Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Apr 20, 2007, 03:19 PM
    6.5 HP BS Engine will not start
    Here's what I know:
    - Engine is on Troy Bilt mower that I have had for several years. It has never not started.
    - I have good air to the engine (removed the filter just to make sure)
    - I have good spark (checked it with plug out of engine)
    - Don't know about gas flow but it primes OK manually
    - I'm using gas I bought in mid-winter (added Sta-bil)
    - After the last mowing in the Fall (December) I ran the engine till the gas tank went MT.

When I pull the starter cord, there is very little resistance from the engine. You can hear a muffled sound which, I believe, is the piston moving air, but it does not fire.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look or what to do?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 22, 2007, 05:03 AM
    When I pull the starter cord, there is very little resistance from the engine. You can hear a muffled sound which, I believe, is the piston moving air, but it does not fire.

I would remove the spark plug and attempt to see if in fact the piston is moving, perhaps while another person pulls the starter cord. You should have resistance on comp stroke under normal conditions.

Morrowrj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

Lawn tractor engine won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I've already swapped out the solenoid. No luck. Battery is good. I "think" I checked all the ground connections and safety switches. Problem is when the key is turned on the engine turns once... then slows to a stop... it may go over again.. but it won't go long or fast enough to start......

Engine turns over but won't start [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, having a problem with my 1997 Jeep wrangler Jeep died on Saturday. Won't start so we tow it to my cousin's house where we are trying to diagnose the problem. The engine turns over but won't start. My first guess was the fuel pump, so we jumped the relay and it works. Tried starting the...

'89 Civic won't re-start when engine is hot. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello folks and thanks for reading my question. I enjoy driving my 1989 Honda Civic, with nearly 250,000 miles. I have one problem. If the engine is hot, it will not re-start, e.g. if I stop on the way home from work to run a quick errand, the engine needs to cool for about 10 minutes to allow a...

Honda Civic B16A2 engine will not start [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in a right pickle with this now. There is a strong spark. There is plenty of fuel coming in The distributor and map sensor has been replaced (and the ECU tests good too) The injectors are all getting power The main relay is clicking 3 times All I've been able to discover is that...

View more questions Search