Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cchotiner333 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Changing things that are taught.
    I was thinking after what has happened at Virginia Tech, that something has to be done to make the children not do that anymore. So my ideas are: teach respect, teach kindness and love and to go along with that, teach children first aid, self disipline, self defence and teach them how to act if they were under attack. Have actual classes on this. I think that it should be taught on all levels of education, from pre-k through the highest college level. I think these things should be a requirement at schools not just an option. When I was in the fourth grade for instance, I had a series of things taught to me, at my public elemtary school. The series was called B.A.T. or basic aide training. We learned so much. I think it was a six week thing. We learned what to do in a fire, what to do if someone got cut deeply, we even learnd CPR and what that meant. It impacted my life because I can still remember it and that was 18 years ago. I may be in the wrong category with this but, this sounded right. My question is this. How do I go about trying to get my thoughts heard by the right people? I'm not sure where to go with this. I really think people that have the power to change schools should hear my idea, even if it's shot down, I could at least get somone's wheel's turning in there mind about it all. Thank you for your time and have a good day.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 20, 2007, 10:18 AM
    I would approach the Parent/Teacher groups in your children's school about these possibilities. Even talking to the local principle might be a good first start. Local community and youth groups might also have similar programs they can offer or setup for local schools. Where I live, the YMCA/YWCA offer these kinds of classes for the general public. High schools here also have "Life Skills" classes where they try to teach these kinds of non-traditional subjects to the kids.

I would like to see Child & Youth Services be able to better respond to young people in despair. It is offensive to me that a kid in trouble has to wait for such a long time before they can get in to see someone (again, where I live - it takes anywhere from 3-8 weeks to get a troubled child in). Unless they make open threats to hurt themselves or others, you can't get these kids in to see a mental health professional in time, or often enough, to make much of a difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeing things [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site, so hopefully my answer will be fulfilled. My daughter lately this past week will out of the blue say that a man touched her. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. We asked her a series of questions, was it daddy, was in uncle so and so, we went down the list of males she...

How do I get my things after being evicted? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Christine, my sister was evicted with 3 small children. Her lanlord was a scum lord and he got away with a lot of money from her because my sister believed him. . She is now out of the place but has to get her things how does she go about this?

Ex wants to rekindle things. [ 7 Answers ]

If your ex says that he has wanted to rekindle things after school and it has been two years since you broke up but he keeps pursuing it and kept in contact all along and you both have had your lives and now it is close to him being done and now he tells you he might have a job offer in SF in a law...

Where things are going [ 2 Answers ]

I was chatting to a friend today and the comment was made that "most people after 3 years know where the relationship is going". Was just wondering how true that really is? And does it really matter?

View more questions Search