Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 04:34 AM
    Read this statement by Charles Darwin last night. I suppose the mobs will begin pulling his statues down and removing all references to him from our textbooks. "According to the laws of natural selection, the European race will emerge as the distinct species homo sapiens, and all the transitional forms - the gorilla, the chimpanzee, the Negro, and the Australian Aborigine - will be extinguished in the struggle."
    Hard to imagine a more racist perspective than that one. If we plan on pulling down statues of Grant, Jefferson, and Washington, then what on earth should be done with Darwin?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 05:39 AM
    It ain't easy correcting the record for accuracy is it? Maybe we should have done that before we tagged them with the hero label and stuck their images on pedestals, and immortalized them by naming stuff after them.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 06:01 AM
    I still say we have to pull down every reference of Margaret Sanger ;including organizations and institutions she started :

The object of civilization is to obtain the highest and most splendid culture of which humanity is capable. But such attainment is unthinkable if we continue to breed from the present race stock that yields us our largest amount of progeny. Some method must be devised to eliminate the degenerate and the defective; for these act constantly to impede progress and ever increasingly drag down the human race. This is especially the case in the nations which have reached the highest degree of civilization, for it is just in these nations that the degenerate and defective are enabled to produce the largest number of progeny.(A Better Race Through Birth Control By Margaret Sanger)

“The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to get out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.”
    (Margaret Sanger commenting on the 'Negro Project' in a letter to Gamble, Dec. 10, 1939).

"While I personally believe in the sterilization of the feeble-minded, the insane and syphilitic, I have not been able to discover that these measures are more than superficial deterrents when applied to the constantly growing stream of the unfit. They are excellent means of meeting a certain phase of the situation, but I believe in regard to these, as in regard to other eugenic means, that they do not go to the bottom of the matter." ("Birth Control and Racial Betterment," Feb. 1919, The Birth Control Review).

[The government should] “give certain dysgenic groups in our population their choice of segregation or sterilization.”
    (Sanger “A Plan for Peace” (1932))

“Eugenics is the most adequate and thorough avenue to the solution of racial, political and social problems.” (
    Margaret Sanger, April 1933 Birth Control Review. )
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 07:00 AM
    I think we do well to be aware of folks that think like this, and keep our guard up and stay vigilant to others that believe in such arbitrary controls. I can see science advancing and giving us better options for human health and well being but for now I can live with patients and doctors having the choice of choosing their options.

I just ain't for burning books just yet Tom, guess I've seen to many horror movies of that type of society. Right now we seem to stuck on truth in history and the statues that it spawned. Personally I would watch all the actions we take especially from the loony extremist fringes on both sides. That is how we got a lot of those statues in the first place.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 08:13 AM
    I just ain't for burning books just yet Tom,
    just toppling statues ?
    Erasing history and banning thought is what totalitarians do
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 09:10 AM
    I go back to my accuracy comments from before. I always thought there was a lawful orderly process to address some of this stuff. Everything seems so emotionally driven all of a sudden.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 09:15 AM
    I go back to my accuracy comments from before. I always thought there was a lawful orderly process to address some of this stuff. Everything seems so emotionally driven all of a sudden.
    yup a town board voting to remove a monument as opposed to mob rule . Or I heard another one yesterday that stuck with me . Rising civilizations build monuments ;declining ones tear their monuments down.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 09:16 AM
    I just ain't for burning books just yet Tom,
    Are we supposed to be happy that you haven't yet decided that we need to burn books?
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Are we supposed to be happy that you haven't yet decided that we need to burn books?
    Why would I even care that a right wing sourpuss with a bad memory is happy or not about anything, let alone my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    yup a town board voting to remove a monument as opposed to mob rule . Or I heard another one yesterday that stuck with me . Rising civilizations build monuments ;declining ones tear their monuments down.
    I can see us declining, or at least leaning way over in the wrong direction.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 09:24 AM
    a right wing sourpuss with a bad memory
    So you're a right winger now? Well that's a surprise.
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 09:33 AM
    I don't identify as one, but recognize them when I see, or hear them.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 09:50 AM
    now the anarchist nihilist mob is tearing down statues of abolitionist heroes who died trying to end slavery .
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ow/3248692001/
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 09:56 AM
    Can't tell a loony from a criminal, from a reasonable lawful citizen anymore.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 10:05 AM
    Can't tell a loony from a criminal, from a reasonable lawful citizen anymore.
    The reasonable lawful citizens are the ones NOT tearing down statues, not cursing and spitting at cops, and NOT burning stores. They might be peacefully protesting, but that's as far as they take it.
    Expert

