Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cardomb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Type of socket to use for 30 amp breaker
    I have completely wired my workshop with 20 amp breakers using 12 ga wire. I now want to add 30 amp breakers for 240 vac. I will use 10 ga wire but I am not sure on what socket to use. I am planning to use an air compressor which requires 240VAC and pulls 15 amps. However, I also would like to setup a 240 VAC for future use, say for a welder. For the air compressor and welder 30 amps sockets, but I cannot find any. Also If the compressor uses 15 amps, can I use a 20 amp socket? I just do not know what amps the motor. Also is not 10 ga good for 30 amps? Any recommendations on the type of socket to use?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 04:04 AM
    Receptacle configurations are determined by what the load needs for amperage and voltage, and if a neutral is needed. See the attached chart.

For a welder, 240 volts 30 amp outlet without a neutral, a NEMA 10-30 would be needed. This is the typical outlet used for older dryers. There will always be one blade for an equipment ground.

If the air compressors uses 15 amps, the circuit will need to be a 20 amp circuit.

#10 wire is used for a 30 amp circuit.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 21, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Many welders require more than 30 amps. And you may want to purchase the welder before installing a circuit for one. A standard 225 amp stick welder may require 40 amps or more. It all depends on what type welder you purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

20 amp recpt. On a 15 amp breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to replace my breaker to a 20 amp? I have electric heaters that heat up my recpt and plugs an heaters what sshould I do?:confused: :confused:

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search