Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Interesting observations from others.
    My wife went to this program for new mothers. They have a nurse, dentist, teacher and other programs that they talk about different things.

Well the nurse tried to tell my wife it is too early for our boy to say mama. He has being saying mama for the last couple of weeks now. He is a little over 6 months. I remember my baby sister saying algebra when she was 6 months old.

Anyway, another thing they are surprised about is that he does not suck his thumb.

Many people think it is strange but he never does. Same as a pacifier, we tried using a pacifier. No such luck so we never bothered with it again. I guess these are two things we do not have to worry about him getting out of the habit of. Lol

What are your thoughts on this? What are some baby stories that you have.

Oh you, he is already starting to copy different things and imitating us. Lol

It is so funny.

Proud pa pa.

Joe
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Hey there proud papa! My oldest son never wanted a pacifier either. He would spit it out. One time he and I were going to the grocery store, he was about 9 months old. I passed a McDonald's and he got so excited. He kept saying, "e e donalds" I could not, for the life of me, figure it out. He was pointing and then I saw the golden arches. Neither I nor his Dad ever took him to McDonald's so we wondered where he picked that up.

One of my favorite baby stories about my oldest son is the following. I took him for his 6 week checkup and we saw the nurse practitioner instead of his pediatrician. She was cooing over him and had his diaper off. I told her to be careful but she said she knew what she was doing. She bent over and poked his tummy and he immediately peed and hit her glasses and lab coat and face. I nearly died of embarrassment.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 05:00 PM
    The story about him peeing in the face of the nurse. OMG. I would have pissed myself laughing if my little boy did that, I would have said to the nurse or doctor guess you were asking for that. I would tell my little boy I am proud of him and let him know it was hilarious what he did.

Lol lol lol
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
    My son pissed on my face the first night he was ever home. That only had to happen once!
    My daughter created some odd language when she was first learning to speak... for months she kept saying she wanted moonuck. I had no idea what she was talking about. I'd just say, OK, and she'd get mad because she knew I didn't understand. Finally I figured it out... moonuck was gum. Go figure. Oh, and boo harries, they were gummy bears. She also vomited all over my face once. Oh there was an incident in her bedroom... she was 18 months and was playing in her room. I went in and found no diaper on her and brown stuff all over her body and her furniture. I instantly didn't breath through my nose. I wasn't sure if I should start the clean up with her body, or the dresser, or her bed... I finally inhaled through my nose by accident only to discover she hadn't been playing in poop. She had held a bunch of hershey kisses and let them melt, then smeared them all over. You wouldn't believe how happy I was!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 08:57 PM
    I had my son into the pediatrician the other day who asked me how his speech was and I told him that My son was speaking sentances and sometimes even had a sense of humor... my doctor told me that at his age, he probably wasn't really speaking sentances, but I was turning his words into sentances (whatever that means) and then went on to say that he wouldn't have the capacity to make jokes yet... My son replied with "Oh for the love of pete" I about died of laughter... and beemed with a teensy bit of pride...

Apr 19, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Sometimes I think that doctorate degree goes to their heads... no one knows a kid better than his parents!
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:03 PM
    I agree... now I'm not saying my kid is a genius or anything... I mean he still calls rice crispy treats "rice christmas treats" and McDonalds "Old McDonalds" but I mean I know what a sentence is... and I definitely know when I hear humor... even if its 3 year old humor...

And every baby is different and learns differently depending on whether their parents read or sing or joke or dance or talk a lot or ignore them... They will pick up on the things their parents do. My friend is the most talkative person I know, and her daughter is the second most and has been since 9 months of age...

Apr 19, 2007, 09:11 PM
    He's nearly 3 and your doc doesn't think he can make a joke or intentionally try to be funny? That's a riot! My boy will be three in a couple of months, and he loves to make jokes and be funny! His doctor didn't believe he was riding a two wheeler with training wheels last September. Kind of a stupid thing to make up at the doc's office, right? I love how they always have some sort of info for you to follow about safety and precautionary measures, etc... Sometimes I feel like saying something along the lines of, "Outlet covers? What are those? Should I pick some up after his play date on I-80 this afternoon?"
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I know... he asked me to make sure that I was providing a good fitting helmet, knee pads, and wrist and elbow guards for my son on his big wheel... I was like... sure... I mean I have a helmet, but the knee pads and wrist/elbow guards? He would hardly be able to move... and he's going like 3 mph down the sidewalk... not doing backflips of the bike ramps... I could see that for a skateboard or skooter, but a big wheel? Im notreally an anal mom if you couldn't tell... I try to let him be a boy..

Apr 19, 2007, 09:22 PM
    I am with you on that note. My son won't even wear a band-aid. I can just imagine telling him to wear knee and elbow pads! He is totally rough and wild. I love it. It's such a nice change from my fragile little girl. And I do think boys need a little more room than girls. Boys are so much more physical. My son learns by doing things. My daughter learns by watching someone else do it!
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Apr 20, 2007, 03:24 AM
    Helper, I think your son is doing great! He is even a little above on his cognitive developmental traits, from the "mama" and imitation, as those usually don't happen for another month or two. Just remember he may be able to say mama, but he hasn't yet connected the word with his real mama. As for the thumb sucking and pacifier, like you said, at least now you won't have to break him of it! Thumb sucking (or the use of a pacifier) is usually the way little ones relieve stress, but some, possibly like your son, may only have this sucking need for the first few months of life. Therefore, its definitely not strange that he has no urge to suck, except when feeding. Keep up the good work!
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Apr 20, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Hey JH, good on you, and your son! I bet he grows up a genius!

