Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2021, 07:14 PM
    Posting many texts in lieu of personal testimony is a fools' way out.
    What a absurd argument. Put someone's personal experiences above the Bible? No one who has any knowledge of the Bible would arrive at such a foolish conclusion.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2021, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    What a absurd argument. Put someone's personal experiences above the Bible? No one who has any knowledge of the Bible would arrive at such a foolish conclusion.
    That's the best way to gain converts.
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2021, 07:29 PM
    The best way to gain converts is to present the Christ of the Bible. He is loving, powerful, compassionate, and able to radically change lives. How do we know this? Because it's someone's testimony? Well, that helps, but we ultimately know it because it's what the Bible says. But to accept what we like and discard what we don't like is the sure way of accepting false beliefs about God. It's what you are doing, and it results in an acceptance of a Jesus of our own making if we are not careful.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2021, 07:53 PM
    Athos, if you have a belief, then support it with the Bible the way I have done. If you can't, then it's just opinion.
    Exactly how have you done that? And exactly what is your belief?

I thought personal testimony was a big thing with you evangelical types.

The best way to gain converts is to present the Christ of the Bible. He is loving, powerful, compassionate, and able to radically change lives.
    Do you also tell them he will send you to hell for eternity in flaming punishment if you don't believe in him? Is that part of your conversion process?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2021, 08:00 PM
    The best way to gain converts is to present the Christ of the Bible. He is loving, powerful, compassionate, and able to radically change lives. How do we know this? Because it's someone's testimony? Well, that helps, but we ultimately know it because it's what the Bible says. But to accept what we like and discard what we don't like is the sure way of accepting false beliefs about God. It's what you are doing, and it results in an acceptance of a Jesus of our own making if we are not careful.
    Just smack them on the forehead with that Bible! Works every time! NOT!!!

Touch the heart first, not flood the brain.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2021, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Do you also tell them he will send you to hell for eternity in flaming punishment if you don't believe in him? Is that part of your conversion process?
    Of course, JL does! If he doesn't scare the pants off them, they'll ignore him.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2021, 12:38 PM
    Touch the heart first, not flood the brain.
    It is good to have the heart touched WITH THE TRUTH.

Exactly how have you done that? And exactly what is your beliefs?
    I have not posted a belief. You have. You have said that unbelievers do not go to hell. When asked to support it (repeatedly), you have shown you are unable to do so. And now you seem to be not man enough to simply admit to it. Pretty sad.

I thought personal testimony was a big thing with you evangelical types.
    I don't consider myself to be an "evangelical type". At any rate, personal testimony is next to useless in establishing truth. It can illustrate it, but not establish it. For every "personal testimony" WG or anyone else can post, someone else can be found with the opposite "personal testimony".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2021, 12:45 PM
    It is good to have the heart touched WITH THE TRUTH.
    Nope. Touch their hearts first spiritually with kindness and love. My speaking and their hearing the Gospel can then follow.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2021, 12:57 PM
    I have not posted a belief.
    Your words from above - "If you have a belief then support it with the Bible the way I have done"

I don't consider myself to be an "evangelical type".
    Fundamentalist? Born again?
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2021, 01:02 PM
    Yes. Put Bible texts on the board. Simple.

Christian. Born again? I'd sure say yes to that.

Define "Fundamentalist".
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2021, 04:34 PM
    Christian. Born again? I'd sure say yes to that.

Define "Fundamentalist".
    I think of fundamentalist as primarily reading the Bible literally. I like the Catholic approach where they read it literally, historically, spiritually, and allegorically. I think most mainstream Protestant denominations read it like the Catholics, more or less.

As far as dogma/doctrine/belief, I am opposed to the unbeliever goes to hell business. It requires substituting the Bible for God. I understand that fundies believe the Bible was written by God. I'm not sure how they explain that, but there's too much in the Bible that God couldn't possibly have said or done.

