Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You need to read the Commandments. He does not allow images to be made of Himself.
    I guess Michelangelo in big trouble for his image of God that he painted on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Then there's Sallman's "Head of Christ" -- totally unrealistic in many ways.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 02:24 PM
    And that has what to do with the fact that in both the OT and NT, you do not find images of God?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    which in turn has it's origin on a very broad reading of the 14th amendment . A textualist would not find the rational in the amendment to justify the law as being interpreted by the court (the ruling itself a broad interpretation of the law) What we have here really is activism masked as textualism. Think about it . I hire people . I never ask their sexual preferences . Do I now have to add it to my questionnaire to protect my company ? And if I fire someone and they suddenly declare they are of this special protected group, will the company face a law suit ?
    That's not what it says Tom, you cannot be fired for race, creed, color, or sex. You better find a better excuse than that, and we both know there are ways. It's not a stretch to include gay or trans in the sex category. If it weren't for widespread discrimination you wouldn't need a title 7 clause period.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    And if I fire someone and they suddenly declare they are of this special protected group, will the company face a law suit ?
    Sure. Then the plaintiff has to prove they were fired because of being in a specially protected group. That's how it works. How it's always worked. Nothing new.

And that has what to do with the fact that in both the OT and NT, you do not find images of God?
    Have you decided yet whether you would allow moral codes of a faith other than yours to be publicly displayed? Just a reminder to keep you from your usual non-answering to questions you can't handle.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 02:42 PM
    Yes. The Jewish and Islamic Ten Commandments would be perfectly fine. And btw, if you can find a question I have not answered, I'd love to see it. We have, in fact, discussed this ridiculous question to distraction. It has been answered repeatedly. The Ten Commandments represent, as a poll showed clearly, a moral standard which we Americans tend to approve of. I doubt you could find many Hindus, for instance, who would not basically approve of the Ten Commandments. It is largely atheists who resist the posting.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 02:44 PM
    Oh, paintings are okay? Ah! GRAVEN images are forbidden.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 02:44 PM
    Yes. The Jewish and Islamic Ten Commandments would be perfectly fine. And btw, if you can find a question I have not answered, I'd love to see it.
    Here's one -- would you allow moral codes from other religions and other than the Ten Commandments to be publicly displayed? Your evasion is real cute, just like you usually act.

To make it even easier for you - morals from Sikkism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Native Americanism - all the others not mentioned here.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 02:51 PM
    Earth to Wondergirl. Michelangelo and Sallman did not paint in either the OT or NT periods of time. Those were clearly my points of reference.

Athos, look at my expanded answer. It is nothing more than a repeat of what has already been said. As I said, I doubt you can find many people in other religions who would object to the Ten Commandments. It simply represents a commonly held moral code that we Americans acknowledge as important. The primary resistance comes from atheists like I suspect you are.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 03:00 PM
    My question specifically asked about Sikhs and Hindis displays of their religious tenets.

https://www.learnreligions.com/prima...dultery%20More

http://www.english-for-students.com/...mandments.html

They have a commandment for every life situation. Or how about Rastafarians

https://www.africaresource.com/rasta...20unto%20thee.

Starting to see a pattern emerge among the monolithic religions? If they say one God then no matter the name it has to be the same God. Customs, dogma, and traditions are man made concepts, but they have the same value system.

All yall look alike to me. Humans!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 03:03 PM
    Earth to Wondergirl. Michelangelo and Sallman did not paint in either the OT or NT periods of time. Those were clearly my points of reference.
    So it's okay to break that commandment now, since we aren't in the OT or NT times.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 03:03 PM
    Athos, look at my expanded answer
    I did. You didn't answer. What are you afraid of? Why can't you answer? You've been doing the non-answer thing since I challenged you on your belief in hell for unbelievers. Should I repeat the question? I tried to make it easy for you.

It is nothing more than a repeat of what has already been said.
    Well, that much is true since you have yet to answer for the first time.

As I said, I doubt you can find many people in other religions who would object to the Ten Commandments.
    That's clearly not an answer. Are you shaking with fear that your God will be angry if you answer?

It simply represents a commonly held moral code that we Americans acknowledge as important.
    How many times do I have to tell you? 5? 10? 20? That is NOT an answer! Are you really that dense?

The primary resistance comes from atheists like I suspect you are.
    Ah, finally - the shaming! You can't answer so you strike out with a threat.

Now you have me as an atheist. Recently, it was a Russian Communist. What's next? A Martian?

