Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    That Clete is almost always the case in these cases of cops killings . I can't speak of shared experiences . But what I was taught was to respect the police and if ever they stopped me to do what they said ;and if I thought they were wrong in any way ,to tell it to a lawyer or a judge. I got pulled over a few times when I was younger . The first thing I would do is put on my flashers ;and turn on the dome light ;and put my hands on the dash board where they were clearly visible . Then I would follow the cops directions ... if he asked for my license I would tell him it was in my pocket and asked permission to remove it . If he asked for my registration and insurance I would tell him they were in the glove compartment and I would ask permission to get them . If he told me to get out of the car I would . If he shined a flash light in my car I did not tell him he had no right to do that . If he physically searched my car I let him do it and did not demand to see a warrant . If I got a ticket I would accept it without objection. I got a ticket one time for speeding when I was not speeding.I contested it in court ;not on the street .
    Tomder, everything you say here makes eminent good sense. Nobody is denying that. The guy should not have resisted, no matter how (or even if) he was badly handled. Apparently, he was cordial, passed the tests except for the breathylyzer (.101 barely DUI), but when the process which should have lasted a few minutes lasted for over half an hour, the guy felt misused. He struck out. Bad on him. Go to jail. Do not pass go.

It's the next few minutes that has the world in an uproar. The shootercop was shot at with a non-lethal weapon. The Georgia rules (as I understand them) were not to use lethal force unless the cop's life (or bystanders' lives) were in danger. That was clearly not the case. Two bullets in the back. Homicide.

Note: the black police sergeant defended his cop's actions. If you saw the interview, it was an excellent example of a cop defending his own, even tho the sergeant is black. His defense was poor. In court, a lawyer would destroy him.

As I'm sure you know, cops often act badly in black neighborhoods. More so than in white ones.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 01:25 PM
    As I'm sure you know, cops often act badly in black neighborhoods. More so than in white ones.
    Is there data for that?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:00 PM
    The Georgia rules (as I understand them) were not to use lethal force unless the cop's life (or bystanders' lives) were in danger.
    Athos read the police policy again .... the cops life doesn't necessarily have to be in danger .

"He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others."
    http://www.djj.state.ga.us/policies/...ttachmentA.pdf

Getting zapped with 500 volts can result in serious bodily injury .
    The rules, and if he acted within the guidelines appears to be a technicality in this case . He is already prejudged . What this cop needs is a John Adams representing him. Adams represented the 8 Brit soldiers who were charged in the Boston Massacre .He took on the case because he believed that the case against the soldiers wasn't as clear cut as the people of Boston wanted him to believe they were .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 04:03 PM
    Getting zapped with 500 volts can result in serious bodily injury .
    And yet, aren't they used fairly readily by police?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:42 PM
    Athos read the police policy again .... the cops life doesn't necessarily have to be in danger .

"He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others."
    http://www.djj.state.ga.us/policies/...ttachmentA.pdf

Getting zapped with 500 volts can result in serious bodily injury

Thanks for posting that. I heard differently - my mistake.

However, I would question "...likely to result in serious bodily injury..." I think that was highly unlikely considering Brooks was running away from the cop. Under those circumstances, there was no need to shoot him.

WG brings up a good point. The use of the taser is designed NOT to result in serious bodily injury. That's the whole point with those devices.

As to his being prejudged, we'll see tomorrow what he is charged with. It's hard not to prejudge the cop since the video is there for all to see.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 05:33 PM
    WG brings up a good point. The use of the taser is designed NOT to result in serious bodily injury
    they are designed to disable . As l mentioned ;Amnesty Int estimates there have been 500 deaths from the use of tasers in the US.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 05:46 PM
    they are designed to disable .
    So why didn't another cop tase Brooks when he was only ten feet away? Why kill him?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 05:46 PM
    Let a jury decide. The deed is done and yes he is part of the process now, and a guy is dead. If it weren't for the videos though, the normal thing is stall it in red tape with a long investigation that gets it off the front page and off the news and dismissed without further ado and the cop gets his back pay. Of course expect his work record to be revealed and all the bad stuff if any Brooks ever did, but if a court of law is the only way to hold a cop accountable so be it. Makes a hard job harder, but if we end up with better cops then great.

