Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Actually we had a few scares with him this morning and this afternoon. This morning he woke up choking and coughing. He started to cough a lot in his sleep and choking lots when feeding. It is like oh no. Then he woke up this afternoon from a nap. He was okay for a while then he started screaming and crying so much that he started choking again and having a hard time breathing. He is scaring us a lot today. Earlier today my wife took him in just to get everything checked out and the doctor thinks everything is fine, probably just has a cold.

Lillian, Oh, they say that babies who do not suck their thumb or suck on a pacifier. The studies show that these babies have higher IQ then babies who are pacified all the time. Hee Hee, that means that superbaby really is super and will learn fast and like somebody said in an earlier post he must be content and happy.

Which he does seem happy most of the time except for when he is hungrey or sick with a cold.

Thank you for your post.

Joe
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 21, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Yeah when mine gets colds he gets really mad especially when he was younger. It is frustrating for them because they can't tell you that they can't breathe through their nose-they just know they can't and it makes them mad!! Don't worry, mine did that too-choking and coughing and such. They are use to breathing through their noses not their mouths. I found that the Little Noses drops helped mine. I would put them in his nose when he was asleep-otherwise he would freak out. Also 15 minutes in the bathroom with shower steam helps a lot. Just giving my thoughts-hope you don't mind. :)

PS not sucking on thumbs or pacifiers-no wonder they are so smart!! lol
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk
    Yeah when mine gets colds he gets really mad especially when he was younger. It is frustrating for them because they can't tell you that they can't breathe through their nose-they just know they can't and it makes them mad!!! Don't worry, mine did that too-choking and coughing and such. They are use to breathing through their noses not their mouths. I found that the Little Noses drops helped mine. I would put them in his nose when he was asleep-otherwise he would freak out. Also 15 minutes in the bathroom with shower steam helps alot. Just giving my thoughts-hope you don't mind. :)

PS not sucking on thumbs or pacifiers-no wonder they are so smart!!!lol
    Oh, I do not mind at all. Thank you very much

It is good to know others knows what is happening too. It is frustrating and upsetting seeing your baby sick, even though it is only a cold.

Joe

Apr 21, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Well I've got to story-may or may not be funny. When I was about three or four, we were at my brother's baseball game and my mom gave me some money to get some candy at the concession stand. My mom always had me looking cute with ribbons that she would paint my name on to match my clothes and such. So I was a big girl getting to go get candy all by myself. (you can see the stand from the bleachers) Anyway I go up to the stand and the lady says, "My you are such a cute little girl what's your name?" And I said, "Well my name is Katie but my Mama calls me s*it head!!" My mom has told that story to so many people and they always laugh-I never thought it was that funny though! FYI my mom would say this as a term of endearment-you know "you're so cute you're just a little S*ithead.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
    On the east coast. I know there are lots of families that say things like that to their kids. I personally do not like it at all. I would say it was funny for that lady but not for you of course.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Oh yes, it is so hard seeing your babies sick... Wishing you could do something to just make them all better.

Lots of hugs, kisses, cuddles, and tickles seem to comfort mine quite a bit when they're feeling under the wheather...

Mine use to get choked up quite a bit because the formula or milk made an excess of mucus build up in their throats.
    I'd give them a little nursery water to help them wash it down.
    I dealt with a lot of criticism for giving my babies plain water, but it is what I would have done for myself, and it worked for them too.

Kae
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I live on the east coast (southern part) and it's not a term of endearment I use - LOL ;) ;)

Maybe it's a northern thing ;) ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Water, yes, it is the wonder drug.

As for stories, let's see... When I was little like 2 or 3, Mom said I would say my ABCs and leave the P out. It went something like this

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO that's not nice QRSTUV... well you get the point.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Kae, I did the same thing with both of mine. If they were sick I gave them as little milk as possible. Milk absolutely does create more mucus and phlegm. My kids had water or pedialyte until the phlegm began to clear up. It didn't harm either of them.
    Ultra Member

Really? Your child's Dr. recommended it?
    I got criticized for it by everyone...

It does work, doesn't it...
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Water is wonderful, unless of course it is well water. Water has fluoride in it that the kiddos can't get anywhere else. Also, with water, it helps keep perfect hydration status.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I knew I was doing the right thing:D

This was when my children were still on the bottle though (under 12 months old) when I was criticized for it.

Apr 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Yes-babies need to drink water too. Not just milk. Please I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about my story. My mom didn't go around saying this to me all the time. Please don't be so serious. I am from the South by the way.
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
    I used the nursery water that you buy at the store.
    It's also the water I made their formula with.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
    MissK, Just so you know, I thought it was funny. I too am in the south and hear it as a term of endearment sometimes. I have even been known to tell my hubby "Guess what Johnny did, that little s*it!!!" It is usually said when a kiddo does something funny.

Apr 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
    I can't believe you were criticized for that-well I believe you but that is just kind of crazy. I have a 12 year old and 18 month old and when they were both drinking milk from the bottles, and were sick my doctor always encourged water. They just don't know what they're talking about. Lol :)
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Achhh, I gave water from a bottle at about 2 months of age. Usually just about 4 ounces, but still just water. We all need water, our bodies are made up of mostly water. We need to replace what we lose daily.

Apr 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Yes, I gave my babies water even when they were not sick. Just a little like J9 said. True, we all need water-even babies. The hospitals even sent me home with water-with both kids.

Apr 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Sorry-I guess no one is taking it serious. I must be having a sensitive day!!
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missk
    Sorry-I guess no one is taking it serious. I must be having a sensitive day!!!
    Just to make you feel better, and to reveal the truth. My mother still says that too me. We live far far away. I came out of the blue to visit. I surprised her at the door with the camera. She pretty much chased me and started calling me you little sh$#. You little fuc---. Well that was the shock and surprise of it and I loved every minute of it. It was funny to see her react like that and we even have it on video. Ha Ha. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Interesting ex situation [ 1 Answers ]

3 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, she said she wasn't happy and I was reluction to let her go. A week later I met someone else, we started dating and grew from there. 3 months passed and me and ex started talking again. She didn't date anyone one after 3 years of off and on with...

Interesting conundrum. [ 14 Answers ]

Christians believe in God, Jesus and a "spirit" Muslims believe in God, and although they do not accept Jesus as a saviour they do believe in him and accept him as a profet. Jews believe in God. Do not and did not accept him as a saviour and for his troubles, murdered him. Given the above...

New Here, Have Some Interesting Question? [ 3 Answers ]

Well, hey guyz. I am 18 years old male, live in New Jersey and have some question for you guys. Well, guyz I am half south asian and half european. My original skin complexion is somewhat fair to light. Until last summer, my complexion was great until I hit ACNE!! Since, obviously I wanted to get...

View more questions Search