Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2020, 05:15 AM
    [Looks like the dufus will have to fire him personally to protect his henchmen from going to jail
    . sorta like il duce Cuomo ending the 'Moreland Commission on Public Corruption 'when it got too close to him and his gumbas ? I don't know what Berman has on other Trump associates .It would not surprise me since NY real estate is such a dirty business. But his probe about Rudy is a fishing expedition .
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2020, 05:53 AM
    There are some who have predicted how the coup part deux would like like .....open defiance of Trump administration orders, not by state officials, but by federal bureaucrats in blue states.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2020, 07:22 AM
    Meanwhile more on the liberal intolerance front The Duluth Minnesota school district is doing the book banning thingy this week . Banned from their curriculum are Mark Twain's 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn ' and Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird ' .

Both books do contain racial slurs that were added to the text to depict the language of the period and the attitudes accurately .Quite the contrary to the reason behind the ban; neither book is racist and are widely considered to be anti-racist by people with normal reading comprehension .Huck Finn is set in anti-bellum south and is clearly anti-slavery .Mockingbird depicting racial injustice in Alabama during Jim Crow days .

I can possibly understand the confusion for people who are not students of American Literature .But educators showing such ignorance about the content of books they are banning is very disturbing . Are educators in the vanguard of this American culture purge ?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    . sorta like il duce Cuomo ending the 'Moreland Commission on Public Corruption 'when it got too close to him and his gumbas ? I don't know what Berman has on other Trump associates .It would not surprise me since NY real estate is such a dirty business. But his probe about Rudy is a fishing expedition .
    Can't say if Rudy is dirty or not, or anything about Cuomo and ending an investigation, but the dufus mouthpiece lying about Berman stepping down is highly suspicious. Rudy is a nutcase lately and has ties to some nefarious dudes.

There are some who have predicted how the coup part deux would like like .....open defiance of Trump administration orders, not by state officials, but by federal bureaucrats in blue states.
    I'm just glad someone is standing up to the dufus and his bully boys!

Meanwhile more on the liberal intolerance front The Duluth Minnesota school district is doing the book banning thingy this week . Banned from their curriculum are Mark Twain's 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn ' and Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird ' .

Both books do contain racial slurs that were added to the text to depict the language of the period and the attitudes accurately .Quite the contrary to the reason behind the ban; neither book is racist and are widely considered to be anti-racist by people with normal reading comprehension .Huck Finn is set in anti-bellum south and is clearly anti-slavery .Mockingbird depicting racial injustice in Alabama during Jim Crow days .

I can possibly understand the confusion for people who are not students of American Literature .But educators showing such ignorance about the content of books they are banning is very disturbing . Are educators in the vanguard of this American culture purge ?
    My reading of this is though they removed the books from the school curriculum, they remain available in the school library, so the change was removing them from a required reading lists. Make sense Tom?
    Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 10:08 AM
    Not content with the destruction of reminders of the CSA ,the American Jacobin ,Taliban is out to purge any reminders of the American founding ,and indeed the European migration to the Western hemisphere ;both of which they find illegitimate . The last couple of days we have seen the toppling of a statue of George Washington ;of Ulysses S Grant ,the very general that defeated the CSA . They toppled a statue of Junipero Serra ,who established the first Spanish mission in California . They toppled a statue of Francis Scott Key .

Chirlane McCray 1st lady of NYC and wife of Mayor Sandinista Bill; heading a new “Commission on Racial Justice and Reconciliation” ,will decide the fate of statues of Washington and Jefferson .Her authority to make these decisions will be expansive . She supposedly has Robert Moses in her cross hairs ,the man who designed and built much of the infrastructure of NYC and the state .

Names will be changed be it military forts named after Confederate Generals or sports teams like the Texas Rangers ,named after evidently a racist group of Texas vigilantes masquerading as law enforcement officers .

What you won't find toppled or disturbed in any way is this Seattle statue of Vladimir Lenin.
    Never heard of some of the folks on the hit list, but I can see some unsavory characters got statutes of themselves.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.3464427
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2020, 10:37 AM
    I think the FDR Memorial in the National Mall should be taken down. After all he was the architect of EO 9066 which authorized the transport and internment of 120,000 Japanese Americans into concentration camps
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 10:49 AM
    Now even Facebook, that bastion of conservative thought (sarcasm meter pegged) is under attack for supposedly amplifying, "...white supremacists, allows posts that incite violence and contain political propaganda and misinformation, and doesn’t stop 'bad actors using the platform to do harm.'"

