Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Did I do that Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Job Hunting
    Hello everyone,

I have to find work and am on probation, Worried no on will hire me. Where do I start. Are there certain types of jobs that hire people like me.
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Hardee's, McDonalds, Timber companies cutting trees and manual labor, farm labor ( feeding hogs, cows and the such)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
    There are many options depending on the offense. Do you mind sharing what you are on probation for?

Apr 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Alcohol related, To embarrassed to share.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
    It would help to know the reason you are on probation as it does make a difference for the kinds of jobs for which you are likely to get hired.

What you can do also depends on the skills that you have. So, it would be good to know those too.

I would go to a job service place first and fill out their forms and do the tests. Then you would have an interview with them. Be upfront about your situation.

Some communities have groups whose specific purpose is to find jobs for people who have been convicted of crimes. I would speak with your probation department and/or a social service agency concerning if there is such a group where you live.

Possible jobs right now without knowing your skills and what you were convicted of? Fast food, grocery store stock crew, meat processing plant, telemarketing, janitorial, farm work, roofing clean-up work for a roofing crew, almost any kind of manual labor job, etc.

Depending on your skills, you also may be able to do something where you are self-employed.

The important thing is to keep trying for a job. You will find one. Network with people, join some clubs or groups. It is very easy to sit back at home and get depressed and do nothing about getting a job.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
    What are your skills and interests?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Are you a high school and/or college graduate?

I got to go now. But, will be back later.

Apr 19, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Thank you all for your response's

I run a small finish carpentry company and have for 6 years but the work has dried up in my area, Before that I ran a lawn maintence company.

My charge was burglerly of an occupied dwelling under one dollar, I put a sweater that was on someone's patio on in a black out on vacation in the keys. I was drinking on my anxiety medications. I wish I could take it back but I can't only deal with it.

I am an extremely nervous person, One of my main concerns is getting a job that will allways have work for me as long as I perform. The amount I earn is secondary.

Thanks again I have no idea how I found this site

Apr 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Graduate high school
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
    First I guess even being a police officer and tough on crime, that sounds like a totally too serious charge for what you did. Should have been plead down to a criminal trespass or something.

But sadly I will just be blunt, many places will look at the word burlerly and will not read the rest of the sentence. ( just my opinion)

And of course there is no promise that any job will always have work, I have seen factor after factory close, most small business close within 2 years because of poor management or not enough funding.

So you expand your finish carpentry to do rough in, do some sub=contracting work. The construction business no matter what some of the TV news says is expanding greatly. I talked to my son this morning and they have contracts for buiding new houses that will take almost a year to complete with crews of 30 to 50 people. Work is there, perhaps you need to hire a salesperson to bid and get jobs for you to build your business if that is your weak point, Perhaps you can do lawn maintence and carpenty at the same time. My yard person makes his living off doing the years, he landscapes, muches around trees, even brings in gravel and bark to make things perfect.

Apr 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Thank You Chuck,

Very serious, I dropped a lot of money, just to keep out of prison.
    Construction here is dead, 7000 units for sale and no one is buying.

Will try to keep the corporation open as long as possible but I am thinking at some point It will not be cost effective.

Been hitting my knees in the morning praying for guidance

Thanks again
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
    It looks like you have some marketable skills. I don't know where you live. It would help to know that. If it is a small to mid-sized town you may have to do some travelling to get work.

In addition to the good points that Fr. Chuck mentioned as quoted below, what about being a handyman specializing in carpentry?

When you are self-employed, chances are that people out of their homes, who don't know you and want you to work for them are going to want some references, maybe some pictures of work that you have done, proof of insurance, etc. But, they are not likely to be wanting to know all about any criminal activity in your past. Just having good, reliable references usually takes care of the issue about your past.

I am entirely self-employed in various ways. Get calls every week from locals for the things that I can do. Even get calls from around the nation sometimes because of brass refinishing and piano key replacement, but especially being a handyman. Owners of rental properties and senior living places frequently don't live in the same locations where their properties are located.

How do they find out that I am available as a handyman in the IA - IL Quad Cities if they are located in the state of New York? Because they see the ads that I have put on the Internet.

All of the ads are FREE!

If you type in a Google search or any search engine for that matter Clough Quad Cities, or Handyman Quad Cities, or for any of the other things that I do, you will find my ads all over the place. Some of them I word so that people will find me by accident. For instance, one time someone was looking for goats in Iowa (they are an animal rescue operation) and came across one of my piano tuning ads. They decided to have their piano tuned. I also give specials at certain times of the year - Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc.

If you look at my ads, you will get an idea how to word yours, if that is something that you decide to do.

If you would like any more information, please let me know.

I do wish you well! Life does, and will go on!

"So you expand your finish carpentry to do rough in, do some sub=contracting work. The construction business no matter what some of the TV news says is expanding greatly. I talked to my son this morning and they have contracts for building new houses that will take almost a year to complete with crews of 30 to 50 people. Work is there, perhaps you need to hire a salesperson to bid and get jobs for you to build your business if that is your weak point, Perhaps you can do lawn maintenance and carpentry at the same time. My yard person makes his living off of doing the years, he landscapes, muches around trees, even brings in gravel and bark to make things perfect."
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 05:47 PM
    I don't know how close you are to the hurricane affected areas, but they are dying for good construction help.

I work in a call center and although the burglary would definitely make me pause, it would not be an automatic strike out. Managers are hurting for people that want to work and there are many of us that realize that people make dumb mistakes sometimes.

Good luck.
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
    I know in MO there are some companies that only hire those with legal status to work in the US, and many of them can't find the trained people to keep up. Now the pay scale may be always a issue, many of the growing areas pay skill help a lot less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job hunting [ 1 Answers ]

I really need a job. I need to the money to save up for college Where is the best place to get a job a 16?

Job hunting at 47 [ 2 Answers ]

I live in CT and have some problems in my job search. How do you combat issues such as: I took 8 yrs off from FT work to work only PT jobs to raise family (I worked consistently for 13 yrs prior) & then, after a divorce in 2000, was unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs (God only knows how I survived that) due...

View more questions Search