Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2020, 12:46 PM
    Ok. Got it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 28, 2020, 05:02 PM
    Once tyrants and dictators gain power, it's hard to get rid of them, yet there are many furilla and rebels out there still fighting them so yeah helping them as you can is okay, but with caution as our own weapons we supply can be used against us and have. One thing we must remember is we also had help gaining our own independence.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2020, 07:09 PM
    Yes the french were opportunistic
    Expert

Feb 29, 2020, 06:12 AM
    Breaking the rule of the hated British was a must way back then. You know destroy the competition, as they were growing colonies all over the place too, from Canada to the Caribbean.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 02:54 PM
    Yes the British were far more successful than the French but no doubt they sowed the seeds of rebellion
    Expert

Mar 1, 2020, 03:43 PM
    The French did okay with Canada, of course Canada still bends the knee to the Queen, so not a total loss..
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 06:11 PM
    The French never were colonists, just opportunists
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2020, 07:46 PM
    The French never were colonists,
    You must mean something other than what you posted. It would be true only if you don't count: (Sorry for the length. Only way it would list them.)
    Albreda
    Anguilla
    Annam
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Cambodia
    Chandernagore
    Cochinchina
    Colonial Mauritania
    Colony of Niger
    Dahomey
    Dominica
    France Antarctique
    France Equinoxiale
    French Algeria
    French Cameroons
    French Chad
    French Comoros
    French concessions in Shanghai
    French Congo
    French Guiana
    French Guinea
    French Madagascar
    French Mandate for Syria and Lebanon
    French protectorate in Morocco
    French protectorate of Tunisia
    French Seychelles
    French Somaliland
    French Sudan
    French Togoland
    French Upper Volta
    Gabon
    Grenada
    Haiti
    Ile-Royale
    Iles Malouines
    Isle de France
    Ivory Coast
    Karikal
    Kwang Chou Wan
    Laos
    Mahe
    Malagasy Protectorate
    Montserrat
    Nevis
    New France
    New Hebrides
    Newfoundland
    Niger
    Oubangui-Chari
    Pondicherry
    Saint Bathelemy
    Saint Christophe
    Saint Croix
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Saint-Domingue
    Saint-Dominigue
    Sainte-Lucia
    Sint Eustatius
    Tobago
    Tonkin
    Upper Senegal and Niger
    Vietnam
    Yanaon

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...-colonies.html
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2020, 09:14 PM
    and very few retain the allegiances today, the French were occupiers and independence was won with bitter conflicts. The British however, were more pragmatic and with the exception of the US did not need to be persuaded with widespread violence that hands off local government was a good idea
    Expert

Mar 2, 2020, 03:36 AM
    Or they left because they saw those bloody conflicts coming and sought to save their own arses.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2020, 04:14 AM
    a long french tradition
    Expert

Mar 2, 2020, 07:47 AM
    They aren't extinct so it must be working on some level even if they cannot just dominate.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2020, 08:26 AM
    The British however, were more pragmatic and with the exception of the US did not need to be persuaded with widespread violence that hands off local government was a good idea
    yes there was a peaceful transition from British colonizing India right ? How about Ireland ? Another peaceful transition . How about Egypt ? Israel ? Cyprus ? The Zulus ? Boers ?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2020, 09:32 AM
    yes there was a peaceful transition from British colonizing India right ? How about Ireland ? Another peaceful transition . How about Egypt ? Israel ? Cyprus ? The Zulus ? Boers ?
    Well, other than all of those many and major exceptions, it was very peaceful.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2020, 09:48 AM
    Well, other than all of those many and major exceptions, it was very peaceful.
    yes I did not get into some of the minor ones like Pontiac's rebellion against the Brits or the failed Aussie rebellions of the Eureka's, or the successful 1808 Rum rebellion that ousted Captain Bligh (the second mutiny he was involved in)
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2020, 11:45 AM
    Come on gentlemen: ALL COUNTRIES WISH THEY WERE COLONIZED BY BRITAIN! Go through your lists and evaluate all the countries colonized versus those colonized by Great Britain based upon:

1) Standard of living
    2) Rate of growth
    3) Allies to the U.S.
    4) Continuity of governments
    5) Dictatorships
    6) Democracies
    7) Level of education

Certainly, there are exceptions but then take into consideration those nations that held onto the English language: They are heads and shoulders above all others!

Not even the "WORLD'S SMARTEST PEOPLE" (i.e. Germans, if you don't believe them, ask them!) can contest the British colonies on terms of how the people in those lands fared AFTER the Brits left.

