Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellegraaf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
    JE for prior period
    How do I adjust an expense that was received and paid in April, but it refers to expenses in January? The period for January is already closed.
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Apr 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Technically you should have a prior period adjustment where you would debit retained earnings instead of the expense account in April. However, if your financial reporting period fell between January and April then you would have to restate your financial statements and this could be costly and time consuming. If you did produce your F/S and the item is immaterial then don't worry about it and just leave it in April. If you did not produce F/S then you have no problem and you can debit retained earnings instead of the expense account. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heavy brown discharge prior to my period [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently taking the pill but on Friday 1st DEC i realised that i had forgot to take it at my usually time and took it later in the day. By that time i had discovered brown discharge on my underpants. I first thought i had my periods but they are not due until Wednesday 6th DEC. My last...

Taxes on Dividends prior to entering US [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all I am a non-US resident who will be arriving on a L-1 visa in Texas by April. I do own investments in US under a W-8BEN form. I will change that upon arriving in US. My question is: Will I be taxed for any dividend and stock sale that happened in the current year but PRIOR to my arrival...

Divorced Prior to Audit, State MN [ 1 Answers ]

In 2003, the IRS audited my ex-spouse and I for the years of 2001 and 2002. We were divorced 11/20/2002. I filed with him jointly in 2002 as there was domestic assault issues and it was in my best interest to stay alive and healthy. He had threatened to kill me and our son numerous times. ...

New tenant with prior bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering renting to a person who declared bankruptcy last year. Credit report shows the problem stems from charges made in 2002 and in prior years. Her advisor recommended she declare before the laws changed last year. Credit report shows she no longer has any credit cards and has had no...

IRA's Prior to 1986 [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased some IRA's prior to 1986 as well as others after that period. I am trying to find out how the prior 1986 IRA's are treated when it comes time to do the Required Minimum Distribution. Thank you

View more questions Search