The article also says, "The announcement came after groups in the “#StopHateforProfit” campaign, launched Wednesday, including Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP, Sleeping Giants, Color Of Change, Free Press and Common Sense, called on large advertisers to cut ties with Facebook."

It goes on to say, "...that Facebook and its CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, are no longer simply negligent, but in fact, complacent in the spread of misinformation, despite the irreversible damage to our democracy. Such actions will upend the integrity of our elections as we head into 2020," NAACP CEO Derrick Johnson said in a statement."

Read between the lines. Conservative thought must be done away with at all costs. Zuckerberg, one of the major elite liberals in the country, is now learning that the extreme left has no problems with devouring its own.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...g-ads-facebook
    Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I think it is. I think you couldn't care less, and I say that because you never bring it up. You might respond if someone else refers to it, but it never originates with you. But hey, tell me that I'm wrong. Tell me that you're greatly concerned about it. I'd be happy to know that.
    Maybe you need a hundred thousand people in the streets to show how much you care. Blasting people who don't share your EXACT sentiments sure doesn't rally the troops to your side.

Unemployment and poverty were also big problems in 1960. They had no birth control pill and birth control was more cumbersome, and yet the out of wedlock birth rate was about 1/10 of what it is now. Your argument is not sensible. To blame it on poverty and unemployment ignores history. By that approach, out of wedlock births would have EXPLODED during the Great Depression. That did not happen, so how do you explain that? The truth is, you have it backwards. Out of wedlock births lead to poverty, not the other way around.
    See what I mean! Regardless to address your question see what you think of this article.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/a...united-states/

The great change has had nothing to do with poverty or unemployment. Social beliefs have changed. It used to be scandalous to be pregnant out of wedlock. Now it's celebrated and supported by federal subsidies. Families used to be a great deal more intact than they are now. We used to honor the teachings of the Bible. Now they are ridiculed. Marriage used to be held as valuable. Now it's just another institution waiting to be destroyed by the left. Men used to be responsible. Now the world is just there for our enjoyment and that includes women. There used to be some mystery about sex. Now it's just another activity in life. Movies used to be pretty clean. Now they are vulgar and crude. All of those factors have contributed, but the first four are primary.
    Losing control of the social norms you found comfortable can be a traumatic life changing event. I completely understand that JL, and actually have much empathy for what you and others are going through.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 11:04 AM
    If you would even bother, for five seconds, to read your own articles, then you would have found that the final five or six paragraphs support my statement, and nothing in the article refuted any of it. Well, my first four points are indisputably true. I'll repeat them for your benefit. "It used to be scandalous to be pregnant out of wedlock. Now it's celebrated and supported by federal subsidies. Families used to be a great deal more intact than they are now. We used to honor the teachings of the Bible. Now they are ridiculed. Marriage used to be held as valuable. Now it's just another institution waiting to be destroyed by the left."

Your final comment about a "traumatic life changing event" is just absurd. This has nothing to do with me. Anyone who cares even one ounce about black America can see that out of wedlock births are a genuine and considerable burden on the welfare of that group. I guess it's just easier to post a snarky comment and go on your way doing nothing.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 11:38 AM
    I read the article TWICE and refuted none, just wanted your opinion for the sake of honest discussion, and you could have refrained from the personal blast. So yet again you highlight the differences in our approach to changing times. Regardless I repeat we ain't going back to shaming, shunning, and shot gunning, no matter if some would prefer it, or hold nostalgia for what they think was a simpler time.

Trust me it wasn't for many, specifically the ones you profess to care so much about, so recognize that a better way is sought by them. Maybe it's not instantly successful, but see it as a works in progress, because the old ways didn't work for US, and changes will be made. You didn't want to listen before, just dictate, and maybe you will never listen, but obviously you sure won't dominate or control the direction some are choosing.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 11:58 AM
    That's all fair enough. I just don't know how to respond to you. I'm ready to listen to what that better way might be, but so far as I know, in all of history there has only been one reliable way. Still, I'd love to know your thoughts. But one way or the other, this has nothing to do with me controlling social norms. It's about the real suffering of children growing up with no dad and the major disadvantages they face in life.

You might find this interesting.

Experts point to a variety of factors to explain the high U.S. figure, including a cultural shift toward greater acceptance of single-parent child rearing.

