Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Apr 19, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Rough In Plumbing
    This is how a plumber has roughed-in a section with a tub & toilet.

I would have thought the vent would have been put on the toilet end.

Please view pic... and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Just a quick question pleases. Is this the fix for the back up you were getting on your previous post with the hoot system?
    dannac Posts: 267, Reputation: 9

Apr 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Hi ballengerb1

No, this has nothing to do with the Hoot system.

This is how the guy/plumber roughed-in my house 30 years ago.
    I sure didn't know anything about plumbing back then ( I was 23)

I just noticed this now, while looking behind my tub/trap door and looking at the way the vents were routed in the attic.

It just seems to me, the vent should have been put on this side of the toilet, as per picture.
    Just trying to get some ideas if this is correct or not... just for my own curiosity.

As for the Hoot system... the tank was getting full causing the toilet bubbles.

The sump pump seemed to have a mind of its own, sometimes it would come on, sometimes it wouldn't. I guess that's why we only heard it 3 or 4 times in a span of about
    Three weeks.

Here's what was happening... the eletrical wires to the sump pump were tied to the plastic discharge pipe with a plastic cable tie.
    The cable tie broke... allowing the wires to hang write over the path of the float that would rise with the water and turn the sump pump on.

The wires would not let the float rise high enough to turn on the sump pump.
    Tank would become completely full... then when the blower would kick on with the
    Tank completely full... I guess it would cause enough of a commotion in the tank to allow the float to slip pass the wires and turn the sump pump on.

Weird... heh!. easy fix though.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
    I had one just as weird. A picture frame fell from a shelf and landed in my open sump pump pit. My first clue was wet carpet in the basement.
    The piping looks fine. Try this site for your curiosity solver. Home Tips: Drain, Waste, and Vent Plumbing Systems

Have good one
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dannac
    This is how a plumber has roughed-in a section with a tub & toilet.

I would have thought the vent would have been put on the toilet end.

Please view pic ... and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Hey Dan,

The plumber vented the job correctly. If he had installed the vent upstream from the tub he would have had to install a separate vent for the tub. As it is the toilet's wet vented by the tub. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rough plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

When doing a rough plumbing can you install all fixtures on the same stack or do you have to install the toilet on its own?

Rough in plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add a shower to a 1/2 roughed basement. It already has a toilet and sink rough. I'm wondering were to attach the shower drain, and does it need a separate vent or will the vent from the sink work. I know it needs a p trap and it will be 2" pipe. Any other suggestions would help...

Rough in Plumbing Help Needed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I would like to rough in the following valves and would like some guidance. I contacted the manufacturer and they provided minimal help. While I do have experience having put in only 5 new baths for friends and family, some if these values type are new to me. Thanks The final...

Rough plumbing in a slab [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a tub with a center drain, in the basement of my house. We have done the rough plumbing and will soon pour the slab. My plumber tells me that I can not buy a tub with a center drain because of the slab. Is this true? If not how should I set the rough plumbing.

View more questions Search