Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redfin Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2004, 12:54 PM
    Files with an *.ISO extension
    Does anyone have advice on how to open and use the contents of an *.ISO file?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2004, 01:31 PM
    OK - here's a couple of ways.

I think WinISO could extract the files from the ISO. That's what it says anyway - http://www.winiso.com/. Or maybe Nero could do it? Haven't got an ISO on my PC to try it on.

You could just burn the ISO to a CD, then just access the files you need on the CD. But I guess this isn't an option, otherwise you won't be asking this question.

Finally there are some programs where you can mount CD images (ISO etc.) to a virtual CD rom drive. Basically, your PC will believe it has an extra CD drive, but it's just some software. Then you could just copy the files from that "drive" to your disk just like your burned the CD. Try Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc). I've used it before an it's pretty sweet.

Hope this helps.

Mar 1, 2004, 01:38 PM
    Re: Files with an *.ISO extension
    I believe you have answered my question... no problem to burn and then read... if this is what happens.

In case you wonder, this is re a special boot disc...
    Ubcd21.iso which is supposed to solve the problem of boot up for PC's without A Drives... a common thing today.
    If you would like more info, ask, redfin

Mar 1, 2004, 08:49 PM
    The iso's have been opened... Thanks... guess we have to close this... but I am not sure how...

redfin
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2004, 08:57 AM
    Don't think it works like that here. The post just stays open. Anyway, glad I could help :)
    jckokko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2004, 07:38 AM
    How did you do it?
    Do I simply copy the .iso file to a CD?
    I still can not read the iso.
    Do I have to have WinISO to extract data from it? :-/
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2004, 01:19 AM
    How did you do it?
    Do I simply copy the .iso file to a CD?
    I still can not read the iso.
    Do I have to have WinISO to extract data from it? :-/
    The ISO file is the image of a complete CD. What you need is a cd program that is capable of writing ISO images. Then you can burn the ISO to a CD and thus the CD will be created exactly as the original author intended.

If you want to extract the data directly, you can use an iso manipulator or mount it as a virtual cdrom and take the files from there. I assume "WinISO" is one of the former type.

If you don't have a program capable of burning ISOs (hint you should), you can grab cdrecord here:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/.../cdrecord.html

It looks like there is a windows version, but I haven't used it. Cdrecord is not "point and click" so take a look around for a windows frontend (there's probably one around somewhere.) :)

:)

~psi42
    qngds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2004, 07:32 PM
    Thanks! That was incredibly helpful to me. I had no idea how to open those files :)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 26, 2004, 04:02 PM
    I think winRAR can open ISO's too, without burning them to CD.
    jieying Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2004, 03:55 AM
    I'm trying to burn a Linux rescue CD (name: systemrescuecd-x86-0.2.12.iso). Since it just occupies 104M, can I burn anything after it without affecting its boot up function?

Apr 29, 2004, 06:09 AM
    I'm trying to burn a Linux rescue CD (name: systemrescuecd-x86-0.2.12.iso). Since it just occupies 104M, can I burn anything after it without affecting its boot up function?

Yes. You should burn the ISO first, and then any additional files as a second session.
    jieying Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2004, 07:33 AM

Yes.  You should burn the ISO first, and then any additional files as a second session.
    Thks for your prompt reply. I'm using Nero 6 demo version and I can't locate the option for "session". Should I use "Track-at-once" instead? BTW, can I add any files later (1 day after the 1st burn) after the burning of the rescue disk iso? Many thanks again.

May 1, 2004, 04:38 PM

Thks for your prompt reply. I'm using Nero 6 demo version and I can't locate the option for "session". Should I use "Track-at-once" instead? BTW, can I add any files later (1 day after the 1st burn) after the burning of the rescue disk iso? Many thanks again.
    I have never used Nero, sorry. :(

You should use "session at once" or "disc at once."

You can add files later, if you burn the disc as multisession.
    petepassword Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 07:16 AM
    RAR will take an ISO file and make an RAR file from it, no need to burn CDs. I just did it for the first time and it works! But if you need a workable CD then burn it.
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2004, 11:38 AM
    In Windows, there is another cool thing to do with .iso files.

Download the free program, DAEMON Tools. It sits in the tray and lets you mount .iso files as VIRTUAL cds/dvds. The program is at

http://www.deamon-tools.cc

Quite handy, especially if you've got a large hard disk(s).

Guy

dkvaris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2004, 01:31 AM
    Hi
    I have a little problems with iso. I downloaded an iso file through emule, but when I open it, there's nothing. It's empty, but it's size is 650 megs. Watahell is this?
    ??
    forkart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2005, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redfin
    Does anyone have advice on how to open and use the contents of an *.ISO file?
    I'm using magiciso to handle iso image. It is better than winiso. Magiciso also has a built-in iso burner. You can burn iso image to cd in ease.

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm
    soldier1256 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 04:17 PM
    Help with .iso
    My download of flight simulator 2004 is at near completion. But that's not what I'm worrying about its when I put it on cd. I don't know when to split the files on disc 1 and disc 2 or even if there's a disc 3 or 4 can someone help me please?
    sarakreep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 01:35 AM
    Opening files once burned to disc
    once i burn the iso file to my cd can i just open the program file i had downloaded? i'm downloading photoshop. and how do i save it back onto my hard drive instead of just having this photoshop on my disc? sorry if this seems dumb. i haven't tried any of it yet and i guess i just want to know if it's worth waiting to finish the download. :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarakreep
    once i burn the iso file to my cd can i just open the program file i had downloaded? i'm downloading photoshop. and how do i save it back onto my hard drive instead of just having this photoshop on my disc? sorry if this seems dumb. i haven't tried any of it yet and i guess i just want to know if it's worth waiting to finish the download. :confused:
    If you are referring to Adobe Photoshop, that is a copyright protected program. The only way its available for download is as a pirated version. If you want Photoshop, please purchase a legal copy. If you can't afford it (I know its expensive), try Jasc's Paint Shop Pro. Its supposedly almost as good as Photoshop for a fraction of the cost (under $100).

Please don't ask or expect us to help you steal software.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair extension [ 12 Answers ]

To do my hair in beautiful model for me, I have decided to use hair extension and color for it. Based on my picture, is it possible for me and if so, what model of hair extension and color?

Income Tax Extension [ 1 Answers ]

I filed for an extension in April for my 2005 taxes. How long is the extension for? When is the dealdine for me to file by now?

Help in PHP extension [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im triying to built a PHP extension, that will calls some other functions in some other .so files( in windows this is .dll files ) in Linux, I got the following error PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/httpd/apache/php/ext/libbgt.so' -...

Tub Drain Extension [ 1 Answers ]

My basement has a rough-in for a traditional tub with the drain at one end but I have my eye on a whirlpool tub with the drain in the middle. I prefer not to bust out the concrete to relocate the drain. Is it acceptable to build a wooden platform to support the tub and provide clearance...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

View more questions Search