Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RahRahReRe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Harbor Breeze ceiling fan worked 1 day then not the next
    We recently bought a 52 inch harbor breeze ceiling fan. We live in a house that was built in the early 1960's and the wiring colors do not match the ceiling fan wiring colors. But my husband figured it out and got the fan and lights to work. We turned the light on this morning and there was nothing, no light no fan, nothing. We checked the breaker and flipped the wall switch on and off again, pulled the chains still nothing. We have 2 of the exact same fans in our family room and the one over the kitchen table works perfect. It's just the one at the other end of the room we are having trouble with. This has happened twice in the same location. We returned the first one because we thought it was defective. But then it has happened again. We have not been using the fan because the weather has been chilly. So it just went out. We heard no noise or anything come from the fan. Any thing you could do to help us with this problem would greatly be appreciated.
    Thank you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I would first check for 120vac at the wall switch. If you have power to the switch then check for power at the box above the fan. Could be as simple as a slipped wire nut or a bad wall switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
    If both the fan and light are dead, either it is a problem with your power supply, a bad connection in the ceiling, or a bad connection inside the switch housing.

Confirm there is 120vAC at the fan connections (as suggested) and confirm all wire connections are secure. You can also open up the switch housing and confirm the white wire is connected both to the fan and light wiring.

The fact that you have had two problems with the a fan in the same location leads me to believe it is your house wiring. Regardless of the color of the house wires, if you connect the black and blue fan leads to one wire, and the white to the other, it should work.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HARBOR Breeze Ceiling Fan [ 16 Answers ]

We have a harbor breeze ceiling fan. The blades have quit turning but the motor continues to hum when switch is on. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? I called Lowe's and they told me to turn the blades by hand with the switch off and if I heard a buzz it was probably the ball...

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan [ 3 Answers ]

The Bulb In This Fan Has Blown Out. How Do I Remove The Globe To Change The Bulb. Model # Ac552----item # 18267 Jun 01

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan [ 6 Answers ]

Have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with remote and the power was shut off from the circuit breaker box and now my fan or light will not come on. Checked the connections, dip for the remote and reset the circuits but no luck. Any one with any ideas please pass along. Thanks

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently gotten a Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan with 4-lights installed (by a professional), remote control operated, but now it is not working! It does not operate with the remote control. Is there a way to by-pass the remote and manually operate it? Or, does the remote needs replacement? I...

View more questions Search