Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jul 14, 2004, 06:45 PM
    SM56 Motorola Internal Modem
    I have installed a modem of unknown brand with a motorolla sm56 chip onto a windows xp computer. It refuses to work properly and comes up with the error "The Device Cannot Start (Error Code 10)". I have tried every different driver I can find for the chip but nothing makes any difference. I have a theory and I don't know how much sense it makes. I once had the same problem with a completely different modem and I managed to find an install CD and ran the setup program. Whilst it was installing I noticed more devices were added to the device manager under sound, video and game controllers. My theory is that maybe I have the drivers for the Motorola chip but not drivers for any sound components that may be on the modem as well. Perhaps a better way of explaining this would be to say that I think the modem is made up of 3 or 4 "devices" but only 1 has been seen by windows xp so only drivers for this 1 have been installed. Therefore the OS can't start the modem. Can anybody tell me if this theory makes sense or if they have a better way of fixing it? Thanks for your help.
    MagikPoo Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2004, 12:32 PM
    Re: SM56 Motorola Internal Modem
    OK I need in put, what is your systems specs,
    And I already know the OS.

Your reading that card wrong its not the chip that you shoud be looking at it's the writing on the side of the card its usually, bolder white letter that run - now if your looking at the card the gold part that gos in the slot is facing and the phone jacks are to your left or right depending on the manufacurere - look at the card find the numbers and letters that go down the side or bottom or the acual cercuit board it self that should give you the board number, nest go to Google and search that name it should give you the manufaurer while at the maufaurer get the drivers for your modem,

Now with win xp do this:
    If modem is installed, turm off PC take out the modem,
    Put PC back together and plug in, in the my modem settingremove any bogus modems that are installed, don't worry about sound drivers yet- I'll explain later.

Turn off PC reinstall Modem, Put PC together again, Now let WinXP detect your modem, usually a universal driver might work i.e. but just to be on the safe side don't install that one yet, the drivers that you got from the maufacure
    Install that one.

About the sound, some modems intigrate there sound drivers to your sound card so you can hear when someone make some amoying MIDI file of wind benith my wings by bet middler, or some pathetic flash file with wonderful sound, also your modem could act like an awering machene, and you can hear the persons voice, coming out of your speakers, so your right. Give yourself a pat on the back for being so observant.

RULE #1 please groung yourself while working with elecronics and make sure the power on your PC is off and your system is unpluged.

I hope I helped in some way.

MagikPoo... Out!!
    ROCKEYJOEY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
    SM 56 Motorola Internal modem - troubles me
    I have purchased a pc-p4 with Motorola Internal Modem V.92 56K.
    S/N:P/L0407049824
    1. this motorola internal modem when connected to internet sometimes works. Most of the time it cuts off by freezing the mouse pointer & computer. Then, I have to reboot the pc.
    2. If you try attach a document to an e-mail (both hotmail & yahoo) the same problems repeated, freezing the mouse pointer & computer re-boots :eek: Anyone have (Motorola Inc.) solution to rectify this problem (glitch)?

If not I want to get rid of this modem! :mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKEYJOEY
    I have purchased a pc-p4 with Motorola Internal Modem V.92 56K.
    S/N:P/L0407049824
    1. this motorola internal modem when connected to internet sometimes works. Most of the time it cuts off by freezing the mouse pointer & computer. Then, I have to reboot the pc.
    2. If you try attach a document to an e-mail (both hotmail & yahoo) the same problems repeated, freezing the mouse pointer & computer re-boots :eek: Anyone have (Motorola Inc.) solution to rectify this problem (glitch)?

If not I want to get rid of this modem !! :mad:
    Have you contacted their tech support? Loading the correct drivers for your OS? Have you talked to your ISP, it may be on their end, not your modem.
    ROCKEYJOEY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Have you contacted their tech support? Loading the correct drivers for your OS? Have you talked to your ISP, it may be on their end, not your modem.
    I have loaded the software from Window XP then I have loaded the CD from Motorloa Inc. & tried. No use. I have conatced their Tech. support for help. Two e-mails from them. It was useless to talk with them for the refund of the money. They always blame the Service Provider (ISP). Creative & US Robotics & Volcano Modems are best performers in the market. I I have better change the modem & never buy any Motorola products in my life. The problem still persists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internal repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I am a bookkeeper in a repair shop the employs vehicles that make road repairs. In this instance though, the vehicle needing the repair is our own. We just switched computer systems recently, and this new system requires us to create a full invoice for this kind of transaction. Prior to this,...

Motorola [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I have a Motorola (Verizon Wireless) v325 phone and I want to transfer ringtones and pictures to and from the phone. I have Motorola Phone Tools v3 and it is too outdated and I have spent enough money on usb cables and other software. Is there any good software that WILL work, so I don't...

Internal and external vga & Video card with TV out... [ 2 Answers ]

Ho.. sorry I an a beginner on this field... I want to buy a vga or video card for watching movies loaded in my computer on my TV screen.. so I want to know what is the difference between the VGA and The Video card.. my computer is pentium 4 so if I bought a 256 mb vga card or video card with...

Sm56 internal motorola dial up modem [ 4 Answers ]

Just purchased a new PC with a motorola sm 56 internal dial up modem there are 3 accounts on the PC .the first person to open the internet conn is fine but if that person logs off and leaves the net conn open for another account user to use when they log on its telling them the net is connected but...

View more questions Search