Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovemydogs73 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Lab puppy draining me
    I have had all sorts of dogs before, including labs. This puppy (approx 14 weeks) is soooo destructive. We live on quite a bit of property, so I have had to keep her mostly outside due to her distructiveness. I know that she is quite smart, as she can get her teeth on anything. She has been very easy to train as far as pottying, walking on a leash and sitting waiting to be fed. She has a one-year-old shepard mix that plays with her quite often. In addition we are outside quite a bit with her thowing balls, doing yard work, and we take both dogs for nightly walks. She is also provided with quite a bit of dog toys... the kong, busy bones, pig ears, etc. What else can I do to get her to stop tearing everything up? (Our deck, sons toys, flowers, pots, dog bowls, small animals, our cat... the list goes on).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Some dogs are just much worse than others. I have had 15 1/2 Labs, and each one has been different, varying from sweethearts to hellions. I also frequently host visitors including the two 7 week old Goldens we got last night on about 2 hours notice. One of them crawled behind the toilet this morning and snagged her collar on the handle to the stop. Much of what I have learned about coping with the more difficult ones is in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Here is some more material that will help:

A mousetrap is very effective in making a dog leave something alone. Most
    Dogs will stay away from anywhere they were surprised by a snap. The best
    Part is that it is not you that is correcting the dog. It works whether you
    Are around or not. The mousetrap is very patient and is always on task as
    Long as you reset it. You can buy Bitter Apple spray or cream that helps sometimes.

Better than mousetraps when you aren't around is the crate. Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy. When you are watching it, immediately correct it as soon as it goes for anything except its own toys. In a quiet, but firm voice ''Bad dog, its name drop!''. Gently remove what ever and replace it with one of her toys, or if older, hold eye contact until the puppy drops it.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

I have to run. We are doing a fundraiser at Wal-Mart today. The 7 week olds are a great traffic stopper. If you post back, I should be able to give individual answers to specific questions tonight or tomorrow.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Could you clarify what you meant by "small animals, our cat"? Has this dog killed them, seriously injured them, harassed them, what? That's what I'd want to get a handle on first, if I were you. There's a huge difference between a puppy that's killing animals and one that's chewing up your sneakers.
    lovemydogs73 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 04:36 PM
    She has killed moles and chases everything alive... she is very dominant over my one year old male german shepard mix... my cat will hiss and scratch her, but she doesn't mind that at all, it just leads to the "great chase." I really think that she is just a rough player... she is not at all aggressive, just stubborn and dominant. I am just not sure how to break her of this, if this is just her personality, if it gets better with age, etc. I have always done well with training my dogs, but with her, it is a whole other story.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Love, labman has some very good books that are included in his sticky at the top of the dog forum.https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html
    I am sure he will stop in to give you some additional guidance. Unfortunately, I am short on time at the moment. But, it does appear that your dog needs quite a lot more hands on training than most in the Alpha department. Meaning, you need to really work hard on getting her to understand that you are the Alpha. Once that is accomplished, there is more work ahead of you. You are going to have to do some desentivity training with your cat. Killing moles now, at this age, along with chasing the cat around, is a clear signal that you will have major problems down the road if this is not brought under control now. It may seem like play now, but it won't be play later on as she matures. In addition, the fact that at this age, she is showing dominance over a one year old male is very troublesome in my mind.

In addition to whatever advice labman supplies, and whatever books you choose to read from his list, it might serve you well to find out who runs the best puppy training classes in your area. You may need to have some specialized one on one classes with your dog. You just may have found yourself a lab that was improperly bred. The sooner you can get a handle on these issues, the better it will be for everyone.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I should have mentioned dogs like yours need strong leadership. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Even as a strong leader, I wouldn't count on training her to leave the moles and cat alone. Don't leave her and the cat alone together. Make sure the cat has safe refuges. Some of the cat furniture with poles and boxes with small entrances would be good. When she does start for the cat, give her a sharp ''Ut, ut, ut!'' and offer her a safe toy, not a pigs' ear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

Housebreaking a choc. Lab puppy [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just recently got a new chocolate lab puppy. She is about 9 1/2 weeks old right now. I also have a 2 year old female choc. Lab. When I got my first lab she was already 12 weeks old so it only took us a few days to housebreak her. But I've had the new puppy for almost 2 weeks now and...

Desperate situation with lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old labXgsd. I have had her from 6weeks old. I was supposed to be moving into a house after a month which was fine - with me having the puppy inside my flat. Things have gone horrible wrong with my transfer which means I won't be getting my house soon. I feel terrible for keeping...

Ginormous lab puppy. [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy is six months old now, and she's huge. She's a little over sixty pounds. She isn't overweight. There's not a bit of fat on her. In fact, for a while I was afraid she wasn't eating enough, but her ribs are just perfect. I free feed her through the day up to the maximum suggested amount...

Lab puppy question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old lab puppy. Many days she can go to work with me but some days she has to stay home. I live alone so she can't be supervised. I'm working on crate training her (for house training and the general "create a safe haven for the puppy" thing). I can get home at lunch and then...

View more questions Search