Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolf0994 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
    Extremely low cold water to washing machine.
    Hello,

I am fairly new to the well/septic tank lifestyle. And I have 3 separate questions

#1 My wife and I purchased a 7 year old home and we found out that our cold water feed to the washing machine has pitiful water pressure. I mean literally takes 20 minutes to fill it up. The hot is fine. I am not sure why this occurs since no other cold inlets in the house are that way. I am assuming that there could be a build up of scale/mineral deposits inside the piping running to my washer, but I would think other lines in the house would be the same way.

#2 My water pressure isn't generally all that great anyway so I read a few other posts about pressure tanks and such. I have a pressure tank that sits at around 48 PSI. And a water softener that has a sediment filter placed before the softener then a carbon filter for after the softener but I can't put a carbon filter in and have any decent water pressure. Even with just the sediment filter in use my upstairs shower pressure starts mediocre then decreases to still usable but less than desirable after about 1-2 minutes. I am reading these posts at work so I cannot see what my tank does with water on and such from here but I am wondering how I can boost the pressure so that I can use both filters. When I first moved in the previous owners had the softener bypassed and every faucet, tub, dishwasher in the house was orange. This was my first house so I had no idea that it was even bypassed for almost a year. With the softener back in use and at least the sediment filter on, I no longer get orangeness but it still smells a little. But my pressure is just not what I would like it to be.

#3 How does one check the GPM flow rate of your well? My house supposedly passed our areas 3 GPM minimum required flow test.

I would like to be able to use the carbon filter and I would really like my cold water to work better at my washer. Any suggestions of what a novice can check to help cut some fees that a plumber will charge to check out the system.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Disconnect the hoses at the washer and turn them on into a bucket to verify you have pressure at the valves. Check screens on the hoses.
    wolf0994 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Actually I had already tried that when we first moved in. I thought maybe I had a clogged hose but it is the spicket itself that has low pressure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Are you quite certain that the hose bib hasn't mineral build up at the seat? Have you shut off the water to the house and removed the hose bib, checked and cleared the seat and then turned the water back on to check the volume and pressure coming out of the open pipe? If not give it a shot and let me know. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine cold water intake [ 3 Answers ]

I have a build up of a metallic susbtance at the cold water intake trap that goes into the washing machine. I remove the hose, clean out the substance with q-tips, replace the hose and wait for the build up to appear again. I have replaced the hoses to the washing machine, have no build up at any...

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

No water to both sinks / very low cold water pressure to bath and washer [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen and bathroom sink have no water, period. Hot water seems to be pretty good to the bath and washer but cold water to those 2 locations are very weak. The outside faucet is very weak at best. I have had this problem for quite some time so it's not the fact that they are frozen. I just...

Washing machine - low hot water pressure. [ 4 Answers ]

First of all - Hi every one. I have a hotpoint washer which reports an error after 15 minutes. E11 check water supply. I have looked into this error and it means there is no (not enough) hot water after 15 minutes. I do not know if it is coincidental but I fitted a (replacement) new shower...

Cold water not coming out in washing machine [ 5 Answers ]

The cold water dribbles into the washing machine when loading; I checked hose connecting machine to faucet in back. The screens were dirty; every time I do load the screens get dirty again. Is stuff coming out of the faucet? It seems to me. What does that mean? The hot water faucet is fine. My...

View more questions Search