Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siudave Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2004, 10:31 PM
    System bios R1.16
    I start my laptop cpu and the system doesn't boot up and need to wait almost 15 minutes and then the screen shown system bios R1.16. I would to keep all the data in HD, how to fix this problem... please help!!
    Gkhster Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2004, 11:11 PM
    Re: system bios R1.16
    We are going to need more information in order to help you.

Let's start with:

- Brand and model number of the laptop.
    - Has it been dropped or otherwise traumatized?
    - How old is it?
    - What operating system and version were you using?
    - What were the last few things you did with the laptop while it was still working. In particular, was any software installed or updates applied? Also, was any new hardware installed recently?
    - Did the problem start occurring after an improper or emergency shutdown?
    - Is the laptop making any new and strange noises? In particular, are there any 'tapping' noises? Can you tell if the fan has stopped? Does it 'beep' in any sort of pattern when you start it up?

We would really like to help. Please give us as much information as you can. Also, let us know of anything else that seems out of the ordinary.

Generally the solution lays hidden in the details!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Guy
    siudave Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2004, 08:49 PM
    Re: system bios R1.16
    - Brand and model number of the laptop. I don't have a model #... just the brand... it's a Digitek (a Korean brandname that has gone out of business since)
    - Has it been dropped or otherwise traumatized? The laptop has not been dropped or experienced any type of trauma physically.
    - How old is it? It is approximately 2 years old.
    - What operating system and version were you using? I was using Windows XP.
    - What were the last few things you did with the laptop while it was still working. In particular, was any software installed or updates applied? Also, was any new hardware installed recently? No software or updates have been installed recently. There also has not been any new hardware installation. The last time it was used was probably to dial-up on line to review emails.
    - Did the problem start occurring after an improper or emergency shutdown? I cannot recall whether the computer was properly shut down last. There have been numerous occasions where the power cord was accidentally unplugged, causing the laptop to shut down suddenly. This may have been the case.
    - Is the laptop making any new and strange noises? In particular, are there any 'tapping' noises? Can you tell if the fan has stopped? Does it 'beep' in any sort of pattern when you start it up? I do not detect any new or strange noises. The fan appears to be functional, as I can hear it humming.

In greater detail, this is what appears to happen when I turn on the system.

1.) When the laptop powers up, the Power Indicator Lights light up, and the fan begins to hum.
    2.) However, the screen remains blank as though the system is off. (I have tried plugging in an external monitor in case the LCD screen is malfunctioning, to no avail)
    3.) The system fails to load up, as it does not even reach the bootup process (it usually attempts to bootup from the floppy first)
    4.) There was one instance where we left the laptop on for an extended period in this state, and it actually started, showing system bios R1.16, but that is as far as it got and did not load up any further. After reboot, the system failed to even reach that far, and the screen remained blank ( on repeated attempts).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Bios [ 1 Answers ]

HELP I just bought myself a new CPU and cooling fan but it only runs at 3000rpm it supposed to go twice that speed (which I need it to) since my system hits 40-50'c in a matter of minutes, I asked my dealer about it they said I had to change the settings in my BIOS to get the fan to go faster but...

Bios [ 3 Answers ]

How to I get to it on a compaq deskpro

How do I get into by BIOS? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I would like to change my boot sequence so that my computer will try to boot from CD-ROM first. I have done everything in last few days to get into BIOS (F1, F2, F9, F10, shift-control-del... ) but wasn't successful. Can anyone help me? I have a COMPAQ Presario notebook 1715CA. My...

Bios [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an IBM laptop computer (Type 2656) and the system board crashed so I lost all my info. I have insurance so I sent it to get fixed. My problem is that since IBM places their recovery information on a partitioned part of my hard drive... I now do not have it. My hard drive has been...

View more questions Search