'When our parents married, there was a sense that you were marrying for life,' said Edward Zigler, founder and director of Yale's Edward Zigler Center in Child Development and Social Policy. "That sense is not as prevalent.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-parent.html
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 12:34 PM
    It's about the real suffering of children growing up with no dad and the major disadvantages they face in life.
    You do realize there's a difference between having a father and having a dad. Men can father a child and be married to the child's mother, but too many have no idea how to be a dad. Fortunate is the child who has a father who also knows how to be a dad!

That's another area that needs further instruction.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 12:49 PM
    Better to have a dad who is doing a fair job than to have no dad.

Love to know your comments on this.

"Unemployment and poverty were also big problems in 1960. They had no birth control pill and birth control was more cumbersome, and yet the out of wedlock birth rate was about 1/10 of what it is now. Your argument is not sensible. To blame it on poverty and unemployment ignores history. By that approach, out of wedlock births would have EXPLODED during the Great Depression. That did not happen, so how do you explain that? The truth is, you have it backwards. Out of wedlock births lead to poverty, not the other way around."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 01:34 PM
    Now I know you don't know the difference.
    Love to know your comments on this.

"Unemployment and poverty were also big problems in 1960. They had no birth control pill and birth control was more cumbersome, and yet the out of wedlock birth rate was about 1/10 of what it is now. Your argument is not sensible. To blame it on poverty and unemployment ignores history. By that approach, out of wedlock births would have EXPLODED during the Great Depression. That did not happen, so how do you explain that? The truth is, you have it backwards. Out of wedlock births lead to poverty, not the other way around."
    This is 2020. Get with the times! You sound like my grandfather.

Like tal said earlier in this thread:

"Regardless I repeat we ain't going back to shaming, shunning, and shot gunning, no matter if some would prefer it, or hold nostalgia for what they think was a simpler time."
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 02:03 PM
    The usual non-answer. Oh well. Poverty and unemployment cause out of wedlock births except that, of course, they don't.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2020, 02:05 PM
    Far better to have no father than to have a bad father.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 02:09 PM
    You do realize that "bad" and "fair" do not mean the same thing? In fact, not really very close.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 02:11 PM
    The usual non-answer. Oh well. Poverty and unemployment cause out of wedlock births except that, of course, they don't.
    I gave you one and repeated tal's on top of it. Sheesh!

Go into the inner city or a multicultural community and ask the residents what causes unemployment and poverty and also what causes out-of-wedlock births. Then LISTEN to what they say!
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2020, 02:20 PM
    The question was how your theory totally failed to explain why the out of wedlock birth rate was so low during the Great Depression when the situation was MUCH worse than now, or in 1960 when the situation was not as good as now. And you are really trying to say you answered that??? Really?? As you would say, "Sheesh!"

I worked in inner-city and minority schools for 17 years. I have listened to and observed much.

I sure hope you will come up with an answer.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2020, 02:31 PM
    The question was how your theory totally failed to explain why the out of wedlock birth rate was so low during the Great Depression when the situation was MUCH worse than now, or in 1960 when the situation was not as good as now. And you are really trying to say you answered that??? Really?? As you would say, "Sheesh!"

I worked in inner-city and minority schools for 17 years. I have listened to and observed much.

I sure hope you will come up with an answer.
    Get off talking about ancient times, grampa! Let's fix this in 2020!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a bigger problem than I been addressing it as? [ 3 Answers ]

I married 8 months ago at the age of 20. We met online and talked for 2 years and then married only 2 months after meeting. I So I moved from the northwest all the way to the southeast to lie with him in his family's house. We knew before we married that we shared opposing religious beliefs. His...

Bigger bra [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I wear these little crop top thingys but they're too tight and leave marks. I really think I need a padded bra or a bigger bra but I'm too afraid to talk to my mum about it. What shall I do?

How do I tell my mom I need get a bigger cup bra [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to tell my mom that I need a another bigger bra, but right before I try to tell her I freeze up and say something totally off the wall. I try to tell her and my sisters are around her all the time. Also my sisters are saying to me go get a bra that fits or they will say go put on...

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Getting fit and bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start getting bigger in muscle mass and fitter in running but I do not want to go stupid and end up looking weird and I am wondering if someone could help me, I will be in the gym at least 5 days a week 1 time a day but I do not know what exercises to do, I want to do a day on each muscle...

View more questions Search