Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    We Christians are afflicted with abortion and gay-marriage laws, but we wouldn't want a Hindu person to have to look at the Ten Commandments?
    You keep posting but you still haven't answered the question.

Would you allow moral codes of religions other than Judaism, Christianity, or Islam to be publicly displayed on government buildings/property?

It's almost comical how you persist in avoiding questions you can't answer directly. You skate around and skate around until you're dizzy with evasion.

Here it is again:

Would you allow moral codes of religions other than Judaism, Christianity, or Islam to be publicly displayed on government buildings/property?

To help you, WG has posted several from 4 religions.

Now - we await your evasion thing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 04:57 AM
    Abortions and gay marriage are rare and isolated events and your just exaggerating them. Do the math!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 04:58 AM
    Generally speaking I would say no, but then that could easily be, in most cases, a local decision, but that's not what we're discussing here. The suggestion was to put the Ten Commandments in public schools because it is an historically accepted moral code in our country. That's why it was in schools to begin with prior to the SCOTUS decision in 80. It is also why your silly objection is spurious. We're not talking about anything and everything. We're talking about a specific passage.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 05:11 AM
    Generally speaking I would say no, but then that could easily be, in most cases, a local decision, but that's not what we're discussing here. The suggestion was to put the Ten Commandments in public schools because it is an historically accepted moral code in our country. That's why it was in schools to begin with prior to the SCOTUS decision in 80. It is also why your silly objection is spurious. We're not talking about anything and everything. We're talking about a specific passage.
    So that one Hindi kid, or Catholic or Muslim has to go along with your commandments being in school, but he can't have his?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 05:14 AM
    Abortions and gay marriage are rare and isolated events and your just exaggerating them.
    What? About 150,000 gay marriages and nearly a million abortions a year amounts to "rare and isolated events"? Well, if that's true, then what do you call the police shooting 10 unarmed black men every year? Good grief. What a crazy comment.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    So that one Hindi kid, or Catholic or Muslim has to go along with your commandments being in school, but he can't have his?
    Do not the catholics believe in the bible as do the protestants? Is not the muslim familiar with the old testament? As to the hindu he is a minority. What you are affirming is that man should be placed above God
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 05:16 AM
    Catholic? Moslem? Are you awake yet? At any rate, the answer is yes, in the same way that a Christian, Jewish, or Moslem kid is deprived of seeing the Commandments on the wall now. The question comes down to this. Does posting the Ten Commandments amount to establishing a national religion? The answer to me is plainly and clearly "no", so much so that it seems ludicrous to even ask the question. It is on the same level as suggesting that we should remove the references to God from the Declaration of Independence in the name of the establishment clause. It's just sheer lunacy, as is the idea that a Hindu kid walking past a plaque bearing the Ten Commandments is some sort of serious hardship.

Might add that the establishment clause would not seem to require that the feds be neutral towards religion. If that is what the founding fathers meant, then they could very easily simply have said that. "Establishment" means just that, that the feds cannot establish a national religion.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 05:40 AM
    Catholic? Moslem? Are you awake yet? At any rate, the answer is yes, in the same way that a Christian, Jewish, or Moslem kid is deprived of seeing the Commandments on the wall now. The question comes down to this. Does posting the Ten Commandments amount to establishing a national religion? The answer to me is plainly and clearly "no", so much so that it seems ludicrous to even ask the question. It is on the same level as suggesting that we should remove the references to God from the Declaration of Independence in the name of the establishment clause. It's just sheer lunacy, as is the idea that a Hindu kid walking past a plaque bearing the Ten Commandments is some sort of serious hardship.
    Why should they have to look at yours when they have their own? Why is not posting the commandments in a public school depriving anyone of anything since they have access in a church or at home, or in their bibles, which they can carry with them? No it's not on the same level as editing God from the founding documents, and that's not likely to happen.

Maybe you're drinking more than coffee this morning.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 06:57 AM
    Breaking News!
    https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/06/1...loroquine.html

The Food and Drug Administration said it is ending its emergency use authorization for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drugs backed by President Donald Trump to combat Covid-19. Dr. Scott Gottlieb, member of the boards of Pfizer and biotech company Illumina and former FDA commissioner, joins “Squawk Box” to discuss.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 07:01 AM
    Why should they have to look at yours when they have their own? Why is not posting the commandments in a public school depriving anyone of anything since they have access in a church or at home, or in their bibles, which they can carry with them? No it's not on the same level as editing God from the founding documents, and that's not likely to happen.
    Because they would be looking at what we accept in our country as a moral standard. You live here, then you get to look at it, or you can simply ignore it. And if we can edit any acknowledgement of God out of our schools, then why not out of the D of I? Why are they not on the same level? Why should an atheist have to see references to God in the D of I?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 09:30 AM
    Because they would be looking at what we accept in our country as a moral standard.
    No, we don't!
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 10:00 AM
    Correction. Everyone except Wondergirl accepts it. My apology.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 10:17 AM
    Because they would be looking at what we accept in our country as a moral standard. You live here, then you get to look at it, or you can simply ignore it. And if we can edit any acknowledgement of God out of our schools, then why not out of the D of I? Why are they not on the same level? Why should an atheist have to see references to God in the D of I?
    I don't know where you get your logic from or that cockamamy notion of taking God from the founding documents, so look, what you do in your school is your business, and what I do in mine is my business so leave it at that. You just want to promote YOUR religion, and I get that's what you do, and it's okay with me, and you can just go get the votes and the people to make that happen. That's how its done in America. Good luck to you! Count me out though, but go for it.

