Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2020, 07:21 AM
    The issue of single parent families is a much bigger driver of crime than poverty. In fact, single parent homes even drives poverty. It is a huge negative. If I could change any one factor, it would be the issue of single parent homes. Change that, and the improvement in many areas would be dramatic.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 22, 2020, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    The issue of single parent families is a much bigger driver of crime than poverty. In fact, single parent homes even drives poverty. It is a huge negative. If I could change any one factor, it would be the issue of single parent homes. Change that, and the improvement in many areas would be dramatic.
    Can't say your wrong at all but I see the issue as there are single parent families and what should be done about it, and all the issues that come with it and that's where the failure becomes stark and real. That's not even considering the role divorces play into that equation.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2020, 12:16 PM
    Maybe we could join together in a call to preserve sex for marriage. Single parent families would begin to diminish by the year.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2020, 01:49 PM
    Maybe we could join together in a call to preserve sex for marriage. Single parent families would begin to diminish by the year.
    You're joking, right?! What's more important, even urgent to young people? -- a couple's sexual attraction for one another or JL's purity mandate? "A call to preserve sex for marriage" won't work.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2020, 02:23 PM
    You're joking, right?! What's more important, even urgent to young people? -- a couple's sexual attraction for one another or JL's purity mandate? "A call to preserve sex for marriage" won't work.
    Not joking at all. It worked quite well until the fifties, and then the sexual revolution began to take hold. As to "what's more important" for young people, would you include getting drunk and using drugs in that category? Should we stop discouraging those activities?

Always disappointed when you mock any call for responsible living. It's a shame that it's only my call for purity, one which you have adamantly refused to join.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2020, 03:00 PM
    Not joking at all. It worked quite well until the fifties, and then the sexual revolution began to take hold. As to "what's more important" for young people, would you include getting drunk and using drugs in that category? Should we stop discouraging those activities?
    Why didn't "it work" after the '50s? (Oh, yeah. You males didn't know -- or care -- about the auntie-induced abortions back then during and before the '50s or that Sally's six-month-long visit to her relatives in Oregon was how the family hid Sally during her pregnancy and put the newborn up for adoption.)
    Always disappointed when you mock any call for responsible living. It's a shame that it's only my call for purity, one which you have adamantly refused to join.
    Always disappointed when you have no realistic suggestions for responsible living.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2020, 03:52 PM
    Why didn't "it work" after the '50s? (Oh, yeah. You males didn't know -- or care -- about the auntie-induced abortions back then during and before the '50s or that Sally's six-month-long visit to her relatives in Oregon was how the family hid Sally during her pregnancy and put the newborn up for adoption.)
    You're not aware either, but you might want to know that sexaul activity amongst teens has actually decreased significantly over the past ten or fifteen years, so that would certainly seem to knock your theory in the head that teens are helpless to control themselves. Black girls in particular have shown a significant decrease. https://www.childtrends.org/indicato...ty-among-teens

Most women who married in the fifties were virgins at that point. That is certainly not the case now, but I'm happy to report that the trend over the past twenty years has been moving back to that decision. It is a small movement, but the data does bear it out. I don't know if that disappoints you or not.

I'm so glad your voice was not heard when the campaign against smoking began decades ago. While it has been hard and not completely successful, it has also saved many tens of thousands of lives. Would you have suggested it was all in vain back then? And if that could be done, then why not this? What do you have against purity that you cannot speak a single kind word about it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2020, 05:13 PM
    You're not aware either, but you might want to know that sexaul activity amongst teens has actually decreased significantly over the past ten or fifteen years, so that would certainly seem to knock your theory in the head that teens are helpless to control themselves.
    What happened to your accusation about chastity "until the fifties, and then the sexual revolution began to take hold"?
    Most women who married in the fifties were virgins at that point.
    You think.... Oh, yeah. You're a guy and weren't ever part of the gossip mill. Um, there wasn't much to do back then, just a movie at a theater or drive-in, ice cream sundaes at the local Dairy Queen, and then what? Hmm....
    I'm so glad your voice was not heard when the campaign against smoking began decades ago. While it has been hard and not completely successful, it has also saved many tens of thousands of lives. Would you have suggested it was all in vain back then? And if that could be done, then why not this? What do you have against purity that you cannot speak a single kind word about it?
    Smoking??? That's not the topic on the table!

Again I say:
    Always disappointed when you have no realistic suggestions for responsible living.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2020, 05:53 PM
    The No word comes to mind it is useful in many situations but little used
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2020, 06:08 PM
    What happened to your accusation about chastity "until the fifties, and then the sexual revolution began to take hold"?
    The fifties were not ten or fifteen years ago.

You think.... Oh, yeah. You're a guy and weren't ever part of the gossip mill. Um, there wasn't much to do back then, just a movie at a theater or drive-in, ice cream sundaes at the local Dairy Queen, and then what? Hmm...
    Sorry, but your anecdotal memories add nothing.

Smoking??? That's not the topic on the table!
    No, but your utter refusal to believe that public pressure can bring about change is.

Again I say:
    Of course I do. It's the same answer for smoking, drinking, or drug usage. It's for people to simply say "no" and do the responsible thing. It is always so very disappointing to see your absolute refusal to take a stand for purity.
    Expert

Mar 23, 2020, 02:49 AM
    My approach is education and prevention, what's yours?

We have laws against underaged drinking and using drugs, and the jails are full of those folks that get caught, and still the ones that don't are still doing it. You can call for purity all you want, but it's not mockery to point out that the call goes unheeded by enough to perpetuate the problem.

