Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 06:50 AM
    I caught on a long time ago. AGW is the basis of a new science based religion
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 04:08 AM
    This report illustrates how climate models are manipulated to get a predetermined result .

Some forcings in some computer models had to be scaled down to match computer simulations to actual climate observations. But when it came to making centennial projections on which governments rely and drive climate policy, the scaling factors were removed, probably resulting in a 25 to 30 percent over-prediction of the 2100 warming.

Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, And Why It Matters, by Steven E. Koonin | RealClearEnergy

“Unsettled” is an authoritative primer on the science of climate change that lifts the lid on The Science and finds plenty that isn’t as it should be. “As a scientist,” writes Koonin, “I felt the scientific community was letting the public down by not telling the whole truth plainly.” Koonin’s aim is to right that wrong.
    Also facts from Koonin's book
    “The warmest temperatures in the US have not risen in the past fifty years,”
    “Humans have had no detectable impact on hurricanes over the past century,“
    “Since the middle of the twentieth century, the number of significant tornadoes hasn’t changed much at all, but the strongest storms have become less frequent,“
    The rate of global sea-level rise 70 years ago was as large as what we observe today,
    Instead of droughts, “the past fifty years have been slightly wetter than average”
    Rather than famine, “in the fifty years from 1961 to 2011, global yields of wheat, rice, and maize … each more than doubled,”
    (“Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, and Why It Matters.” by Steven E. Koonin.) Who is Koonin ? He was the 2nd Undersecretary of Energy and Climate in the emperor's regime .
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 04:26 AM
    The fact is AGW is not man made at all, it is a natural process and man's efforts will be unrewarded
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 22, 2021, 04:47 AM
    "As one modeller confesses, 'it’s a real challenge to model what we don’t understand.' ”

Really?

And another. "Climate models can’t even agree on what the current global average temperature is. “One particularly jarring feature is that the simulated average global surface temperature,” Koonin notes, “varies among models by about 3°C, three times greater than the observed value of the twentieth century warming they’re purporting to describe and explain.' "
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What It Doesn’t, And Why It Matters, by Steven E. Koonin | RealClearEnergy
    This book by Koonin has been thoroughly rebutted by 2007 Nobelist Dr. Gary Yohe. For Dr. Yohe's many achievements over 40 years see the below link from Wesleyan University. Too much to post here.

https://gyohe.faculty.wesleyan.edu/

For the rebuttal of Koonin's book see the next link below for the details specifically replying to the incorrect claims made by Koonin.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-badly-wrong/

I realize it's a lot to read and most of you won't bother, but it's available here anyway for those seeking the truth.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2021, 07:59 AM
    I read the article. It was largely a complaint that Koonin did not agree with the ideas Yohe has accepted. The only thing he managed to challenge on anything even approaching a successful level was sea level rise. That was then followed by this incredible statement. "His teaser for Chapter 7 is an equally troubling misdirection. He promises to highlight “some points likely to surprise anyone who follows the news—for instance, that the global area burned by fires each year has declined by 25 percent since observations began in 1998.” Global statistics are meaningless in this context."

So in other words, Koonin was right in what he said. As anyone who studies science knows, you cannot take localized information (from, in this case, California) and extrapolate that to the globe. That's exactly what Yohe tried to do.

If that article is the best the left wingers have, then Koonin wrote a great book.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 02:43 PM
    Only a american would think what goes on in California is typical of the rest of the world
    Uber Member

May 22, 2021, 03:51 PM
    You're kidding yourself big time if you think that's true. You're anti-American hatred/bias is really incredible.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This report illustrates how climate models are manipulated to get a predetermined result .
    From Scientific American - A New Book Manages to Get Climate Science Badly Wrong. In Unsettled, Steven Koonin deploys that highly misleading label to falsely suggest that we don’t understand the risks well enough to take action

"Regardless of what Koonin has written in his new book, the science is clear, and the consensus is incredibly wide. Scientists are generating and reporting data with more and more specificity about climate impacts and surrounding uncertainties all the time. This is particularly true with regard to the exaggerated natural, social and economic risks associated with climate extremes—the low-probability, high-consequence events that are such a vital part of effective risk management. This is not an unsettled state of affairs. It is living inside a moving picture of what is happening portrayed with sharper clarity and more detail with every new peer-reviewed paper."
    Uber Member