If I sound impatient, forgive me but I just watched a few minutes of the dufus re election campaign speech, and I need more than a cup of coffee right now.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 10:18 AM
    Correction. Everyone except Wondergirl accepts it. My apology.
    Wrong! Most Americans accept the First Amendment.

Back to basics - Are you ready yet to allow moral codes from other religions - see WG post where she so eloquently listed those moral codes - or are you insisting children from other religions must adhere to your beliefs?

I think we know the answer but it's good asking you and hoping you will someday see the light.

Please don't answer with some Bible verse. But you probably will.

(Trump speaks robotically when he reads a prepared statement. He seems to have little grasp of the contents).
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 10:23 AM
    Back to basics - Are you ready yet to allow moral codes from other religions - see WG post where she so eloquently listed those moral codes - or are you insisting children from other religions must adhere to your beliefs?
    If you will open you eyes and look at post 463, you will see that ridiculous question has been answered.

The supposed conflict between the first amendment and posting the Ten Commandments has already been addressed. Keep up!!

Please don't answer with some Bible verse.
    Yeah. No one would ever suspect you to be a closet atheist.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 10:50 AM
    If you will open you eyes and look at post 463, you will see that ridiculous question has been answered.
    Well, someone needs their eyes opened, but it isn't me. You certainly did not answer the question. Here it is again --- children from other religions - can they post their scriptures next to yours? (Shortened form).

The fact that you claimed 463 was an answer tells us more about you. You don't respect the truth (as witness the 463 business) and when you are called on it, you charge the questioner with lying. Who's the liar now?

The supposed conflict between the first amendment and posting the Ten Commandments has already been addressed. Keep up!!
    You obviously needed to hear the truth after your insult to WG. Only in your weak mind was it resolved.

Yeah. No one would ever suspect you to be a closet atheist.
    Spoken like a true fundamentalist. Some things never change.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 11:08 AM
    So you do post the 10 commandments in your school so what are you beetching about?
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2020, 11:31 AM
    Well, someone needs their eyes opened, but it isn't me. You certainly did not answer the question. Here it is again --- children from other religions - can they post their scriptures next to yours? (Shortened form).
    And here's the answer again. "Generally speaking I would say no, but then that could easily be, in most cases, a local decision, but that's not what we're discussing here. The suggestion was to put the Ten Commandments in public schools because it is an historically accepted moral code in our country. That's why it was in schools to begin with prior to the SCOTUS decision in 80. It is also why your silly objection is spurious. We're not talking about anything and everything. We're talking about a specific passage."

Spoken like a true fundamentalist. Some things never change.
    You could certainly resolve it easily enough. It's no problem for me. I am a Christian, meaning that my faith is completely in Christ for His redeeming, sanctifying, life-changing power. I have no trust in my goodness, and complete trust in His.

Your turn, if you care to take it. Otherwise, stop griping about it.

So you do post the 10 commandments in your school so what are you beetching about?
    I'm retired, so I don't have a school. At my last post, we did not have them posted due to our District guidelines, put in place because, as a public school, anyone who wanted to could easily sue us and have them taken down. They do have the national motto posted in each and every classroom, as does every public school in Mississippi. That's been the case for fifteen years or so.
    Expert

Jun 16, 2020, 12:21 PM
    The suggestion was to put the Ten Commandments in public schools because it is an historically accepted moral code in our country.
    Not just this country but every country has commandments some a lot more than 10 and some have for centuries so nothing special or unique about having them at all. I gave you the link where the Christian commandments given to Moses was straight from Africa. But you already knew that didn't you?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2020, 12:53 PM
    And here's the answer again. "Generally speaking I would say no,
    Thank you. It tells us that you discriminate against non-10 Commandment religions. What could be more un-American? I'll add theocracy to your racism, child torture for unbelievers, and general dissembling (lying).

We are getting a very full picture of you.

I am a Christian, meaning that my faith is completely in Christ for His redeeming, sanctifying, life-changing power.
    And you believe that children who do not believe as you do spend all eternity being tortured in hell. Those poor Sikh kids. First you won't allow them to post their scriptures next to yours, and then you send them to hell for all eternity to be continuously tortured. Don't forget to leave that out. That's pretty important, wouldn't you say?

I have no trust in my goodness
    Neither do we.

Your turn, if you care to take it.
    No meaning given for this. So, no answer.

They do have the national motto posted in each and every classroom, as does every public school in Mississippi.
    Ah, Mississippi. The only state to fly the confederate battle flag with it's state flag. But let's leave MS alone for now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The harm trump is doing [ 302 Answers ]

got to be some vested interests at play here, Trump is going to place a tariff on French wine because the French dare to tax US tech giants who don't play the tax game well, we all have had enough of multi-nationals, most of them US who hide their income in tax havens. I have news for Trump it...

Trump and His Swamp [ 22 Answers ]

I guess we missed his meaning - we thought he meant to drain the EXISTING swamp when it turns out the swamp is entirely one of HIS making. His cabinet secretary Acosta is the 9th cabinet official to leave the Trump administration. There are only 15 cabinet positions. For context: During the...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

View more questions Search