Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2021, 06:36 PM
    and Yet your country is a racial melting pot? go figure
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2021, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    and Yet your country is a racial melting pot? go figure
    Some people are trying to fill the pot so the stew has white meat only.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2021, 08:16 PM
    Black evangelicals believe in human equality as a biblical principle based on the oneness of the human family under God as Creator, stressing the importance of agape in their dealings with all humans and the need to reject racial and national barriers that forbid full fellowship and cooperative ministry. Black evangelicals give priority to Christ’s command to go into all the world and preach the gospel.

White evangelicals (formerly termed fundamentalists -- rigid Bible literalists -- but they stole the evangelical term so as to sound more acceptable as Christians) turn increasingly inward, are caught up in their own internal affairs or controversies, and simply become more and more comfortable with the racial status quo.
    And you know all of this how?

a biblical principle based on the oneness of the human family under God as Creator,
    Since this is a "biblical principle", can you show us scripture to support that contention?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2021, 08:36 PM
    It is simple he is the father of all, the ultimate progenitor

Genesis 1.27
    So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
    Nowhere does it say that he created races to be different
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2021, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    And you know all of this how?
    I've lived a long life and have visited many parts of the U.S., have interacted with people of color and from many different cultures.
    Since this is a "biblical principle", can you show us scripture to support that contention?
    Isaiah 45:18 and 1 John 3:1-3, my cherrypicking for the week.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2021, 10:50 PM
    ah go on, save us from looking it up?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 04:53 AM
    The Isaiah passage supports your idea not at all. "18For this is what the LORD says- he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited- he says: "I am the LORD, and there is no other." So where in that passage does it say anything about "the oneness of the human family under God the Creator?"

Might add the curious feature that you don't accept the Genesis account of God as creator. Strange, don't you think?

The 1 John passage, given a little context, actually refutes your idea. "1See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Now there is an avenue of entrance into God's family, but it is not natural birth. It is found in many places. John chapter 1 is selected here. "10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God."

You really need to gain some understanding on the idea of cherry-picking. In your world, an appeal to the First Amendment for freedom of speech is cherry picking.

"Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position." So if someone actually is cherry picking, it can easily be shown to be the case by simply pointing out the material that is contradictory.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 08:45 AM
    Might add the curious feature that you don't accept the Genesis account of God as creator. Strange, don't you think?
    Yes, I do, especially that God is the Creator, as have many cultures and indigenous tribes before me. I don't get my panties in a twist over HOW He did it -- just believe He was the One.
    So if someone actually is cherry picking, it can easily be shown to be the case by simply pointing out the material that is contradictory.
    Oh my! Apparently, like you do so well, I can't cherry pick anymore. And all those years I spent doing just that in the cherry orchards of western NY. Woe is me!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    It is simple he is the father of all, the ultimate progenitor

Nowhere does it say that he created races to be different
    Racism, born of hate and fear, is entirely a human construct.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Racism, born of hate and fear, is entirely a human construct.
    And even within each race, there's suspicion and distrust and envy and hate.

Why can't we all just get along??? It isn't that difficult!
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 12:04 PM
    And even within each race, there's suspicion and distrust and envy and hate.
    Absolutely true. True even within families.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 12:37 PM
    I've lived a long life and have visited many parts of the U.S., have interacted with people of color and from many different cultures.
    In other words, you don't really know. You're just expressing a personal opinion. That's fine, but it's no substitute for a real answer.

I think it's funny how you two love to toss those terms around, terms for which you have no real understanding and have no desire to understand. This seems like a pretty good description. "Evangelicalism, evangelical Christianity, or evangelical Protestantism, is a worldwide trans-denominational movement within Protestant Christianity that maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace alone, solely through faith in Jesus's atonement. Evangelicals believe in the centrality of the conversion or "born again" experience in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God's revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message. The movement has long had a presence in the Anglosphere before spreading further afield in the 19th, 20th and early 21st centuries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 01:00 PM
    "Evangelicalism, evangelical Christianity, or evangelical Protestantism, is a worldwide trans-denominational movement within Protestant Christianity that maintains the belief that the essence of the Gospel consists of the doctrine of salvation by grace alone, solely through faith in Jesus's atonement.
    The difference is, true evangelicals are not literalists. Fundamentalists are.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 01:07 PM
    The difference is, true evangelicals are not literalists. Fundamentalists are.
    Just another opinion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 01:11 PM
    Just another opinion.
    Ask any pastor whose church has the word "evangelical" in its name. JL, do you know what that word means? (Pssst, ORIGIN: Middle English (in the sense ‘gospel’): from Old French evangile, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek euangelion ‘good news’, from euangelos ‘bringing good news’, from eu- ‘well’ + angelein ‘announce’.)
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 01:13 PM
    Ask any pastor whose church has the word "evangelical" in its name. JL, do you know what that word means?
    Did you just wake up? I just posted the description of evangelicals above, not thirty minutes ago.

It's just your opinion, WG. You are welcome to it, but it has no real credibility.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 01:20 PM
    It's just your opinion, WG. You are welcome to it, but it has no real credibility.
    Hardly, JL. You need to get out more. Evangelical is NOT what literalists are.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 01:24 PM
    And still more opinion. Sorry, but I don't put much stock in your opinion, but as I've said, you are certainly welcome to it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2021, 01:29 PM
    And still more opinion. Sorry, but I don't put much stock in your opinion, but as I've said, you are certainly welcome to it.
    Ask any pastor of an evangelical congregation. I grew up surrounded by legions of them. And rubbed elbows with them during much of my adult life.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2021, 02:55 PM
    Opinion...opinion...opinion.

I've been preaching for forty years. I know a lot of preachers, and many are evangelicals. And that means that, like you, I have met much less than 1/100 of 1% of evangelical preachers, and thus can draw no useful conclusions at all from my contacts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jail in lockdown [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my boyfriend is in north county corectional facility in California I have not heard from him in about 4 days I think the jail is on lockdown is normal for him not to call me he calls me like 10 times a day so I'm really worried does anybody have any idea what could possibly be n does lockdown...

Stuck on Lockdown [ 5 Answers ]

Hey , I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now , and just recently he has told me that I'm not allowed to drink anymore and go out to town anymore. His reason is because he's insecure and he worries when I go out I will met someone or get hit on etc. I was quite mad about it and said your...

Stuck. Lockdown. [ 119 Answers ]

Sneezy here. Oh boy, it's been a while since I've asked a question, but perhaps you wiser folks could give me some sort of wisdom. So, I have a girlfriend. Things have been, for a lack of a better word, fantastic. Can't really complain much about the relationship. I'm back here for the...

Sydney's cheeks are swollen and red [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, First let me say that I will be taking Sydney to the doctor today, sadly my family doctor Is out of town so I'll be taking her to a walk in clinic. I don't trust walk in clinics, I've Had bad experiences with them before. I'm just looking for opinions, this came on so...

View more questions Search