On the practical side given any change for the better comes after years and decades with no quick fixes, so we are left with how to deal with impure humans.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2020, 03:03 AM
    so this thred went from an absurd comment by the mayor to teen sex.

@ Tom, criminals rarely take time off and maybe we should expect an uptick in crime when the economy goes south
    I expect so except that now we live in virtual martial law . Everyone had a hissy fit over stop and frisk . Wait until you see what's coming .
    Expert

Mar 23, 2020, 03:20 AM
    Big difference Tomder between law and order, or someones version of it, and health quarantines. I think even crazy NY'ers can understand that, and get with it. Of course some will balk and holler freedom!
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2020, 03:30 AM
    you think it is us conservatives that will be the problem ? Lol il Duce Cuomo was going nuts Saturday because it was the libs of NYC that did not get the concept of social distancing . He noted parents letting kids play together in the play grounds ;pick up baskeball games all over the city and people crowding together in public parks .
    Expert

Mar 23, 2020, 03:51 AM
    It's neither conservatives nor liberals Tom, some people just don't get it yet. You think those beaches in Florida are just liberals? Cuomo also said he doesn't have the money to supply hospitals with what they need, or compete with other states to get those resources. I doubt he is in the boat by himself.

LOL, when they shut down Dallas, the folks just went down the highway to party. Our governor just made it a statewide thing.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2020, 04:05 AM
    You think those beaches in Florida are just liberals
    mostly ...they were kids on spring break .
    Cuomo also said he doesn't have the money to supply hospitals with what they need, or compete with other states to get those resources. I doubt he is in the boat by himself.
    The blue states have had irresponsible spending and priorities for years . It is states ;not the Federal Government that decides levels of staffing and supplies for their hospitals . No one told NY STATE to keep a low reserve of respirators and N95 masks . I can tell you where the Federal government fell short .

In 2005, the administration of President George W. Bush published a landmark “National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza.” The document, among other things, highlighted the need for plans to distribute necessary medical supplies from the nation’s Strategic National Stockpile and to support state and local efforts to “surge” medical personnel and facilities to handle an outbreak.
    Medical equipment such as masks and protective clothing in particular were given high priority as planners recognized that doctors, nurses and other medical staff were most vulnerable.

After the swine flu epidemic in 2009, a safety-equipment industry association and a federally sponsored task force both recommended that depleted supplies of N95 respirator masks, which filter out airborne particles, be replenished by the stockpile, which is maintained by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
    That didn’t happen, according to Charles Johnson, president of the International Safety Equipment Assn.
    The stockpile drew down about 100 million masks during the 2009 epidemic, Johnson said.
    “Our association is unaware of any major effort to restore the stockpile to cover that drawdown,” he said.Last month, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said that available supplies included just 12 million N95 masks and 30 million surgical masks, a tiny fraction of the 3.5 billion masks one of Azar’s deputies later testified the nation’s healthcare system would need.
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-20/disaster-foretold-shortages-ventilators-medical-supplies-warned-about

also buried deep in this Bloomberg report

The national stockpile used to be somewhat more robust. In 2006, Congress provided supplemental funds to add 104 million N95 masks and 52 million surgical masks in an effort to prepare for a flu pandemic. But after the H1N1 influenza outbreak in 2009, which triggered a nationwide shortage of masks and caused a 2- to 3-year backlog orders for the N95 variety, the stockpile distributed about three-quarters of its inventory and didn't build back the supply

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...7t6_Y-KTpMVvVI
    Expert

Mar 23, 2020, 04:25 AM
    LOL, conservative kids don't go on spring breaks so they must all be liberals? OOOOKAY! Another LOL, is states tell hospitals what to do about staffing and resources for a worst case scenario? Red states are as strapped as blue states so I wonder why that is. Everybody dropped the ball with other priorities on every level and that's why everybody is scrambling to catch up NOW.

I mean that as everybody in the world, not just us. This isn't the first time we have been caught with our pants down you know.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2020, 04:39 AM
    You guys are up waaayyyyyy too early.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2020, 05:02 AM
    No need to get up early they just shut down Australia but in true fashion they left the liquor stores open
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2020, 05:10 AM
    in true fashion they left the liquor stores open
    Gotta have those essentials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can the parvol virus stay in dogs system before it shows signs of the virus [ 3 Answers ]

Can the parvol virus stay in your dog for 5 weeks or so before it becomes sick. I bought a dog from a breeder and when I phone her to tell her my dog was sick and asked her if any of hers were sick, she told me no. By Saturday (3 days Later) she had cleared all those puppies from her house. She put...

If one partner has the stomach virus does the other partner get the smotch virus? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend hade the virus for a couple of days, He started throwing after his game on the 29th of december(miss his game on the January 1st), and I was with him on the 28, Is there a chance I could get the virus?

Virus not detected by anti virus [ 5 Answers ]

I have an anti virus or spyware program loaded on my computer but I know I still have things on my computer causing problems. My computer is "thinking" when nothing is running and several programs and certainly the internet are slow and sometimes just lock up at random times. What can I do or where...

Anti-Virus pop-up Virus [ 3 Answers ]

For the last week, every time I go online I get annoying pop-up ads and warning messages sayying' you're computer may be infected with malware and viruses, click here... " . Also, one of the pop-up ads is a virus scan. When I try to close them, I have to click close about ten times to get rid of...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search