Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 02:58 PM
    Depends on what I meant as to your being wrong. Sorry I didn't quote you. The inclusion of Revelation wasn't a slam-dunk.

Jesus wouldn't use the same words today? Well, He wouldn't speak in Aramaic. Other than that, what is your point? Do you think He would now say, "Sorry guys. I got it all wrong 2,000 years ago. There really is no hell, gay marriage is the way to go, and everyone should vote democrat."
    I'm sure Jesus wouldn't use the words He did in 30 A.D. And He very likely wouldn't vote either Dem or Repub. He'd start a new party.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2019, 03:06 PM
    His message would not change since His message was the truth. Phrased differently? Perhaps, but not a new message.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 04:42 PM
    Maybe it is YOU who should listen closer to YOUR savior. On judgement day what will you tell your God when you refused to care for the weary stranger that shows up seeking shelter? Or explain why you went along with one that turned them away? I think many will have a lot of explaining to do for judging poorly their fellow men, women, and children.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    His message would not change since His message was the truth. Phrased differently? Perhaps, but not a new message.
    I love how you add to what I said. Grrrrr. If Jesus spoke to us today, He would use very different words and terms. Then you'd very likely raise your hand and ask for clarification and wonder why He's using different words and terms.

Yes, what Tal said!!!
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2019, 05:39 PM
    God when you refused to care for the weary stranger that shows up seeking shelter? Or explain why you went along with one that turned them away? I think many will have a lot of explaining to do for judging poorly their fellow men, women, and children.
    Talking about judging. How would you possibly know what I have done or refused to do? What a terribly prejudiced statement. And you want to point a finger at Trump?? Having border security is a role of the federal government. Obama did it as well.

I love how you add to what I said. Grrrrr. If Jesus spoke to us today, He would use very different words and terms.
    Not real sure how I added to what you said. I also have no idea how you would know that Jesus would use "very different words and terms," other than He would speak in a different language.
    Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 06:23 PM
    Talking about judging. How would you possibly know what I have done or refused to do? What a terribly prejudiced statement. And you want to point a finger at Trump?? Having border security is a role of the federal government. Obama did it as well.
    Maybe I am judging and rather harshly, but how could you possibly be threatened by tired, hungry, and afraid men, women, and children? How could anyone? Is not the characterization of them by the dufus bearing a false witness against them?

Please don't compare what Obama did, like you always try to, to what the dufus is doing, because if you're honest you would see the BIG difference in words, actions and behaviors.

You don't need security, you need food blankets and beds and since we have pictures of them coming and know why, no excuse NOT to be ready and process them humanely. It's just simple basic decency, even though some will not be able to stay. Better yet, stop threatening Mexico, and partner in dealing with this humanitarian crisis.

Yes I'm judging and harshly. If that's not okay, pray for me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 06:33 PM
    Not real sure how I added to what you said. I also have no idea how you would know that Jesus would use "very different words and terms," other than He would speak in a different language.
    Different language from ours? You mean to say Jesus doesn't know English????

You implied I said His message would change in 2019. Back then, He used words and terms His listeners understood and could relate to. Today He would use words and terms WE would understand. (Didn't I say this already???)
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2019, 06:33 PM
    Oh well. I was too harsh in my response, so we're even. I've told you before I value your frankness, and I still do. And I will certainly pray for you.

I don't think you can equate border security with refusing to help people in need. I don't honestly know how to help all of those people. It's a great challenge, but just letting them cross the border unchecked is a recipe for disaster.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 06:38 PM
    Oh well. I was too harsh in my response, so we're even. I've told you before I value your frankness, and I still do. And I will certainly pray for you.
    Awwwwww! You're sweet! Like we say in NC, "bless his little heart!" (P.S. I'm thanking you.)

I don't think you can equate border security with refusing to help people in need. I don't honestly know how to help all of those people. It's a great challenge, but just letting them cross the border unchecked is a recipe for disaster.
    There's border security that works and there's border security that looks like it works, but doesn't.

How to help refugees and immigrants: every Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Unitarian, agnostic, atheist group in this country should pitch in to help with food, clothing, housing, and job hunting, just like we did during the Tet Offensive.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2019, 06:49 PM
    Awwwwww! You're sweet! Like we say in NC, "bless his little heart!" (P.S. I'm thanking you.)
    Aw shucks.

there's border security that looks like it works, but doesn't.
    Yes. That's what we are using now which is why we need a wall.

How to help refugees and immigrants: every Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Unitarian, agnostic, atheist group in this country should pitch in to help with food, clothing, housing, and job hunting, just like we did during the Tet Offensive.
    You had me until you referred to the Tet Offensive. That was during the Vietnam War. I'm not sure what you are referring to if that's what you meant.

As to Jesus changing His words, if you meant that Jesus would speak in a different language and perhaps use different examples in His parables, then I'm with you on that, though that would seem to be so blindingly obvious that I don't know why it would have needed to be said, but perhaps I'm just completely missing your point.

You growled at me earlier (Grrrr). It alarmed me so much that I had to go to my safe space.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 6, 2019, 06:52 PM
    Back then, He used words and terms His listeners understood
    Yet, not even the apostle's knew what he was talking about.

