Definitely post back and let me know! I would love to hear about it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obie awards [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a mailing list that would notify you of nominations for the OBIE awards?

SE Tax: Small Claims awards $5000 for abruptly Terminating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The Small Claims Awarded $5000 for Terminating the Indep Contractor agreement without giving the 2 weeks notice. I was employed through another company and was paid through that company - however, I was asked to leave w/o the required 2 weeks notice. I aksed for the 2 weeks pay and...

Soap Awards [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the Soap Opera Digest Awards are on or when the nominees are announced, can't find anything about it on the net.

View more questions Search