Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Team_Rhombus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2020, 04:07 PM
    Earth Pressures - I have the solution but I cannot get there myself!
    Hi All! How are we all today?

I have come across a math problem which I just cannot solve (even though I have the solution!). I can barely see my desk for the piles of attempts I have made at this on paper so I could really use your help! The problem and the answer are on the attachment. I think the problem I am having is with how to treat 'exp' in the question. I would really really really appreciate it if someone could show me the correct way to approach the problem. It could be as simple as me not using my calculator correctly!

Thank you all!

I forgot to show on the attached that B and tethe (sp?) are equal to zero degrees
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 21, 2020, 08:26 PM
    I get an answer of 3.546 for the formula as written. However, I think there may be an error in your formula. I find that if you change the sign in the argument for the second sin() function in the denominator from a plus to a minus, making the denominator:

you get the answer you’re looking for. So please check the formula! And by the way, you need to convert the angles to radians.
    Team_Rhombus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2020, 03:28 AM
    Thank you so much for your help. I have looked at the standards to check the formula and you are absolutely correct, the formula in my question was incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does the tilt of earth's axis as earth revolves around the sun cause? [ 2 Answers ]

My science homework question and I have no idea what the answer is!

A coin weighs 4.3425 g and is dissolved in 250 mL solution (solution A). Solution D I [ 0 Answers ]

A coin weighs 4.3425 g and is dissolved in 250 mL solution (solution A). Solution D is analysed at 2.39 ppm. What is the concentration of solution B in mgL-1 to 3 significant figures? Answer

A/c freon pressures [ 5 Answers ]

My a/c unit is not cooling correctly,unit runs all night and cools somewhat,I belie=ve the pressure is low,what should be the readings on low & high side tubing.

Pressures [ 0 Answers ]

If I have a cylinder 4 in. in Dia. Hallow and encircle it with another cylinder that has walls 1/8 in. thicker, pack sand around the smaller cylinder between the 2 cylinders, and I pack the sand evenly, how much pressure will it take to break the smaller cylinder, the smaller cylinder is plastic...

Charging pressures for R-22 [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to check operating pressers on my home unit. The low side pressure on the R-22 scale reads 44. What should it read if ambient temp. is 89?

View more questions Search