Jun 24, 2020, 10:52 AM
    We agree on something finally.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 11:11 AM
    Happy days are here again!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 01:03 PM
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 01:46 PM
    Read this statement by Charles Darwin last night. I suppose the mobs will begin pulling his statues down and removing all references to him from our textbooks. "According to the laws of natural selection, the European race will emerge as the distinct species homo sapiens, and all the transitional forms - the gorilla, the chimpanzee, the Negro, and the Australian Aborigine - will be extinguished in the struggle."
    Hard to imagine a more racist perspective than that one. If we plan on pulling down statues of Grant, Jefferson, and Washington, then what on earth should be done with Darwin?
    A clear confirmation that you are a racist. You tried to hide it by couching the Darwin comment as a "racist perspective", but we know better, don't we?

You just happened to be reading Darwin last night, and you just happened to see the quote, and you just decided to show the quote in its lurid detail without omitting a word. Do you think anyone believes you?
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2020, 02:40 PM
    A clear confirmation that you are a racist. You tried to hide it by couching the Darwin comment as a "racist perspective", but we know better, don't we?
    Now that's real intelligence at work. Darwin said something, so I'm a racist. Have you always been this confused?

You just happened to be reading Darwin last night, and you just happened to see the quote, and you just decided to show the quote in its lurid detail without omitting a word. Do you think anyone believes you?
    Yeah. I was reading last night. You ought to try it sometimes. And yeah, when I read, I see material. Isn't that amazing!! I was not reading one of Darwin's works. I was reading Reflections on the Existence of God. The author had that quote by Darwin, so I posted it here. Stop wetting your pants every time someone takes a breath. It is possible to simply make a rational, logical objection that can be responded to. Give it a shot.

It's like I said earlier. Discussing something with you is like talking to a four year old. "Oh! You quoted Darwin, so you're a racist. And we don't believe that you posted a quote by Darwin! We think you made it all up!! Oh! Oh!"

Good grief. Calm down.

Here it is in context. "At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes [that is, the ones which look most like the savages in structure] ... will no doubt be exterminated. The break will then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope ... the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla."

Whatever antagonism Darwin had against slavery — which was indeed considerable, given his dissenter upbringing — these too are his words. Whatever grandiose statements he made on behalf of the beauty of moral sympathy, these too are his words. And these words could not be more clear. "According to the laws of natural selection, the European race will emerge as the distinct species homo sapiens, and all the transitional forms — the gorilla, the chimpanzee, the Negro, and the Australian Aborigine — will be extinguished in the struggle."

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en...es-darwin.html

And from the author I was reading. https://richardesimmons3.com/why-do-...ue-human-life/
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2020, 05:29 PM
    Here it is in context. "At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes [that is, the ones which look most like the savages in structure] ... will no doubt be exterminated. The break will then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope ... the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla."

Whatever antagonism Darwin had against slavery — which was indeed considerable, given his dissenter upbringing — these too are his words. Whatever grandiose statements he made on behalf of the beauty of moral sympathy, these too are his words. And these words could not be more clear. "According to the laws of natural selection, the European race will emerge as the distinct species homo sapiens, and all the transitional forms — the gorilla, the chimpanzee, the Negro, and the Australian Aborigine — will be extinguished in the struggle."
    Repeating the quote doesn't absolve you from your race beliefs - just gives you another chance to promote your evil. The tactic is transparent, easy to see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

21st century slavery [ 8 Answers ]

Can a employer not give raise to the felon he has working but give them to everyone else? Can they take benefits away from felon but no one else? Can he not pay a felon for ANY OVERTIME he works just because he is a felon?

How to mix 21st century milk replacer for puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 week old smooth haired chihuahua at around 16 oz in weight measured in a cup on a sm. Weigher , what would b the proper mix? The cup got zroed in and measured in ozs.

Abbott and Costello in the 21st Century [ 5 Answers ]

Abbot and Costello in the 21st Century COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you? COSTELLO: Thanks I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer. ABBOTT: Mac? COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou. ABBOTT: Your...

Home Security for the 21st Century [ 9 Answers ]

I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable? Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system? If you ignore...

21st Century Tithing. [ 23 Answers ]

Would you tithe: 1. More 2. Less 3. The Same 4. Be Highly Offended 5. I don't tithe at all. IF your place of worship accepted Debit and Credit Cards????

View more questions Search