I have to tell you though, and no knock on anyone, but a society that can allow kids to be massacred in schools and do nothing about it, is a society that can minimize anything and ignore it. That's the only way I can explain some of the things this country has gone through and put up with, and that's not a good thing at all. Seems the struggle continues. The rug we sweep stuff under has to be packed with crap by now.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 06:44 PM
    So why didn't another cop tase Brooks when he was only ten feet away? Why kill him?
    The Socratic method gets boring after a while . I made my case on the issue .

Of course expect his work record to be revealed
    I have no doubt that will be the cop's biggest weakness.

but if a court of law is the only way to hold a cop accountable so be it.
    He was fired without a hearing . What else can be done except a court if you are looking for justice ?

but a society that can allow kids to be massacred in schools and do nothing about it, is a society that can minimize anything and ignore it.
    Well that is a different topic completely a non sequitur to the discussion. I have answers to school shootings which are no doubt different than yours .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 06:45 PM
    another unnecessary death, you have to wonder do black people have a death wish? they figure very high on the offenders list
    Expert

Jun 17, 2020, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    another unnecessary death, you have to wonder do black people have a death wish? they figure very high on the offenders list
    It's always been that way. It takes an act of congress and nothing short of a war to change that. Minorities have been protesting and speaking out against the inequities, cruelty, injustices and atrocities for a century since the Civil War Clete, and all on deaf ears, excuses, and unsolicited advice (Seen here!), and gotten even more suppression, oppression, and outright dismissal.

Despite all that minorities still press forward.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2020, 07:47 AM
    It's always been that way. It takes an act of congress and nothing short of a war to change that. Minorities have been protesting and speaking out against the inequities, cruelty, injustices and atrocities for a century since the Civil War Clete, and all on deaf ears, excuses, and unsolicited advice (Seen here!), and gotten even more suppression, oppression, and outright dismissal.
    That's absolutely a load of garbage. You must have been asleep the past sixty years. The biggest challenges facing the black community now are internal, not external. It's the same old story. Given the choice between taking responsibility for our own actions and blaming someone else, most people will take the second choice since it is far, far easier.
    Expert

Jun 17, 2020, 08:03 AM
    LOL, you have proved yourself to be part of the problem by using your mouth, instead of your ears. I suppose its hard to hear with your head stuck knee deep in dufus a$$, and explains why you spew crap, but let me ask how you hold your nose?

I think speaking out is a form taking responsibility, and I'm sure you agree with that. Not saying there are not internal challenges, but every race has those since no race is an absolute monolith, but the external challenges are huge, as I and others have been saying. Its not ducking responsibility, so much as refusing the long standing cry for help.

We don't need bible advice as we have endured on FAITH thus far already, so try listening by remove your head from dufus A$$! His racist antics should not be yours. I will just note the number of white people you have liberated from the same boat black people are stuck in.

The powerlessness of poverty.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2020, 08:28 AM
    When you have no answers then you get ugly. Always predictable. Anyone who can't acknowledge the enormous changes of the past sixty years is stupid beyond belief. It's that willfully blind and whiny approach that gets old. If you're looking for someone to feel sorry for you, and that is likely, then look elsewhere. To have the amazing opportunities inherent in living in this country and then walk around whining and complaining all day long is something I do not care for.

You've been drinking the kool aid far too long.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2020, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    When you have no answers then you get ugly. Always predictable. Anyone who can't acknowledge the enormous changes of the past sixty years is stupid beyond belief. It's that willfully blind and whiny approach that gets old. If you're looking for someone to feel sorry for you, and that is likely, then look elsewhere. To have the amazing opportunities inherent in living in this country and then walk around whining and complaining all day long is something I do not care for.

You've been drinking the kool aid far too long.
    You don't handle disagreement well, do you? "...stupid beyond belief. willfuly blind, whiny approach..." So typical of you.

Who's drinking the Kool-aid now?
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2020, 09:16 AM
    You don't handle disagreement well, do you? "...stupid beyond belief. willfuly blind, whiny approach..." So typical of you.
    I can handle disagreements. I don't care for the whiny approach. "I can't respond to your statement, so I'll just make a vulgar comment." Where I live, a comment like that can get your arse whipped and rightfully so. Making those comments over the relative safety of the internet strikes me as cowardly and ignorant.

If someone chooses to ignore the great strides made in this country in racial equality over the past sixty years, then that person is indeed stupid and willfully blind. BTW, I did not say that was true of Tal. I simply said it as a general statement. He will have to decide if the shoe fits. I think he has better sense than to believe that.