Today He would use words and terms WE would understand.
    How do you figure?

Maybe it is YOU who should listen closer to YOUR savior.
    Jesus is your savior too.

On judgement day what will you tell your God

Good reason to put ones trust in Jesus, he is interceding on our (His and mine) behalf.

Or explain why you
    It's no longer about 'me' (you). Its all Jesus, Baby!

I think many will have a lot of explaining to do
    Explain away...just know, it will not end good for those that do.
    Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 06:57 PM
    We agree the challenge is enormous but I think the efforts of the volunteers and the churches is the place to start and working as tirelessly as they do is a good example for the government to follow. A humane process is what I've been saying for the longest and if we can have great debts to give the rich it follows we can have great debt to the needy as well. I'm no Christian admittedly, but that in no way means I don't believe in God or the works that follow good orderly direction. That's just my idea of a secure border... helping those that need, and ask for it.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but everybody knows I'm as flawed as they come. Thank you for the prayers.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2019, 07:10 PM
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but everybody knows I'm as flawed as they come. Thank you for the prayers.
    Part of our common humanity. Both of us.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 6, 2019, 07:29 PM
    Would a wall prevent people trekking towered the US-Mexico border?
    Trekking to the Border is where they suffer the greatest maltreatment.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 6, 2019, 07:35 PM
    You had me until you referred to the Tet Offensive. That was during the Vietnam War. I'm not sure what you are referring to if that's what you meant.
    You musta not been borned yet. During and after (and maybe even before, as things deteriorated in Viet Nam) churches of various faiths reached out to Vietnamese refugees. My congregation sponsored three families, found homes for them, helped them get settled and find jobs. They all are wonderful people and have become a vital part of Chicago and its suburbs. Many now own their own businesses and were able to send their children to college. I was a sub and volunteer at our Lutheran school and was privileged to tutor our sponsorees in English. one family invited me to their house for afternoon tea where I ate my very first banh mi sandwich.

As to Jesus changing His words, if you meant that Jesus would speak in a different language and perhaps use different examples in His parables, then I'm with you on that, though that would seem to be so blindingly obvious that I don't know why it would have needed to be said, but perhaps I'm just completely missing your point.
    Yes, I thought it went right over your head because you didn't want to give up the possibility of hellfire licking at human ankles.

You growled at me earlier (Grrrr). It alarmed me so much that I had to go to my safe space.
    Ha, ha, you're funny. I'm starting to like you!
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2019, 05:44 AM
    Yes, I thought it went right over your head because you didn't want to give up the possibility of hellfire licking at human ankles.
    You cannot claim to believe the teachings of the Bible and then ignore the parts you don't like. It's either true or it's not true. I've elected to believe it is true.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2019, 10:57 AM
    Where in the bible does it say some weary travelers are illegal so must be deported? Sorry man but curious minds want to know which are the true parts and which are the made up stuff by modern ideologues, or intentionally or accidentally misinterpreted.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2019, 11:33 AM
    You cannot claim to believe the teachings of the Bible and then ignore the parts you don't like. It's either true or it's not true. I've elected to believe it is true.
    I'm not ignoring the parts I don't like. The Bible is made up of poetry, parables, allegories and many other literary devices, wisdom sayings and proverbs, etc. We know this did not really happen: Isaiah 55:12 "You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." Did a great fish really swallow Jonah and then spit him out, or is that an allegory? Did Lot's wife really turn into a pillar of salt? Was the Flood worldwide or local? Are we to understand the entire Bible literally, that every word is true?
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2019, 11:51 AM
    You're being evasive. " you didn't want to give up the possibility of hellfire licking at human ankles." You're the one who raised the issue.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 7, 2019, 11:58 AM
    You're being evasive. " you didn't want to give up the possibility of hellfire licking at human ankles." You're the one who raised the issue.
    Nope, hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet. You and I both know that fundamentalist/conservative Christians take the hellfire verses very literally and see it as a heaven-or-hellfire situation. I'm not so sure it's that black or white, whereas from what I've read in your posts, you are sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bible question about Lucifer [ 14 Answers ]

Satan/Lucifer Worship Leader? In my 63 years I have never heard a sermon or read a book that suggests that Satan was not a musical being, a worship leader, until now. We are studying Jim Richard's book, Satan Unmasked. In it he claims that Satan was not a worship leader and in fact had nothing to...

Which Bible? [ 35 Answers ]

The canon of the New Testament was not settled upon until the Council of Nicaea in the year 325. This is the canon recognized by nearly all Christians the world over. The canon of the Old Testament remained in a state of flux for centuries after Nicaea. Whereas the canon of the NT is familiar...

God and the Bible [ 43 Answers ]

The Bible contains two main parts : the Old Testament and the New Testament. Both are claimed to be valid Testaments, either written by God or written by humans who were guided by God. The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction : Jealous and proud of...

Ist Question in the Bible [ 11 Answers ]

What is the first question, in the Bible, asked of God by Man? And God doesn't answer. Some people think the rest of the bible is the answer. Your thoughts please.

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

View more questions Search