May 22, 2021, 06:31 PM
    In the long quote above, there is not a single instance of the use of data to refute Koonin's very well cited book. It's just Yohe's opinions and a highly questionable statement about a consensus regarding catastrophic climate change supposedly being "incredibly wide". I'd love to see the data supporting that allegation. Is it not standard practice to refute data with data, and if that is not done then wouldn't it seem to indicate that the individual is not able to do so?
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2021, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You're kidding yourself big time if you think that's true. You're anti-American hatred/bias is really incredible.
    What you dont see the truth in what I say?
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 12:52 AM
    Wall Street Journal article repeats multiple incorrect and misleading claims made in Steven Koonin’s new book ’Unsettled’

Twelve scientists analyzed the article and estimate its overall scientific credibility to be very low.
    A majority of reviewers tagged the article as: Inaccurate, Misleading.

SUMMARY

A Wall Street Journal article published in April 2021 reviews Steven Koonin’s book ‘Unsettled’. In ‘Unsettled’, Koonin, a theoretical physicist and professor at New York University, expresses his views on climate science.

Scientists who reviewed the article found that it builds on a collection of misleading and false claims. The article goes on to review the melting ice sheet, sea rise, tornadoes, crop yields and wildfires.

Details of above and several scientists who write about Koonin's errors including charts are both treated extensively in the below link.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluati...Steven-koonin/
    Uber Member

May 23, 2021, 05:14 AM
    The Climate Feedback article seems to be a well-cited, data based review of Koonin's book. I think the forest fires aspect is still suspect. California, for instance, suffers a lot because of poor forest management. Still, the sea level rise and Greenland ice sheet answers seemed to be well documented.

You're learning!!
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 05:40 AM
    The Climate Feedback article seems to be a well-cited, data based review of Koonin's book. I think the forest fires aspect is still suspect. California, for instance, suffers a lot because of poor forest management. Still, the sea level rise and Greenland ice sheet answers seemed to be well documented.

You're learning!!
    but you are not, sea level rise is a myth, islands like Tuvalu are sinking, there has been no appreciable rise in sea level in Sydney harbour since records began in the early 1800
    This is all a nonsense, fires in California are fuelled by tree species not AGW
    Uber Member

May 23, 2021, 05:57 AM
    Not according to this.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 06:54 AM
    fires in California are fuelled by tree species not AGW
    There were fires in California before white people came to the continent . What the natives understood but the envirowackos do not is that there has to be forest management ;controlled fires and clearing of underbrush .

Indigenous Tribes Restore Prescribed Burns in California (nature.org)
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 02:26 PM
    Not according to this.
    and what is that another J curve? Meaningless without a legend
    Uber Member

May 23, 2021, 02:30 PM
    Global mean (average) sea level rise by millimeters per year. It would not be much, just several inches over a century. I have no idea if it's worth worrying about or not.
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 09:20 PM
    Depends upon where it is, as I said according to some measurements it is a myth, like the rest of AGW which is based on modelling and averages taken from who knows where
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2021, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Depends upon where it is, as I said according to some measurements it is a myth, like the rest of AGW which is based on modelling and averages taken from who knows where

Having eyes, they see not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does the tilt of earth's axis as earth revolves around the sun cause? [ 2 Answers ]

My science homework question and I have no idea what the answer is!

What on Earth? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I, very much in love, were talking and gushing over each other on IM as usual. All good, right? But then he said "Oh one second my mother is prowling about, gotta make sure she's not listening for me." Obviously that makes sense because she probably doesn't want him on the...

New earth [ 15 Answers ]

Some here have said that THIS earth is done away with because of the verses that speak of a new heaven and a new earth. I was wondering do you believe the earth is done away with before the millennium? If so would that mean the millennium is on the new earth that God creates?

What on earth do I say? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for awhile now and he thinks its time for me to meet his daughters,there 11 and 12 years old.I have no idea what to say to them.they don't know we are going out . This is not a big thing to him but it is to me,it means a lot to me I know not to try to hard...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search