Ever get around to deciding what your religious beliefs are?
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2020, 12:39 PM
    Where I live, a comment like that can get your arse whipped and rightfully so. Making those comments over the relative safety of the internet strikes me as cowardly and ignorant.
    Let me get this straight - you say that "comments over the relative safety of the internet strike you as cowardly and ignorant. Where you live, comments like that can get your arse whipped and rightfully so." Nice Christian sentiment. Do you have a verse in the Bible where Jesus commands his followers to "whip their arses"?

I had to smile at that unwitting description of yourself, a description that defines YOU to a T. But you are not admitting that, are you? No, I didn't think so.

You are threatening others from the very safety you denounce and which you yourself are hiding behind. Do you ever censor what you post so as not to appear as a complete moron? No, I didn't think so.

There is not a doubt in my mind that in real life you are a woos and afraid of your shadow. That is almost always true of people who threaten anonymously. Where I live, that would not be cause for whipping you. It would only be cause for pity.

If someone chooses to ignore the great strides made in this country in racial equality over the past sixty years, then that person is indeed stupid and willfully blind.
    When you insist on bringing this up in the face of the brutal treatment blacks have historically received at the hands of police (and racists I might add) and insist on ignoring what is currently happening as this country is trying to come to grips with people like you, then the stupidity and blindness is all yours. Own it!

BTW, I did not say that was true of Tal.
    You implied it, of course. But tal needs no defense from me. He is quite capable of handling folks like you, as we have seen over and over.

Ever get around to deciding what your religious beliefs are?
    Wow - talk about a non-sequitur! My religious beliefs have developed over my lifetime. Something you would do well to consider so you can get off that spot you've been stuck on since childhood.

In any case, my religious beliefs are none of your business. If I thought for a minute your question was honest, I'd be only too happy to discuss my beliefs with you or anyone. Since I know your question, like others you have asked, is designed only to find fault and criticize whatever doesn't coincide with your beliefs, the better part of wisdom is to decline your villainous invitation.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2020, 12:55 PM
    My religious beliefs have developed over my lifetime
    That made me laugh. "My religious beliefs are none of your business." Fine with me. I knew you wouldn't do it. Easier to criticize from the dark. To post your own beliefs would require some backbone.

You were wrong about me making a threat. I threatened no one. Just made a very accurate observation. The rest of your post was just more of the usual blah, blah, blah.

As for the achievements of the civil rights movement, to ignore and make light of the gains achieved at the price of the blood of brave individuals might be fine for you, but I still consider it to be both stupid and intentional blindness, so I won't participate in that. The Voting Rights Act was never passed. The Civil Rights Act was never passed. Martin Luther King never lived. Ten of thousands of minority individuals were never elected to public office. Have it your way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2020, 12:59 PM
    That made me laugh. "My religious beliefs are none of your business." Fine with me. I knew you wouldn't do it. Easier to criticize from the dark. To post your own beliefs would require some backbone.
    If he told you, then you would do what? (I can already smell your answer.)
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2020, 01:16 PM
    Probably nothing. I just think that anyone so quick to heavily criticize the religious beliefs of others, and not to mention him being one who jumps up and down in sheer anger when someone else does not answer his question as quickly as he thinks that person should, might want to have the courage to post his own beliefs, But it's fine with me. Like I said, I figured he wouldn't do it, and he's right in saying that it's none of my business. I'm good with it. It's kind of like why you disagree with abortion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a bigger problem than I been addressing it as? [ 3 Answers ]

I married 8 months ago at the age of 20. We met online and talked for 2 years and then married only 2 months after meeting. I So I moved from the northwest all the way to the southeast to lie with him in his family's house. We knew before we married that we shared opposing religious beliefs. His...

Bigger bra [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I wear these little crop top thingys but they're too tight and leave marks. I really think I need a padded bra or a bigger bra but I'm too afraid to talk to my mum about it. What shall I do?

How do I tell my mom I need get a bigger cup bra [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to tell my mom that I need a another bigger bra, but right before I try to tell her I freeze up and say something totally off the wall. I try to tell her and my sisters are around her all the time. Also my sisters are saying to me go get a bra that fits or they will say go put on...

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Getting fit and bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start getting bigger in muscle mass and fitter in running but I do not want to go stupid and end up looking weird and I am wondering if someone could help me, I will be in the gym at least 5 days a week 1 time a day but I do not know what exercises to do, I want to do a day on each muscle...

View more questions Search