Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 01:18 PM
    And on that absurd note of desperation by you, we can conclude this silliness.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    And on that absurd note of desperation by you, we can conclude this silliness.
    But that's what you're thinking. I know how you guys are.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 01:29 PM
    And now you know what someone is thinking. Golly-gee whiz.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 01:32 PM
    Hey, I've been married to a man for 56 years! I know stuff, lots of stuff!
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 02:37 PM
    How is the hubster doing? I know he went through a rough patch a while back.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Mar 6, 2023, 04:23 PM
    we should never have child-like understanding.
    This might have something to do with what "you're" talking about...this being your [sole] point of view, on what is (Scripture) being conveyed.
    It's very important that we learn to read our thoughts as a result of knowing our Bibles, not learning from our Bibles as a result of what we have read in our thoughts
    Do you see what you have done? "we should never have child-like understanding." And again; "All other books are subject to the truth of the Bible."What other books?
    The Bible is not like "any other book
    The Bible is not like any other blood because It is not just a book, it is a life. it takes on a life of its own.

One thing we are missing; Our God and Father, we pray for your help, as we [should] routinely because we actually believe ourselves to be tremendously in need of it both to be able to speak and to listen, certainly to understand, to obey your Word, to live in the light of its truth. And so, beyond the voice of a mere man, may we hear from you, the living God, for it is to you alone we listen and in the name of your Son we pray. Amen. I don't know where TV players or text prayers end up...My understanding is not important...Simply having the belief in prayer, is good enough for me.

Never [to] have a child-like understanding - does not a child of God make...it sure makes a fine teacher...I mean look at the Pharisees. The "Bible" is not your life, it is not your thoughts.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 04:57 PM
    Do you see what you have done? "we should never have child-like understanding." And again; "All other books are subject to the truth of the Bible."What other books?
    All other books would mean...all other books.

I agree completely with your prayer.

If you have the understanding of a six year old (child), then you are in trouble. Our trust is to be childlike, but to suggest that our understanding of God and the truth of the Bible is to be on the level of what a child can understand is completely unbiblical. Any reading of Hebrews or Romans can illustrate that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 05:26 PM
    All God wants from us is to love one another, to love and take care of even the unlovable.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 05:55 PM
    You are wrong. Read Hebrews 11:6, and then read Romans 3.

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, for those who come to Him must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 07:29 PM
    You're hung up on the Law.

Faith begets love. Love one another.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2023, 08:44 PM
    I didn't realize Hebrews 11 was in the Old Testament ("the Law"). Likewise Romans 3. They're as plain as can be.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 08:46 PM
    I didn't realize Hebrews 11 was in the Old Testament ("the Law"). Likewise Romans 3. They're as plain as can be.
    Well stated.

We are certainly called to love one another, and loving those in the most need is great, but to say that it's all God wants from us does not align with the Bible. And to suggest that faith amounts to being hung up on the law is kind of wild.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 09:00 PM
    DW, in your view, what constitutes the "heart" in NT teaching? When Proverbs tells us to "guard your heart", what does "heart" mean there? I'm in the process of reading Witness Nee's description of the heart, but he can get so wordy and technical that I get lost in the weeds.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    JL's presentation is full of legalese and very off-putting.

Show, don't tell.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 09:04 PM
    Read Hebrews 11:6, and then read Romans 3.

"Without faith it is impossible to please God, for those who come to Him must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
    How is that "full of legalese" and "off-putting"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 09:05 PM
    JL's presentation is full of legalese and very off-putting.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 09:07 PM
    I haven't made a "presentation" that I know of. Still, what amounts to "legalese" and is "off-putting"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 09:08 PM
    I haven't made a "presentation" that I know of. Still, what amounts to "legalese" and is "off-putting"?
    Orders. You're full of orders. No wiggle room allowed.
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2023, 09:16 PM
    I don't think God has any wiggle room. At the risk of being accused of being legalistic, I would remind you of what Jesus said. “Go in by the narrow gate. For the wide gate has a broad road which leads to disaster and there are many people going that way. The narrow gate and the hard road lead out into life and only a few are finding it.” God's way is a good way. I became a Christian more than 45 years ago and have never considered turning aside from it, but it has required me to make to some hard decisions. God does not give us multiple options to come to him. Jesus said, "No one comes to the Father but by me."

Another question for DW. Which Bible translations do you prefer?

And in case you missed this one, "DW, in your view, what constitutes the "heart" in NT teaching? When Proverbs tells us to "guard your heart", what does "heart" mean there? I'm in the process of reading Witness Nee's description of the heart, but he can get so wordy and technical that I get lost in the weeds."

I'm preaching on the heart Sunday and am not super clear on how to describe it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2023, 10:01 PM
    I don't think God has any wiggle room.
    Oh, that's right. Only 683 people are going to heaven. No Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Satan and his best friend? [ 2 Answers ]

I was hanging out on the sidewalk of a semi-crowded city street with four friends, just outside of Bearnos. Sitting at a table within the outdoors eatery was a HUGE (I'm talking tall for a Great Dane) slender black dog with a very sleek, shiny coat. It had red eyes with no irises or pupils- just...

Is it possible for satan to ever repent? [ 29 Answers ]

HI, In my 30 yrs. Of being a Christian I have only heard two people make a comment on the possibility of satan repenting. This troubles me to think that some Christians would ever entertain the thought. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with someone that is obviously confused about...

Satan [ 6 Answers ]

When God created angels I understand that Lucifer (Satan) had a different name. Does anyone know that name?

View more questions Search