Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2020, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    All excellent questions. I'm interested in what is the authoritative text. You mentioned it, too. I'm sure for paraclete it's the Bible, but I'm interested in which edition/version/language etc., etc. etc.
    Athos, There are some paraphrases, but I use the NIV and the ESV and because there is only one language I understand, an english text. I don't use the KJV although many verses that come to mind can be found there, but the language is archaic and therefore not clear to me. I once ran a Christian bookshop so I am well aware of the differences in the various texts but if you use a parallel Bible you will find the differences are few
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 07:44 AM
    I wonder if the same applies for India, Asia, Africa, and other non English countries around the world, given both ancient and modern dialects and language additions and advances over time.

The imperfection of man would seem to allow for imperfect translation and close is good enough?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 08:14 AM
    The imperfection of man would seem to allow for imperfect translation and close is good enough?
    The accurate transmission of the NT over the centuries was amazingly good. Estimates of the correct wording of the text ranges from 95% up to 98%, and even at that the relatively small portion in question is generally not doctrinally critical. There is, for instance, the latter half of the 16th chapter of Mark. Lose that, and it effects our understanding of the truth of the Gospel message scarcely at all. Same thing is true of the story of the woman caught in adultery. Might add that there has been no effort to conceal any of this. The NASB, for instance, highlights any of those areas of concern for all to see.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 08:31 AM
    Back to the economy, job growth in May was the best ever. Even CNBC had to praise this recovery. "Employment stunningly rose by 2.5 million in May and the jobless rate declined to 13.3%, according to data Friday from the Labor Department that was far better than economists had been expecting and indicated that an economic turnaround could be close at hand.Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been expecting payrolls to drop by 8.33 million and the unemployment rate to rise to 19.5% from April’s 14.7%. If Wall Street expectations had been accurate, it would have been the worst figure since the Great Depression.

As it turned out, May’s numbers showed the U.S. may well be on the road to recovery after its fastest plunge in history."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/05/jobs...-may-2020.html
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2020, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Athos, There are some paraphrases, but I use the NIV and the ESV and because there is only one language I understand, an english text.
    Thanks for reply. By "authoritative text" I thought you meant a particular version. But, if I understand you, you are saying there are two "authoritative texts"? Did you initially mean to say two?

In any case, your answer creates further questions. (This is NOT a challenge to your belief - just trying to figure out your meaning). Would the English text of NIV or ESV be more authoritative than other English versions? You mentioned you only read English, so does that mean Bibles in other languages that you can't read are therefore less authoritative - or are you simply saying authoritative for you, not everybody?

Would your preferred versions be more authoritative than Bibles closer in time and language to the original versions?

I don't use the KJV although many verses that come to mind can be found there, but the language is archaic and therefore not clear to me. I once ran a Christian bookshop so I am well aware of the differences in the various texts but if you use a parallel Bible you will find the differences are few
    Actually, the differences from the originals and ancient copies due to so many copyists over the centuries are many, but I agree they they are mostly insignificant for purposes of faith. But that's not the issue here. I'm trying to find out if there is a single authoritative text accepted by the majority of Christians regardless of language.

PS - Please see #211 on Manifestation thread as reply to you on different but related subject. I assume you missed it.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 09:25 AM
    Do you mean an English text, or NT Greek?
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 09:26 AM
    As it turned out, May’s numbers showed the U.S. may well be on the road to recovery after its fastest plunge in history."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/05/jobs...-may-2020.html
    When it comes to the money, good news is good news, but on our way may take a few more of these good news announcements before we really can celebrate. LOL, we should have something good going after pumping trillions into peoples pockets!
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 10:08 AM
    but on our way may take a few more of these good news announcements before we really can celebrate.
    That is certainly true. Still, it was a stunning and unexpected development.

LOL, we should have something good going after pumping trillions into peoples pockets!
    For most people, it was a total waste of borrowed money that will burden our grandchildren til the day they die. We should all, dems and repubs, hang our heads in shame. It was little more than an attempt to get votes.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That is certainly true. Still, it was a stunning and unexpected development.

For most people, it was a total waste of borrowed money that will burden our grandchildren til the day they die. We should all, dems and repubs, hang our heads in shame. It was little more than an attempt to get votes.
    A bi partisan attempt for sure, but that amount of money had to help the numbers somehow, at least in the short term.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 10:22 AM
    Could be. We'll see, but check with your grandkids in thirty or forty years and see how they view it.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 10:49 AM
    Glad you think I'll be around for that. 8D
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 12:20 PM
    Could be! I don't know, though. My dear father lived to 101, but the final couple of years were kind of tough, and the final few months were really difficult. I miss him a lot, but I don't regret his passing. It was time. I know where he is.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 01:40 PM
    How much of the debt is being paid by us now?
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 02:29 PM
    None. We are only paying the interest. We are borrowing more and more, not repaying.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 03:16 PM
    Then logically the generation holding the ball this generation has made will be the one cussing our incompetence. Print more money, and save the future people from doing it, and they can make their own debts if they didn't learn from our mistakes!
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 03:17 PM
    Print more money = jack up inflation.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 03:18 PM
    So what, something or somebody has to eventually get jacked.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 04:15 PM
    Or we could learn to do the responsible thing and pay for what we want.
    Expert

Jun 9, 2020, 04:49 PM
    HOW? CUT WHAT? Pay with what money? How much? How LONG? What are you willing to give up?
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2020, 06:28 PM
    HOW? CUT WHAT? Pay with what money? How much? How LONG? What are you willing to give up?
    You do realize it's coming sooner or later. When the economy falls apart due to an excessive debt load, then the choices we face now will seem tame.

What to cut? Everything. Start with 15% across the board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The harm trump is doing [ 302 Answers ]

got to be some vested interests at play here, Trump is going to place a tariff on French wine because the French dare to tax US tech giants who don't play the tax game well, we all have had enough of multi-nationals, most of them US who hide their income in tax havens. I have news for Trump it...

Trump and His Swamp [ 22 Answers ]

I guess we missed his meaning - we thought he meant to drain the EXISTING swamp when it turns out the swamp is entirely one of HIS making. His cabinet secretary Acosta is the 9th cabinet official to leave the Trump administration. There are only 15 cabinet positions. For context: During the...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

View more questions Search