Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2021, 10:48 AM
    Rhetorical means no answer or response is needed. Even you have outdone yourself!
    Now that you have stated what everyone here already knows, perhaps you can get around to stating what the point was in your supposedly rhetorical question, and especially as it concerns the DC trial. Now I'm pretty sure you can't or won't, but maybe you will surprise me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2021, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Now that you have stated what everyone here already knows, perhaps you can get around to stating what the point was in your supposedly rhetorical question, and especially as it concerns the DC trial. Now I'm pretty sure you can't or won't, but maybe you will surprise me.
    Empathy.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2021, 12:37 PM
    Roger.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2021, 01:11 PM
    Empathy for who, DC, GF, or both?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2021, 01:59 PM
    Empathy for who, DC, GF, or both?
    Even for you.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2021, 02:13 PM
    So I am left to assume, since you did not directly answer the question, that you mean both. I would agree with that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2021, 02:27 PM
    So I am left to assume, since you did not directly answer the question, that you mean both. I would agree with that.
    For Blacks, for Latinx, for Asians, for Native Americans, for whites, for the LGBT+ community, and especially for cats and dogs.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2021, 04:00 PM
    and for the police.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2021, 04:00 PM
    I have no sympathy for the abuser of his authority and responsibility when it costs the life of one he was charged with serving and protecting and happy he was held to account for his action. DC found guilty of ALL charges.

Sentencing pending.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2021, 04:25 PM
    Yes guilty of abusing the trust the community placed in him, and undoubtedly guilty of murder, but the prosecution couldn't prove motive so they settled for three lesser charges
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2021, 05:35 AM
    Juan Williams made the cut . Evidently he is not Black enough for any Network but Fox. Williams wrote an op-ed about it .
    Juan Williams: Am I not Black enough? | TheHill

He is liberal, a Democratic Party cheerleader, author of multiple books on race relations ,and black . Just not enough so .
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2021, 06:03 AM
    Perhaps the key paragraph.

"The sin here is arrogance. It is an unspoken bias that causes too many gatekeepers in American media, business and academia to put people in boxes so they can dismiss or ignore their point of view."

I might add that it is not merely, "so they can dismiss or ignore their point of view," but so they can advance their own views without the inconvenience of having to show why we should accept those views.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 21, 2021, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes guilty of abusing the trust the community placed in him, and undoubtedly guilty of murder, but the prosecution couldn't prove motive so they settled for three lesser charges
    Lesser charges that carry an aggregate of 75 years in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Juan Williams made the cut . Evidently he is not Black enough for any Network but Fox. Williams wrote an op-ed about it .
    Juan Williams: Am I not Black enough? | TheHill

He is liberal, a Democratic Party cheerleader, author of multiple books on race relations ,and black . Just not enough so .
    What a noghead but more reflective of one than a wholesale policy as has been all your black lists.

By JL/

I might add that it is not merely, "so they can dismiss or ignore their point of view," but so they can advance their own views without the inconvenience of having to show why we should accept those views.
    Everybody does that...DUUUUUUUH!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Lesser charges that carry an aggregate of 75 years in jail.
    all US sentencing seems excessive in lieu of the death penalty, this is what happens when you don't plead guilty to a lesser charge

so Duuuh!
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2021, 05:17 AM
    Kieran Bhattacharya dared to question the scientific validity of the term “microaggressions” during a panel discussion at the University of Virginia’s School of Medicine.

Beginning at about 28 minutes. Bhattacharya is respectful and calm, and is asking legitimate questions. It appears his main concern was the blanket vagueness of the term that allows anyone to claim a microaggression for almost any statement or act.
    Microaggressions (presented By AMWA) by medgate (soundcloud.com)

As a result, the administration had branded him a threat to the university and banned him from campus.

Who knew that questioning the concept of microaggression was a microaggression in itself ?