I've got 2 stories, one about my older brother, and one about my younger;

My older brother was having one of his first check-ups at the doctor, to check hearing they rang a little bell at various points around his head - most kids would turn to look at the noise - my brother didn't!
    For ages they did tests on him, thinking he was deaf! Turns out he just didn't want to 'play' that day!

The other story is about my little brother. When he first started teething he just had the two on his bottom gum, with a big gap in between them! My Dad was laid on his back 'aeroplaning' my little bro, who was flailing all over the place! To get a better grip of him, my Dad laid him on his chest... my little brother lent forward and bit his nose! His two little razor sharp teeth fitted perfectly up my Dad's nostrils thanks to the gap in between!

Oh man did he shreek! Blood everywhere! I still laugh today thinking of that! He he!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Well the nurse tried to tell my wife it is too early for our boy to say mama. He has being saying mama for the last couple of weeks now. He is a little over 6 months.
    Joe
    Well of course the nurse responded that way Joe, she didn't realize you were referring to super baby :)

Anyway, another thing they are surprised about is that he does not suck his thumb.
    Joe
    Of course Superbaby doesn't suck his thumb! He is superbaby Joe... :)

Proud pa pa.

Joe

You and your beautiful wife have every reason to be proud :D

p.s. Let me know when he starts saying "Auntie Allheart" . LOL :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 03:47 AM
    I think their point about the 'saying mama' issue is that it's possible that the baby is saying indescriminate syllables and not attaching that meaning/label to his mother. I've seen that with my own kids but I've also seen babies learn skills at widely warying stages. The copying and imitating part is a blast isn't it! You suddenly are so aware of your own actions - wait until he can really speak and imitates what he hears :D. The second child does that part doubly so. I love being a dad, best thing that ever happened to me. Enjoy it Joe, take lots of pics and videos.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Oh, believe me he relates the word mama to mama, there is no doubt about it.

Joe
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I just want to say everybody has awsome stories.

Joe
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 21, 2007, 11:49 AM
    My little one was saying mama at 7 months and he definitely knew who his mama was!! I started doing sign language with him at 8 months and now he talks ALL the time! He is 18 months and will say 3 word sentences and will repeat EVERYTHING that we say so we really have to pay attention to our word selection! My oldest is 12 and he didn't really start talking good until he was two but walked when he was 10 months. My 18 month old talked early and didn't walk until 14 and 1/2 months. Neither one of them liked the pacifier. A couple of months ago a car pulled out in front of me on the highway and I said G** D*****!! And the baby would say that every time we got in the car but he hasn't said it in a while thank goodness!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Great stories! I love reading them!

Joe I think that's great about your child!
    You and your wife are obviously off to a wonderful start.
    Keep up the good work!

When my daughter was at the tender age of 2, we were walking down the isle of the grocery store.
    She pointed and very loudly blurted out, "mommy, they stink".
    I tried to hush her quietly w/o acknowledging her comment, but she persisted while directly pointing the smelly people out to everyone around us.
    I was so humiliated and embarrassed.
    Shortly after the incidence, a lady walked over to us and whispered, "it's OK honey, someone needed to tell them that a shower was in need."

Oh the things children say...

Kae
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 01:00 PM
    I actually have another story about my baby sister. Well she is not a baby anymore, but there are many stories.

My uncle was over visiting or staying with us. My sister was either one or two years old. Forget which it was. My uncle was cursing on the phone saying f---, f--- that. Well my little sister over heard. Guess what she started to say over and over and over again. You betcha.

Joe
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 21, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I would not worry as long as your son in healthy. My son said da-da ALL the time from the time he was about 6 1/2 months old. He never sucked his thumb or took a pacifier. Although now he's 2 and he picks his nose ALL the time. Lol Im sure he's fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Interesting ex situation [ 1 Answers ]

3 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, she said she wasn't happy and I was reluction to let her go. A week later I met someone else, we started dating and grew from there. 3 months passed and me and ex started talking again. She didn't date anyone one after 3 years of off and on with...

Interesting conundrum. [ 14 Answers ]

Christians believe in God, Jesus and a "spirit" Muslims believe in God, and although they do not accept Jesus as a saviour they do believe in him and accept him as a profet. Jews believe in God. Do not and did not accept him as a saviour and for his troubles, murdered him. Given the above...

New Here, Have Some Interesting Question? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, hey guyz. I am 18 years old male, live in New Jersey and have some question for you guys. Well, guyz I am half south asian and half european. My original skin complexion is somewhat fair to light. Until last summer, my complexion was great until I hit ACNE!! Since, obviously I wanted to get...

View more questions Search