Imagine if the BRITISH had discover Central and South America? Those countries, undoubtedly every one of them, would have been far, far further along than they are right now in every aspect of development. If that one is hard for you to imagine, try this one: Imagine if Australia was colonized by the SPANISH? Well, right away, there would be no Aboriginal People left, they would have killed most of them and bred the others to small portions of bloodline.

You want to say Greece or Rome or, even, Iraq was the "Cradle Of Civilization"....O.K.: Let me tell you, BRITAIN WASN'T FAR BEHIND! You can credit it to luck, planning, or God's divine intervention but the facts are facts!

The English language is the language of Civilization and Civility the world over! No nation speaking the English language has ever produced any dictators....never produced any Gas Chambers...never produced any Holocaust....and we won't even get into the literary contribution of the English language....or The Magna Carta...or The United States Constitution.

Are we Blessed to be speaking English? Uhhh, Yeah!
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2020, 12:03 PM
    I don't dispute that . I think anglo countries would be well served to have economic and military ties . That doesn't change the fact that the Brits held onto their empire long after their ability to do so. This was especially true in India where the cost of India nationalism cost millions of lives years before their final independence . And that was before the partition . Just check out the Bengal famine the Brits engineered in 1943 .

Mar 2, 2020, 01:18 PM
    tomder55: The British weren't the Germans....If India was a German colony, they would have held on until someone came and SAVED the Indians. What I am getting at is that the Brits could have held-ion much longer than they did: The "holding on" capacity is really a measure of how determined and how far the "holder" is willing to go toward retaining the "holdee".....when you apply this the Britain-India relationship, the Brits look to be fairly generous.

The British were also masters at using opposing sides in a country as a leveraging tool to retain their holdings...they did so in India with Muslims Vs. Hindus and also in Canada when they imported Labrador Indians to Newfoundland to exterminate native Newfoundland Indians and when they had finished off the native Indians, they deported the Labrador Indians back off Newfoundland.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2020, 02:09 PM
    Except that the Bengal famine of 1943 was a direct result of Churchill's policies . It was not a natural famine .There was plenty of food . Churchill plundered the food to feed British troops . It was an intentional genocide as bad as Stalin ever did to Ukraine. 10 million Indians died from the policy . The problem is that we are not taught these things .WE are taught about Gandhi's non-violent protests . The truth is that his was just one movement . The rest were quite violent .

Mar 2, 2020, 03:16 PM
    tomder55: I must plead ignorance about the Bengal Famine and certainly would not have thought it to be manmade by the Brits....Now, Churchill, he is another of history's complicated characters, and not entirely clean: When he was Minister Of War in WWI, he purposely made false statements about the Lusitania being loaded with weapons and war materials knowing that there were American citizens aboard and knowing that the Germans would clue their U-Boats in on the information to sink the ship...his whole purpose was to drag the U.S. into "The Great War"...and, it worked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida's rules for returning funds for holding rental properties [ 2 Answers ]

I was given money on the 3rd of August 2018 to hold my rental property for the purposes of (1) obtaining a cosigner (her uncle) and (2) after obtaining the cosigner to build a fence around the property prior to moving in on 25th of August 2018. This fell through because of the uncle wanting to see...

How To Steal A Supreme Court Seat By Trump [ 8 Answers ]

For almost an entire year, the right-wing Republicans refused to even consider President Obama's nomination to replace Scalia on the Supreme Court. An entire year !!! That is how Trump and his criminal cronies have stolen a seat on the Supreme Court. Should the Democrats now do likewise and...

Ex seems unstable. No court order, should I withhold the kids? [ 1 Answers ]

So I am going through a nasty, nasty divorce, which hasn't even been filed yet, because originally we were trying to be amicable with each other, but obviously that didn't work out. He has continually threatened me to "take full custody of the children", yet while we have been separated, there have...

IRS rules on transfer of funds to Mother from NRE account in India [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and have around 40 lakh rupees in my NRO account in India which I transferred from US to India over the past 1 year. I would like to transfer this amount to my mothers account who lives in in India and is a Indian citizen, so that she can put it in an FD for a year and get a...

United States Cities with the most sunshine and warmth during the late fall and winte [ 11 Answers ]

I have read through the questions and answers currently posted on the Ask Me Help Desk and the link suggested in one of the answers. I would like an accurate, statistical, answer to my question. The area is to be free from hurricanes and other destructive weather.

View more questions Search