Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoso43512 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2007, 02:30 AM
    Growing Trees
    I have just received Three new trees. Two blue Spruce and a Silver Maple. All are about 2 foot high (includes roots), question is, should I plant them right into the ground now or plant them in a pot and let them mature a little bit (and if so, how long)? Thanks for the time.:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 02:40 AM
    The following sites may be helpful to you. I hope that they are.

Tree Planting | Backyard Conservation | Features |NRCS

How to Plant Trees at arborday.org

PLANTING TECHNIQUES FOR TREES AND SHRUBS

How to Plant a Tree | Tree Planting | Tree Plant Guide |
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Another thing is that it does depend on where you are located and what the climate is.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 03:45 AM
    I would plant them now. The smaller the tree, the less it disturbs it to plant it. Planting it in a container and then replanting it later risks breaking the root ball. Trees seldom survive breaking the root ball. If they are bare root, carefully spread the roots out. If they are balled and burlaped, once in the hole, cut any synthetic twine binding it. Natural fibers will rot away, but synthetic ones left around the trunk will strangle the tree as it grows. If the ''burlap'' is synthetic, carefully make a few slits in it just before putting it in the hole.
    zoso43512 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 04:04 AM
    Thank you all for your answers and time. Looks like I need to get them in the ground NOW.
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
    You're right about planting the trees now. You may want to put a small fence around them if they are being planted in an area where you use a mower. Be sure to plant them far enough apart if you are planting them in permanent locations. They are so small that 5 feet apart seems like a huge distance. I have four evergreens at the edge of my back yard which I grew from little plants like you have. We placed them only 2-3 ft apart and it is way too close.

Where are you planting the silver maple? I recommend you keep it a good 20 ft or more away from any building with a foundation. Down the road it will start dropping branches which you won't want blowing on the roofs of house, garage or shed. And the roots will spread at least as far as the tree's canopy.

As the silver maple grows (it is a pretty fast grower) you will find that it creates a lot of large surface roots. I would plan my landscaping to accommodate the roots, i.e. keep extending out from the trunk the "no grass" zone and plant it with shade loving plants like hostas, astilbes and mulch (I know mulch is not a plant :p ).

I wish you well on getting the trees planted. Watching them grow is fun.

By the way, if you want more trees like those, you can purchase them from the Arbour Day Foundation (10 trees for free!)
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Direct -- and Grand dad always said --dig a 10$ hole for a 5$ tree -- Savage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 30ft X 8ft wire fence at the bottom of my garden which I wish to cover in climbing plants, IVY has been suggested. Can you suggest an IVY that will grow at the speed of light and cover my fence and which is hardy, also how many would I need to plant and how far apart for the fence to be...

Am I growing or Pregnant? [ 8 Answers ]

OMG! Am I just growing or am I pregnant? As you can see I'm very scared if I am pregnant because I am very young. My somach tends to get bigger and I missed my period for 2 days already. However I just experince my period twice already. I must know is there any chance of pregnant? I had'nt...

Growing pains? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone remind me what the growing pains feel like. I am having dull aches on my left side. Occasionally it switches to the right, but mainly on the left. From what I can remember, this happened the first time too, but I also remember that I didn't drink enough water a lot too, so I had cramps...

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large hill covered with ivy and want to make it look as good as possible. Is there an easy way to keep weeds out? Also, should I ever fertilize ivy? Thanks.. Brian??

View more questions Search