Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2021, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    The great majority of our fifth graders could differentiate in both instances. Pretty basic.
    Without looking it up (and I'm trusting you here), what's the difference between has gone and had gone?

Why are its/it's and your/you're and there/their/they're almost always mixed up and misused in emails, on websites, and even in edited publications?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 04:44 PM
    Without looking it up (and I'm trusting you here), what's the difference between has gone and had gone?
    The two I VERY specifically referred to were your/you're and its/it's. You MUST learn to read more carefully.

Has gone and had gone are more advanced. I somehow managed to make it 67 years with a master's degree in Educational Leadership without knowing or caring what the difference is. My guess would be that "has gone" refers to a current state of a person who left sometime in the past. "Had gone" would, I guess, refer to the fact that a person left at a point in time in the past with no reference to the current time.

"By the time we got there, it seemed he had gone. To be sure, we asked his wife. She replied, 'He has gone and I don't know when he will return.'"

Why are its/it's and your/you're and there/their/they're almost always mixed up and misused in emails, on websites, and even in edited publications?
    Why is it that you sometimes make grammatical errors in your posts? It's because people are imperfect. You're capable of making making mistakes like everyone else. That's why we should regularly refer to The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. Its contents are very useful.

Multi cultural in fact, basic fact 1, 2, many, much
    Nah. Math is universal. 3 x 2 = 6 everywhere in the world. Well perhaps with the exception of the democrat party, but otherwise it is universal.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2021, 05:54 PM
    To jlisenbe
    You just can't be civil, can you. I'm done with you.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 06:48 PM
    Jl, pc doesnt cut it we all have different perceptions, so what is important to you I might be indifferent to , again culture here we have the culture of the fair go so are more inclined to be reasonable, unlike your martyr Trump but that doesnt stop us from seeing the unfairness embodied in some reports so i give you the basic philosophy for your consideration, no worries mate
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 07:14 PM
    Jl, pc doesnt cut it we all have different perceptions, so what is important to you I might be indifferent to , again culture here we have the culture of the fair go so are more inclined to be reasonable, unlike your martyr Trump but that doesnt stop us from seeing the unfairness embodied in some reports so i give you the basic philosophy for your consideration, no worries mate.
    I think I can agree with that. My question just involved you leaving out math, but I figured it was just an oversight anyway. Not a big deal.

You just can't be civil, can you
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but coming from someone who once that it was just hilarious to post a picture of cow manure (or whatever the source animal was) in what I guess you thought was a hilarious support of a suggestion concerning a person having their head up Trump's rear end, it just doesn't carry much weight. I consider that you set a very low standard on that day which makes you an unreliable judge of such matters.

I'm done with you.
    Unfortunate, but your choice. Probably for the best, and I do wish you well.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2021, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Yes they were not a response to your college comments .They were in response to WG's #7 about remote learning .

I agree that on line learning is very viable at the college level . I know someone who completed their masters degree on line . If I were going to college I would probably opt for that myself. A lot of money is wasted in tuition costs on the college environment like sculptured land scaping ,student centers ,and climbing walls on gymnasiums .
    I don't think the importance of environment and balanced activities should be discounted or dismissed as part of a student experience on any educational level. The social interactions are as crucial to development as the scholastic. We can debate the budgetary considerations but the unique individual needs should be assessed and addressed. At least I think an awareness and balanced approach helps all students and not just exceptional ones.

To tal #6 I say who is more critical for getting vaccinated .....young and healthy teachers with no preconditions ..... or the elderly who's life is threatened when they get covid ? The Chi-town teachers want to cut in line . If the teachers use the same recommended procedures as the general population then they are no more at risk by being in schools as opposed to every other American who has been deemed essential . Or are their services not essential ?
    Even hard and fast rules need adjustments as more data is being presented and no doubt we already have seen the inequity and higher numbers in minority communities than less diverse ones that have been disturbing for a long time even pre covid. I don't think that taking a hard line does anyone any good especially not the students everybody claims to be so concerned about when many of the very categories of priority may well indeed overlap justifying some teachers being up graded in those vaccination lines.

Fact is those teachers in higher risk schools of Chicago with other high risk factors and conditions cannot just be lumped into a general broader conversation because their needs are different and in many cases more critical.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2021, 09:27 AM
    Fact is those teachers in higher risk schools of Chicago with other high risk factors and conditions cannot just be lumped into a general broader conversation because their needs are different and in many cases more critical.
    If the individual teachers fall in the risk groups then of course they deserve the same priority as any other person in high risk groups being prioritized now . But most of them aren't .More than 2/3 in fact are not .
    Expert

Feb 8, 2021, 09:50 AM
    It would seem to me though after all this time what's the all fired hurry with these artificial deadlines? The Chicago School system is HUGE. Get it done sure enough but get it right. All the other stuff is politically motivated hype and handwringing...on both sides.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2021, 10:43 AM
    The teacher's unions are recalcitrant .Other essential workers, both unionized and non-unionized, accepted the risks of working outside their homes a long time ago . It's been 11 months. Lots of people , including teachers at some public and most private schools ,have gone back to work. They have run out of excuses .
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2021, 10:45 AM
    If the individual teachers fall in the risk groups then of course they deserve the same priority as any other person in high risk groups being prioritized now . But most of them aren't .More than 2/3 in fact are not .
    Walmart workers are at work. Many restaurants still remain open. Liquor store workers even go to work. So I don't see why a 34 year old teacher can't go. But the simple answer is to tell them, "No work, no pay," or at least let distance learning be paid at a lower rate. I imagine they'd see the light fairly quickly then. The sad reality is that the group for which schools exist is the group that is getting hurt the most, and that is the students.

