Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confuzzledmonkey Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Off topic: yes true but they are the lucky ones they didn't get deppressed at a young age because of their intelligience as so many do, and please stop having a go at me because I said something in a not very well written kind of way

OK back on topic, reading books now isn't often a social activity which is what so many peoples lives are about. In this world you hardly need to read much apart from price tags and names to get by, children do not read because they want to go play out with their friends all the time or be grown up and try reading a big book and get bored of it.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 08:34 AM
    There is equal time to play outside and read. I make it a nightly ritual. And I was really referring to kids not being any bit interested in reading the classic books that are given to them in school. There are always kids on here asking homework questions because they didn't read an amazing book. The books they give you in school aren't all about divorce or whatever is happening in the world. They are amazing works of literary art.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    there is equal time to play outside and read. I make it a nightly ritual. And I was really referring to kids not being any bit interested in reading the classic books that are given to them in school. There are always kids on here asking homework questions because they didnt read an amazing book. The books they give you in school arent all about divorce or whatever is happening in the world. They are amazing works of literary art.

Yes my 15 year old does this, I could not even get her to read "Death of a Salesman" it is only 135 pages long. So I read it for her.
    Confuzzledmonkey Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Many of the books I get in school are like that, about real life children and what happens to them, but then again at our age super space man and his dog aren't perticularly interesting either, maybe once I move onto high school they will have different books. In my school up to the age of 7 we are given books to take home and read, now we choose a book and have 2 10 minute slots during the day to read, however teachers don't enforce this too much because most of the kids aren't interested and draw or talk instead.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
    Why is it that kids today do not want to take the time to enjoy a good book? I can't remember a time when i never wanted to read!?!...I have seen several posts on here recently asking homework questions for amazing books and plays...Two just tonight? Am I a dying breed? Half of my best ideas and opinions I stole from books...lol. Dont they realize the excitement they are missing?!? IM seriously in a funk now.
    It comes from an early on example. You can't just decide when you child is 6 and starting to read that it would be good to get him a lot of books. Let your children see you reading things because you want to, not because you have to. Read to them, and then read the book again and again if they want you to. Limit their screen time (tv computer, video games).
    We go to yard sales and tell our kids that as long as the books are priced fairly .25 to .50 for a typical paperback there is no limit on how many they can get. Some weeks they come home with a stack of books 8-10 inches thick.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 23, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Name:  avatar_1915.gif
Views: 61
Size:  52.5 KB
    there is equal time to play outside and read. I make it a nightly ritual. And I was really referring to kids not being any bit interested in reading the classic books that are given to them in school. There are always kids on here asking homework questions because they didnt read an amazing book. The books they give you in school arent all about divorce or whatever is happening in the world. They are amazing works of literary art.

They can actually be entertaining also. Does this mean you are pregnant
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 07:56 AM
    It does, we just found out!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 08:05 AM
    it does, we just found out!
    Congratulations!
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old books [ 5 Answers ]

I have a few old books (100+yrs). Does anyone know any online valuers? Or somewhere for a rough estimate? I'm wondering if they're worth taking to a valuers or am I going to look silly? thanks moomin ;)

E books [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Please tell me which is the best site for finding any ebooks?

Only like books by women [ 1 Answers ]

I have this issue whereby I only like books by women. I don't know if it's a feminist thing. I just like the idea that female literature is a timeless club of which we (females obviously) can be part. Does anybody else have a similar female literature ting going on? Bernadette

Name of these two books [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure these are children's books, at most teen books. The first book goes like this: Girl lives with her brother and her grandparents(I think) near a little town. The main character is a girl. She has a gift to talk to animals, and her brother has a gift that is unknown. She is a...

Books on business [ 2 Answers ]

Do they have textbooks on business? If so, where can I find them?

View more questions Search