Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2020, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    NY Times op-ed clears up 'Defund the police' confusion: 'Yes, we mean literally abolish the police'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ny-tim...ish-the-police
    One voice in that piece:

"Anti-criminalization activist Mariame Kaba attempted to settle the debate with the op-ed, "Yes, we mean literally abolish the police ... The only way to diminish police violence is to reduce contact between the public and the police."

I disagree. Better vetting, psychological testing, and training would go a long way to solve the problem.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2020, 02:43 PM
    Better vetting, psychological testing, and training would go a long way to solve the problem.
    That might be, and I think it's a valid enough point, but my understanding is that many PD's around the country are having trouble just finding even fairly good candidates. Numbers are a problem, and all of this anti-police rhetoric will not make it any better.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2020, 03:17 PM
    They are using a mis-understood word. By "defunding" is meant defunding non-police activities and put them to mental health workers or social workers. One has actually promoted dismantling the police and starting over. She is a victim of her enthusiasm.
    ask All Out Crazy if she thinks she is being misunderstood when she talks about defunding . Ask the protesters at CHAZistan what they mean by defunding . WE in NY went through this crap in the 70s . NYC was unlivable .

The way I see it ,the elected officials are embracing this because they know that they are going to be on shoe string budgets for a long time . Sandinista Bill wants to cut a billion dollars from the police budget . What he isn't telling you is that besides the lining of his wife's pockets ,that money is not going to shift to so called social services .

I disagree. Better vetting, psychological testing, and training would go a long way to solve the problem.
    aint going to happen . All these municipalities police forces have the same public unions that keep predator teachers in rubber rooms for decades rather than getting rid of them .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2020, 03:18 PM
    That might be, and I think it's a valid enough point, but my understanding is that many PD's around the country are having trouble just finding even fairly good candidates. Numbers are a problem, and all of this anti-police rhetoric will not make it any better.
    Then PR also needs to be improved (especially with visits to and encouragement of high school and college students) with more hiring of PoC and women.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2020, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    ask All Out Crazy if she thinks she is being misunderstood when she talks about defunding
    AOC is a young woman who is very bright and very dedicated. In her early 30s I look for her to mature over the years - years in which she is almost guaranteed to be re-elected considering her constituency (my 'hood growing up).

An effective fund raiser, she has excellent leadership qualities which is a commodity sorely needed in Congress.

The way I see it
    We all see it the way we see it. Time will tell.

All these municipalities police forces have the same public unions that keep predator teachers in rubber rooms for decades rather than getting rid of them .
    Not all have the same, but unions have become a problem in the way some see no evil when their members are bad actors. This is especially true of the police unions. Another hurdle for good people to overcome. Nobody is saying it will be easy.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2020, 04:31 PM
    Not all have the same, but unions have become a problem in the way some see no evil when their members are bad actors. This is especially true of the police unions. Another hurdle for good people to overcome. Nobody is saying it will be easy.
    it is public union collective bargaining that brought us policies that purge personnel records of police misconduct. So they are the enemy of transparency .Do you think the AFL CIO will drop them ? Nah they will defend them.

That leads to the question .... will the Democrats that are the big beneficiary of public unions largess demand these reforms . doubtful .Lip service and deflection is all you will see of this reform movement once the protests peter down and they can deflect blame on Trump.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2020, 04:56 PM
    That leads to the question .... will the Democrats that are the big beneficiary of public unions largess demand these reforms
    No. It will be like shooting themselves in the foot. To repeat, I never said it would be easy. Maybe a start with Citizens United would be in order.

they can deflect blame on Trump.
    Trump needs no deflection of blame. He gets all he needs just by being Trump.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2020, 05:33 PM
    Then PR also needs to be improved (especially with visits to and encouragement of high school and college students) with more hiring of PoC and women.
    How's the PR looking right now?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 05:42 AM
    Big difference between AFL-CIO, and a cops union. One is armed to the teeth and the authority to arrest and kill!
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 08:34 AM
    nope all police unions are affiliated with the AFL-CIO . AFL-CIO could drop the police unions in a second if they had real concerns about the police unions creating policies that protect cops who abuse their authority . They won't and the Dems who benefit from public union $$$$$$$$$ won't press it .
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 08:47 AM
    A distinction with a difference Tom, and we just don't know where this will go if public sentiments fueled by more "isolated" incidences keep happening. Not restricted to just cops either any more, and such outrage is as justified as the cruelties and atrocities that started them and keep it going.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 09:01 AM
    such outrage is as justified
    That's a really questionable statement. People were outraged in the Michael Brown incident. Stores were burned. Property was destroyed and lives were negatively effected, only to find out that the cop was actually in the right. And that was by no means an isolated incident. Remember Tawana Brawley and the innocent detective whose life was destroyed???
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 10:27 AM
    How about all those lives affected when the cops were wrong? Or those that witnessed those atrocities on tape, or worse, all the ones affected that weren't caught on tape? I mean terrorized and brutalized for jaywalking on a street with NO sidewalk???*

*See other thread.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 10:34 AM
    In Atlanta we have video proof of a felony assault on a police officer while resisting arrest ;stealing an officer’s taser weapon and pointing the taser at officers & firing it at officers.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 10:36 AM
    In Atlanta we have video proof of a felony assault on a police officer while resisting arrest ;stealing an officer’s taser weapon and pointing the taser at officers & firing it at officers.
    What would have happened if he had been white?
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 10:48 AM
    What would have happened if he had been white?
    I gave you the stats already . Other than that I can't answer a hypothetical .
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 11:00 AM
    Tasers aren't lethal weapons, and they knew he was drunk, unarmed, and until the cuffs came out cooperative. None of those is a reason to shoot the dude in the back twice. They had his car and ID, and knew where he lived (Down the street). Now the officer gets charged, dude is dead and that Wendy's is burnt. A phone call to his wife or relative would have made a big difference in that outcome.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 11:34 AM
    You left out the fact that the man was running away and was shot twice in the back, killing him. There's video proof of that also. It's called felony murder.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 11:44 AM
    And we certainly appreciate your support of the local police.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 11:52 AM
    And we certainly appreciate your support of the local police.
    Unlike you, I don't support murderers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a bigger problem than I been addressing it as? [ 3 Answers ]

I married 8 months ago at the age of 20. We met online and talked for 2 years and then married only 2 months after meeting. I So I moved from the northwest all the way to the southeast to lie with him in his family's house. We knew before we married that we shared opposing religious beliefs. His...

Bigger bra [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I wear these little crop top thingys but they're too tight and leave marks. I really think I need a padded bra or a bigger bra but I'm too afraid to talk to my mum about it. What shall I do?

How do I tell my mom I need get a bigger cup bra [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to tell my mom that I need a another bigger bra, but right before I try to tell her I freeze up and say something totally off the wall. I try to tell her and my sisters are around her all the time. Also my sisters are saying to me go get a bra that fits or they will say go put on...

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Getting fit and bigger [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start getting bigger in muscle mass and fitter in running but I do not want to go stupid and end up looking weird and I am wondering if someone could help me, I will be in the gym at least 5 days a week 1 time a day but I do not know what exercises to do, I want to do a day on each muscle...

View more questions Search