I was always deliriously happy that I never had to deal with a teachers' union, either as a parent, a teacher or a principal.
    Expert

Feb 9, 2021, 05:20 AM
    The teacher's unions are recalcitrant .Other essential workers, both unionized and non-unionized, accepted the risks of working outside their homes a long time ago . It's been 11 months. Lots of people , including teachers at some public and most private schools ,have gone back to work. They have run out of excuses .
    You obviously have read little about the issues Chicago is attempting to bridge so maybe I overlook your lack of facts and biases concerning this rather large cash strapped metropolis concerning it's schools because fact is as much as Chi town has done there is more to do for the safety of those teachers that aren't 34 years old and healthy with no issues.

The essentials label is an arbitrary one at best and amazing that the right is now so concerned with inner city kids when they sure weren't before.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2021, 05:45 AM
    You obviously have read little about the issues Chicago is attempting to bridge so maybe I overlook your lack of facts and biases concerning this rather large cash strapped metropolis concerning it's schools because fact is as much as Chi town has done there is more to do for the safety of those teachers that aren't 34 years old and healthy with no issues.
    I am tired of this claim that I speak with no facts to back me up . Maybe Mayor Lightfoot lacks those facts too ?
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2021, 05:54 AM
    Tom's posts are more fact-based than anyone on here. I think it's funny that Chicago is a "cash strapped metropolis", but there is "more to do" in the way of spending money for safety. That's just typical lib thinking. "Budget not balanced? Great! Let's spend more money."
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2021, 06:20 AM
    Only 6,000 jobs added in January. Thank you, Joe Biden. The dems are clueless as to how to encourage a healthy economy, but at least they're good at destroying high paying pipeline jobs and impeaching a president who is not even in office. Reassuring.
    Expert

Feb 9, 2021, 11:57 AM
    I am tired of this claim that I speak with no facts to back me up . Maybe Mayor Lightfoot lacks those facts too ?
    Chicago Public Schools, Teachers Union Reach Tentative Agreement to Reopen, Mayor Says (yahoo.com)

The process continues as well it should.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2021, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Only 6,000 jobs added in January. Thank you, Joe Biden. The dems are clueless as to how to encourage a healthy economy, but at least they're good at destroying high paying pipeline jobs and impeaching a president who is not even in office. Reassuring.
    now you know they have to be beholding to their funders, Canadian oil will continue on the less save route making Buffett money and there will be more jobs lost in the energy sector, autos will have stringent standards applied and Tesla will boom along with bitcoin. No need for real jobs just sit on your duff and mine bitcoin
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2021, 05:01 PM
    Now our idiot pres has decided that schools reopening means smaller numbers in the classrooms (where do the others go?) and reworked ventilation systems. In the meantime, in the world of reality, a study comes out of North Carolina where 90,000 students/teachers were followed. They found the grand total of 32 Covid cases. So much for the grand claims of liberal dems in "following the science".

"...they found about 30 times fewer school-related cases than anticipated."

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...wing-the-3-ws/
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2021, 05:11 PM
    be thankful for small mercies
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2021, 04:01 AM
    Why is there even negotiations ? Get your a$$ back to work or get fired . The mayor had done all they asked . The fact that they keep moving the goal post means that they are not serious about negotiations .
    Well now the pressure is on them because even Quid is balking ....and no one sucks up to unions more than he .
    Expert

Feb 10, 2021, 07:16 PM
    Negotiations are how compromise is reached. This is still America not Russia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gordon lightfoot [ 10 Answers ]

I want to dress like gordon lightfoot for halloween - no idea how though. How do I?

Town of creepy people who all seem to have a secret. Stranger comes into town. [ 2 Answers ]

What was that movie called where the man goes into a town and it's filled with evil people who all seem to have a secret and who are not going to let him leave alive. I can't remember if they're cannibals and plan on eating him. It might have been a TV movie. I think it was from the late 70s or...

Mother left child in care of parents and father is out of town of town working [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has custody of the child and father has joint custody of the child .Mother has left child with her parents for four days now. Her father(grandparent ) just contacted the father to let him know that she has not returned home and is recorded to have a drug problem in the past which was...

If you were a mayor for the day what will you do? [ 2 Answers ]

Okkk... well, I need to wright about "if you would be a mayor for the day what will you do?" All I know is that I will lower gas prices... Also I would help cleaning the environment... Also I would have more highways and acces roads... ... ..

View more questions Search