Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 03:50 PM
    Yet another unanswered question. Don't you find that to be a bit embarrassing?

For the record, I am not a fundamentalist. I don't claim allegiance to any group other than Christians. I find differences with all of them, and I don't like being pigeon-holed.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Yet another unanswered question. Don't you find that to be a bit embarrassing?

For the record, I am not a fundamentalist. I don't claim allegiance to any group other than Christians. I find differences with all of them, and I don't like being pigeon-holed.
    Right. A fundamentalist Christian. It's not a group; it's how one understands the Scriptures and interprets them.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 05:12 PM
    Wow. It's hard to know how to respond to something like this. I say, "I am not a fundamentalist." "Don't be judgmental." "I don't like being pigeon-holed."

Only to see as a response, "Right. A fundamentalist Christian." It's just unbelievable. I thought I was beyond being surprised, but I guess not. So I should, I suppose, congratulate you on yet another incredible (not credible) statement. It is, at least, a good laugh for the evening.

And no, it's not a put down. Just an honest expression of absolute amazement.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 05:13 PM
    Wow. It's hard to know how to respond to something like this.
    Feel free to tell me what I am now that I'm no longer a Christian fundimentalist. :-)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 05:26 PM
    You mean like when you called me a "fundie"??? That kind of judging?
    It's not a judgment at all. A judgment would be saying that's bad or good. I'm categorizing you, not judging you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 05:46 PM
    Like my paternal grandpa used to say, "Call me anything you want; just don't call me late for dinner."
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 05:53 PM
    A judgment would be saying that's bad or good
    Wonderful. So calling someone an atheist is allowable now? Great!

To suggest you don't consider a fundamentalist to be bad is to get as close to lying as a person should ever get. In fact, I would even say...oh well. Forget it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 06:08 PM
    Wonderful. So calling someone an atheist is allowable now? Great!
    Nope. There's nothing wrong with calling someone an atheist unless you're calling the person that as a putdown. It's a category, like Catholic or Baptist or agnostic or Boy Scout. All of those can be used as putdowns, but they aren't in themselves, are just categories (classes or divisions of people that have shared characteristics). Call me a PK or a Mensan or a librarian. I won't be offended. If you add a pejorative adjective, then you're judging me.
    To suggest you don't consider a fundamentalist to be bad is to get as close to lying as a person should ever get. In fact, I would even say...oh well. Forget it.
    I've been there. There are fundamentalist Christians and fundamenalist Muslims. There are also progressive (liberal) ones.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 06:15 PM
    Nope. There's nothing wrong with calling someone an atheist unless you're calling the person that as a putdown.
    Well great. So I can call you an atheist so long as it's not a putdown? Wonderful!! You've opened up a brave new world. And you, of course, will have no way of knowing my intention unless you claim to be able to look into a person's heart. And guess what that amounts to?

You have made my day. I never thought you'd agree to it, but here we are.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 06:19 PM
    Well great. So I can call you an atheist so long as it's not a putdown?
    And then I will disagree with you, sit you down at my dining room table, serve you coffee or tea and an assortment of cookies, and tell you why I'm not an atheist.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 06:23 PM
    Won’t help. Remember…quack like a duck? And remember how I’ve told you repeatedly I am not a fundamentalist and you listen not at all?

What’s it like, being an atheist?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 06:26 PM
    Won’t help. Remember…quack like a duck? And remember how I’ve told you repeatedly I am not a fundamentalist and you listen not at all?

What’s it like, being an atheist?
    What are you then? Where do you fit into the huge puzzle that is Christianity? (You want root beer schnapps instead of coffee or tea?)
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 06:36 PM
    I’ve already told you. I’m a Christian.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 06:44 PM
    I’ve already told you. I’m a Christian.
    You don't attend any church. Or choose a church of the week to go to.

Do you like very solemn services or energetic singing with arms raised and waving, altar calls, faith healing, speaking in tongues?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 06:59 PM
    I pastor the church at the rehab center.

I am happy in a variety of settings so long as there is a genuine love of Jesus, a high regard for the word of God, and a genuine faith.

I despise inconsistency in belief, dishonesty, and evasiveness by those afraid of having their beliefs explored by answering probing questions.

How about you?

Do you like very solemn services or energetic singing with arms raised and waving, altar calls, faith healing, speaking in tongues?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 07:09 PM
    I pastor the church at the rehab center.
    You have a master's in theology?
    I am happy in a variety of settings so long as there is a genuine love of Jesus, a high regard for the word of God, and a genuine faith. despise inconsistency in belief, dishonesty, and evasiveness by those afraid of having their beliefs explored by answering probing questions.
    I know what you mean! (I'm still waiting on the beverage question. Maybe a glass of milk or a Black Russian? Maybe I could get you to giggle.)
    How about you?
    ELCA all the way.
    I'm homebound, wheelchair bound. I go only to my hematologist every six months. Getting out to that and back home again is a journey rife with problems.
    I was born and raised LCMS, very solemn.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 07:14 PM
    I have two years of Bible College and 40 years of Bible reading and study. My Master's Degree is in school administration. My Bachelor's is in Animal Science.

I know what you mean!
    I think you have no idea. I've never met anyone anymore reluctant to have his/her beliefs honestly examined than you are.

I'm homebound, wheelchair bound.
    I'm aware of that. It's very unfortunate, but happily God can bless and use anyone willing to trust Him and be obedient.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 07:31 PM
    I'm aware of that. It's very unfortunate, but happily God can bless and use anyone willing to trust Him and be obedient.
    He does, every day!

Obedient?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2021, 07:45 PM
    Of course.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 8, 2021, 07:49 PM
    Of course.
    Please elaborate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Christian beliefs [ 15 Answers ]

What are the main denominations or churches in the world ? What's the basic difference in beliefs? Which is the oldest church or first church in the world? Is their belief also wrong?

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

View more questions Search