Will you EVER answer the question? Be sure and put that non-answer stuff in your little book.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 04:21 PM
    It is an answer, it's simply one you don't like or want to accept.

Martian?? Yes, I have often thought of that, kind of in the same vein as you thinking of me as being in the JB Society.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 05:27 PM
    Yes. The Jewish and Islamic Ten Commandments would be perfectly fine. And btw, if you can find a question I have not answered, I'd love to see it. We have, in fact, discussed this ridiculous question to distraction. It has been answered repeatedly. The Ten Commandments represent, as a poll showed clearly, a moral standard which we Americans tend to approve of. I doubt you could find many Hindus, for instance, who would not basically approve of the Ten Commandments. It is largely atheists who resist the posting.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School..._United_States

I don't know about the atheist part, but I doubt a Hindi would accept the Christian version without a representation of the Hindi version also. I think the reaction would be the same for any non Christian version of the 10 Commandments. Every body would want EQUAL billing and of course teachers would be free to teach whatever version they were a part of and of course the dominant ones get top billing.

Teach your religion in your church and homes, and save us the controversy in the public schools. Just accommodating different religious prayers and practices is controversial enough. Or send your kids to the parochial school of your choice, on your dime.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 06:30 PM
    We Christians are afflicted with abortion and gay-marriage laws, but we wouldn't want a Hindu person to have to look at the Ten Commandments?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 06:46 PM
    We Christians are afflicted with abortion and gay-marriage laws, but we wouldn't want a Hindu person to have to look at the Ten Commandments?
    He very likely doesn't give a hoot about them!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2020, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    afterall why should he, even christians deny them
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:04 PM
    He doesn't need yours, he has his own. I can see a lot of people thinking if they can do it why can't I.

http://mindsoap.org/bible/the-42-com...ancient-egypt/

Written at least 2,000 years before the Ten Commandments of Moses, the 42 Principles of Ma’at are one of Africa’s oldest moral and spiritual instructions. Ma’at, the Ancient Egyptian divine Principle of Truth, Justice, and Righteousness, is the foundation of natural and social order and unity. Ancient Africans developed a humane system of thought and conduct which has been recorded in volumes of African wisdom literature, such as, these declarations from the Book of Coming Forth By Day (the so-called Book of the Dead), The Teachings of Ptah-Hotep, the writings of Ani, Amenemope, Merikare, and others.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2020, 07:15 PM
    Yeah. Why would a Hindu care about murder, lying, and respecting one's parents. I'm sure they probably love to murder, lie, and disrespect parents.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:22 PM
    Hindu moral codes are the integral part of Hinduism and they come under the big umbrella called Dharma. It is very difficult to translate the word Dharma. Some of the codes are Ahimsa (non-killing), Satya (truth), Dharma (duty), Karuna (compassion), Virya (fortitude), Dama (self-restraint), Saucha (Purity).

The moral code of Islam ranges from smallest details of domestic life to the field of national and international behaviour. It guides us at every stage in life and makes us free from exclusive dependence on other sources of knowledge, although we may, of course, use these as an aid to this primary source.

Moral Values in Jainism comprise of The Three Jewels which are, Right Faith, Right knowledge and Right Conduct. Moral Values in Jainism are directed towards the deliverance of the person.

Five Precepts of Buddhism Explained
    • Abstain from taking life.
    • Abstain from taking what is not given.
    • Abstain from sensuous misconduct.
    • Abstain from false speech.
    • Abstain from intoxicants as tending to cloud the mind.
    Expert

Jun 15, 2020, 07:43 PM
    In other CURENT EVENTS the Supreme Court refuse to hear the dufus case to make states help deport illegal immigrants.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...ornia-n1231060

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court said Monday it will not take up a legal battle over whether local governments can declare themselves sanctuaries and refuse to help federal agents enforce immigration laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The harm trump is doing [ 302 Answers ]

got to be some vested interests at play here, Trump is going to place a tariff on French wine because the French dare to tax US tech giants who don't play the tax game well, we all have had enough of multi-nationals, most of them US who hide their income in tax havens. I have news for Trump it...

Trump and His Swamp [ 22 Answers ]

I guess we missed his meaning - we thought he meant to drain the EXISTING swamp when it turns out the swamp is entirely one of HIS making. His cabinet secretary Acosta is the 9th cabinet official to leave the Trump administration. There are only 15 cabinet positions. For context: During the...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

View more questions Search