Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 10:11 AM
    Brett Kavanaugh rips a new A-hole for the NCAA plantation .
    His concurring opinion in a case against the NCAA is blistering . (NCAA V Alston)
    "The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six- and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing,"

20-512 National Collegiate Athletic Assn. v. Alston (06/21/2021) (supremecourt.gov)

Neil Gorsuch wrote the initial opinion against the way the NCAA compensates college athletes .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    His concurring opinion in a case against the NCAA is blistering . (NCAA V Alston)
    "The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six- and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing,"

20-512 National Collegiate Athletic Assn. v. Alston (06/21/2021) (supremecourt.gov)

Neil Gorsuch wrote the initial opinion against the way the NCAA compensates college athletes .

The NCAA is out of control and needs to be reined in. Good for Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2021, 05:20 AM
    It is the death knell of genuine, amateur college athletics. You will end up with a few dozen (or even fewer) financial monsters who dominate everything and amount to nothing more than training facilities for the NFL and the NBA. Women's athletics will become even more irrelevant.

I agree that colleges have foolishly allowed vast sums of money to be spent on what amounts to vanity, but to say that the college athletes do not receive anything is completely untrue. College athletes get a really great college experience for four or five years, great athletic training, the opportunity to play athletics on a high level, and lest it go unmentioned, at least one college degree if not two or three.

Having said that, I see the truth in the SC ruling. I guess it has all been inevitable, but as one old enough to remember college athletics as it was fifty years ago, it is sad to see all that about to pass away and be replaced with the monster that lies ahead of us.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2021, 05:39 AM
    That was a time when pro athletes were underpaid and subject to things like the reserve clause making them effectively indentured servants . Free agency revealed their true value because they were not just employees . They were the product being sold .

A scholarship is valuable to someone who will genuinely use it to better themselves . But too many are offered knowing that the student will do nothing with the time in school except to train and play the sport , They leave campus unprepared .Few move on to become pros .

To the NCAA “amateur" and “student-athlete” are terms used by the universities so they can exploit the talent , skills ,and name brand of young athletes .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2021, 07:33 AM
    But too many are offered knowing that the student will do nothing with the time in school except to train and play the sport , They leave campus unprepared .Few move on to become pros .
    Then perhaps that is the problem which should be addressed. Not really sure how that becomes an argument in favor of NIL. Very, very few college athletes will sell shirts with their names on them.
    To the NCAA “amateur" and “student-athlete” are terms used by the universities so they can exploit the talent , skills ,and name brand of young athletes
    That's a fair comment for the big schools. For the hundreds of smaller schools, it's much less true. For many of them, athletics is a burden insisted upon by the alumni.

I often thought that high schools would have been much better off if athletics was moved to non-school organizations. Perhaps the same would be true for colleges and universities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amy Barrett ; Robert Kavanaugh . Y'all got it wrong [ 12 Answers ]

The Dems were in absolute panic mode because Barrett would swing the court irreversibly to a "conservative" majority. Which was unacceptable to the Dems . But the real divide in the court is between textual interpretation of the constitution vs activist "living breathing " make it up as you go...

NCAA Sweet Sixteen. [ 14 Answers ]

Go Bucks! Are the Buckeyes really the best? Maybe not. They will have to work hard if they want to get into the Final Four. Is Duke or Kansas really the "killers" that the news people say that they are? I don't know.

NCAA scores [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to use excel to draft a spreadsheet that has 332 NCAA men's Basketball teams, to sort the Away scores and allowed and match those stats against the Home team stats. I noticed an anomaly last year when the home teams covered more than 60% of the games against the spread. However, I...

What is the Value of a Brett Farve autographed photo? [ 2 Answers ]

~ I love my photo of my favorite Football star, Brett Favre, but I desperately need money to buy Christmas gifts for my family. It is an autographed photo of him running onto the field at the start of his 200th consecutive starting game. It has a certificate of authenticity and a hologram. ~ I...

View more questions Search