There are fundamentalists in every religion who are similar to the Christians in the sense of being literal.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 12:32 PM
    I think of fundamentalist as primarily reading the Bible literally. I like the Catholic approach where they read it literally, historically, spiritually, and allegorically.
    I certainly agree with reading the Bible literally, historically, spiritually, and allegorically. The key element is knowing when to employ each one.

As far as dogma/doctrine/belief, I am opposed to the unbeliever goes to hell business. It requires substituting the Bible for God. I understand that fundies believe the Bible was written by God. I'm not sure how they explain that, but there's too much in the Bible that God couldn't possibly have said or done.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "substituting the Bible for God." Are you saying that you have some utterly dependable means outside of the Bible for knowing what God is like? BTW, fundamentalists do not believe God wrote the Bible. They believe men wrote the Bible, but did so by being moved by the Spirit of God in such a way that it is God's Word.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2021, 01:37 PM
    I certainly agree with reading the Bible literally, historically, spiritually, and allegorically. The key element is knowing when to employ each one.
    Is the Flood story an allegory or literal/historical? Is Jonah and the great fish story alligorical or literal/historical? How do you know?
    BTW, fundamentalists do not believe God wrote the Bible. They believe men wrote the Bible, but did so by being moved by the Spirit of God in such a way that it is God's Word.
    We don't have the original text of the Bible. And we know at least some of the translators had an agenda, so tweaked/changed words and phrases.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 01:46 PM
    Is the Flood story an allegory or literal/historical? Is Jonah and the great fish story alligorical or literal/historical? How do you know?
    The general rule of hermeneutics is to take a passage literally unless there is a compelling reason not to. I take them both literally since I see no compelling reason not to, but I have no quarrel with someone who chooses not to.

Why did you misspell allegorical as "alligorical"?

And we know at least some of the translators had an agenda, so tweaked/changed words and phrases.
    Oh? Where are those passages altered by someone who had an agenda?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2021, 02:14 PM
    Why did you misspell allegorical as "alligorical"?
    I was watching - and booing -- Dr. Phil. Hard to boo and speel kerectlee.
    Oh? Where are those passages altered by someone who had an agenda?
    The ones, for example, that changed the translation of the Greek word from "pedophiles" to "homosexuals".
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 02:52 PM
    Your example is ludicrous. You are trying to go back to the good old days of Luther when he used a German word which could have the connotation of pedophile. But if Luther kind of, sort of goes one way, and every modern translation, by the dozens, go a different way, then I'm not putting my money on Luther. Besides, the root of the Greek word is the word for "man", so to suggest it is referring to boys and men having sex is really a reach.

Surely you can come up with a Greek lexicon or major translation that uses "pedophile". If you can't, and you can't, and they why make such a preposterous statement? At any rate, if that's all you have, then you have nothing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2021, 03:02 PM
    At any rate, if that's all you have, then you have nothing.
    Paul coined the word arsenokoitai.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 03:15 PM
    First of all, that is not settled as being true by a long shot. With 99.999% of ancient writing lost, then no one can say that. It is thought that Philo might have used it several decades earlier, but can't be certain.

But even at that, what difference would it make? Your approach is a perfect example of eisegesis.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2021, 03:24 PM
    First of all, that is not settled as being true by a long shot. With 99.999% of ancient writing lost, then no one can say that. It is thought that Philo might have used it several decades earlier, but can't be certain.

But even at that, what difference would it make? Your approach is a perfect example of eisegesis.
    I have absolutely no idea what you're babbling about.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 04:35 PM
    I kind of figured that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

I was told by a "spiritual leader" or "medium" to put white flowers in my bedroom. [ 8 Answers ]

I have no idea what they are intended to do or what area in my life they are going to improve or affect. Does anyone know what white flowers, specifically in the bedroom are for?? Thanks in advance!

Dead white pitbull (Dexter?) "tells" its story in a black/white French(?) 90's-movie [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I tried for several hours to find the title of this movie on Google and IMDB through countless searches. As I recall, this is quite a strange 1-hour film about a dog (white pitbull called Dexter or Boxer, I think) that sits quietly and still on a chair looking straight at the camera. We can...

View more questions Search