House painting vs insulation
    What questions should I ask in regard to:
    Painting over cedar shake shingles and blow in insulation
    Or
    Putting vinyl siding directly over shingles vs taken shingles off
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I guess the question is do you want to cover your shingles with vinyl?

It will change the look. If you want the vinyl then it is great the first thing is what you want the house to look like.

Blown in insulation first does not always get into every nook and hole. Supports or cross beams stop it from getting in, and over time it will settle towards the bottom. And at least in all I have seen you have plug holes that can be hidden OK, but can normlally be seen if you look close.

Personally I don't know why you would take anything off if it is in good shape, ( using striping to even the surface. You would want most likely to use an insulation wrap if you are using vinyl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior painting - 100 year old house [ 10 Answers ]

I am about to take on a huge project - alone. I bought the paint and need desperately to get the exterior of my house painted. About three or four years ago, my boyfriend hired someone with a sprayer to do this. Since then, the paint has been literally peeling off all the way down to the raw wood....

Painting my house [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on painting the exterior of my house this summer, again. I have had trouble getting the paint to adhere to the cedar siding. It bubbles and peels quickly even though I prepare the siding by sanding and applying exterior primer. Is there something else I should do or is there a type of paint...

Painting my house [ 1 Answers ]

Plan to paint my house this summer, but have not been successful in finding a paint that will last on the cedar siding. Bubbles and peels quickly. Is there a paint that will adhere to this siding?

Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to putting insulation on the ceiling of a basement. The reason for my asking is someone has told me that it isn't wise because cold air doesn't rise anyways(I already knew that) and you would cut any heat off coming from the boiler and water heater that...

Cables in wall and house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe the code forbids running cables so that they Are in contract with each other. If you pass through A beam, I believe they allow 24 inches of contact. How many cables can go through each hole and How big must a hole be? What is the allowable method of running several Cables...

View more questions Search