The student was informed that he must be evaluated by psychological services before returning to classes. Bhattacharya repeatedly asked university officials to clarify what exactly he was accused of, under whose authority his counseling had been mandated, and why his enrollment status was suddenly in doubt, according to [Bhattacharya’s subsequent] lawsuit. These queries only appear to have made UVA officials more determined to punish him: Bhattacharya’s mounting frustration with these baseless accusations of unspecified wrongdoings was essentially treated as evidence that he was guilty. At his hearing, he was accused of being “extremely defensive” and ordered to change his “aggressive, threatening behavior.”
    He was ultimately suspended for “aggressive and inappropriate interactions in multiple situations.” On December 30, UVA police ordered him to leave campus.
    A Medical Student Questioned Microaggressions. UVA Branded Him a Threat and Banished Him from Campus. – Reason.com
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2021, 05:24 AM
    Welcome to the 1930's USSR. Thank goodness he at least has some backbone and is resisting.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2021, 06:58 PM
    Bravo the the Kentucky Derby . They refuse the pressure from the cancel culture and will include the song ' My old Kentucky Home ' .The state anthem ,written by Stephen Foster in 1853 , has been played before every race since 1921. According to Snooze Week "Foster is believed to have been inspired by Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin, initially naming the song "Poor Old Uncle Tom, Good-Night!"...... "Foster's intentions and the song's meaning have long been debated, with many people considering "My Old Kentucky Home" to be racist."

But as Snooze Week also points out ; "a condemnation of Kentucky's enslavers who sold husbands away from their wives and mothers away from their children," and as "the lament of an enslaved person who has been forcibly separated from his family and his painful longing to return to the cabin with his wife and children." .
    Why 'My Old Kentucky Home' is So Controversial (newsweek.com)

So the idea that the song is a racists song is absurd .

Me I'll be rooting for 'Hot Rod Charlie ' to win the race because I like the name .
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2021, 04:38 AM
    black listed today is any ex Trump Administration official who wants to get published by Simon and Shuster . Specifically VP Pence ,but a petition by employees makes it clear that they consider all former Trumpsters as persona non grata .

Simon & Schuster Employees Submit Petition Demanding No Deals With Trump Administration Authors - WSJ

Kudos to Simon & Schuster President and CEO Jonathan Karp who defended the company's decision to publish Pence's work, citing the company's duty to "publish, not cancel."
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2021, 05:12 AM
    Here's a good one for you sports fans. The symbol baseball uses for a strike out is a "K" . In many stadium ,a "K" is put up on the board to denote how many strikeouts the home pitcher has gotten. Well in Cincinnati the Reds will not put up the third K on the board until a fourth strikeout is recorded . They do not want KKK on their scoreboard. Must be that those thousands of fans at the game may mistake the contest for a Klan rally . ?

Must be quite a conflict for Cincinnati fans .... KKK or the Reds . who to root for ?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2021, 09:26 AM
    Cancelling Disney again .
    A revamped version of Disneyland's famed Snow White ride is drawing backlash for portraying the 'true love's kiss' scene, which critics say undermines lessons about consent by portraying the Prince kissing Snow White while she is asleep.
    Prince's real name is Chester Molester

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lists of plays [ 1 Answers ]

I need a list of African American theatrical productions played at Sarah Lawrence college between 1985 to 1993. Thanks.

Deportation Lists [ 1 Answers ]

Are there lists available of names of people who were deported from Canada?

Quit claim deeds lists 6, special warranty lists 2: who owns it? [ 5 Answers ]

My mother recently passed. She changed her trust from 6 to 4 children, removing 2 from receiving anything. The older real estate quit claim deed listed all six. A newer real estate special warranty deed lists only two (co-trustees) . Who owns the property? And how do we proceed? A quit claim...

Distribution lists [ 1 Answers ]

I use OE and create Distribution Lists often (Groups). I Cannot figure out how to set Distribution Lists so the names of all the people in the list do not show in the email that is sent out. I have received other people's distribution lists that are set up with their own name in the TO: box,...

View more questions Search